• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet438

Stem won’t go in

I’m doing my first watch build. I’m using an sw200-1 movement. I’m up to the point where I have the stem out and I’ve cased the movement. I’ve tried to reinstall the stem but it’ll only go so far (barely where the hands will move) and won’t go any further. I don’t want to force anything but would rather ask the experts.

What am I doing wrong and how do I correct it?

Try to wiggle the stem in, turn as well as you insert. 

Check set lever and mech for castle and winding pinoin disalignement.

Yeah, that didn’t work. I think I’ll try to find a local Smith and have him look at it...maybe he can even show me what I did wrong so I don’t do it again.

15 minutes ago, simon2 said:

The clutch wheel may have dropped out of place. Time to take the dial off

And if that happened, allow me to wish you a warm welcome into the interesting and sometimes frustrating world of watchmaking. :taz:

• Haha 1

Much like a 2824-2 the stem should be removed in the hand setting position, as it is less likely to cause problems when refitting.

Less likely for the clutch to move out of position.

• Like 1

crown gear up set.  "dial off" -   to avoid this, put somthing like the the stem back into the mvt., as soon as posable before moveing  it around too much.  vin