• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
scottswatches

1959 Rolex GMT on eBay

How much?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. end sale price

• Under £10,000
    • 10,001 to 20,000
    • 20,001 to 30,000
    • 30,001 to 40,000
    • 40,001 to 50,000
    • 50k plus

Absolutely no idea but there have been some crazy prices for tropic dials, theres no bracelet? So thats going to knock it, I know nothing about them and so wouldnt know if its a special fat this, or red that. So im just going to go for a ball park for an ordinary plexi gmt like @BondandBigM got for his 40th. So im going to go in at 10 grand to 20 grand, something tells me it should be about 3 grand but i know the vintage rolex market is daft. 

I voted for "under £10,000" based on the fact it looks bloody knackered, plus the description doesn't offer any interesting history or provenance - Just to be clear,  it's not the ACTUAL watch from Pussy Galore, is it...? :tongue:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I voted for "under £10,000" based on the fact it looks bloody knackered, plus the description doesn't offer any interesting history or provenance - Just to be clear,  it's not the ACTUAL watch from Pussy Galore, is it...? :tongue:

it will look knackered its from @BondandBigM's birth year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Davey P said:

it's not the ACTUAL watch from Pussy Galore

doubt it. 

Just now, BondandBigM said:

In the promo shots Pussy Galore's was a Pepsi GMT. 

Hard to say how much but I'll go for about £10/15K.

:)

thats what i voted 10k to 20k

I reckon it will go for £18750

give or take. 

3 hours ago, scottswatches said:

I have no idea what the final price for one of these would be, so without doing any research let's have a guess

why don't they re-lume it?  it would be worth at least twice as much

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

why don't they re-lume it?  it would be worth at least twice as much

I get you! Thats about how much i'd pay for it the price of some lume and double the price of the lume it it had been done. 

It looks crap. 

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

It looks crap. 

It's a sports watch.

"I've been thinking though again why we like sports watches best and i think its because we like divers watches and chronos best and thats because they are sporty and not dressy, which is cooler. "

• Like 1

Just now, WRENCH said:

It's a sports watch.

"I've been thinking though again why we like sports watches best and i think its because we like divers watches and chronos best and thats because they are sporty and not dressy, which is cooler. "

oh well i think i prefer dress watches then. 

win some loose some

• Haha 1

Just now, Jet Jetski said:

Yeah, I was only half joking

yeh me to they can keep it and the lume

6 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

It's a sports watch.

But I wouldn't try to sell my beat-up Pro-trek for 100 times what I paid for it.  And I don't think anyone would want to buy it because it had been 'broken in'!

Real men destroy their own watches, they don't have to buy one already destroyed.

Just now, Nigelp said:

yeh me to they can keep it and the lume

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jet Jetski said:

Real men destroy their own watches, they don't have to buy one already destroyed.

Exactly, sort of like buying a new pair of jeans with holes in them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Its junk that will end up behind glass on display in the residence of a rich bore... so I reckon £25K

Probably. Maybe more even.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Probably. Maybe more even.

There is a dealer of beaten up antique Roleys fairly near me .... he reckons almost everyone he sells never gets worn. The last GMT he sold was from the early 60s and it went for daft money and it was not exactly in a pretty state. He said he was even embarrassed to sell it. Funnily enough , I sort of understand collecting to display that sort of stuff more than buying a 1990s Daytona for stupid money and wearing it .... the former makes more sense to me personally although neither would be a chosen pastime pour moi.....

• Like 1

I like it! but I have a very odd liking for a beat up diver/sports watch! I have done a couple up (my Tag for example looked like this to start with) but then I love watching rebuilder guy and barn finds on you tube, seem to have a thing for neglected items being brought back to life!

Edited by no8yogi
  • Thanks 1

I like older Rolex models but the whole market for the sports models just seems crazy and so hyped up.

Not unlike the modern S/S sports market.

I quite like the older understated models, my dad has a 1970 oyster perpetual stainless steel, silver baton dial, no date  and I think its timeless.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cosmic55 said:

... dad has a 1970 oyster perpetual stainless steel, silver baton dial, no date  and I think its timeless.

'Timeless' seems a rather contradictory compliment to pay to a timepiece. 

8 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

'Timeless' seems a rather contradictory compliment to pay to a timepiece. 

True