• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Graham60

Eight and a half months in the making.

Well after Eight and a half months and changes to it, my first Kickstarter watch has finally arrived. Was originally meant to have ETA 2893-2 but it now has the Sellita SW330-1, stretch goal of an Oyster bracelet was also change to a leather strap, minute hand was changed. This was my first Kickstarter and it will also be my last, didn't realise (naivety on my part) just how little support there is for backers from Kickstarter, if you encounter problems, delays or changes are made that you weren't made aware of or disagree with. After all that I still like the watch (although if I had known at the start it wasn't coming with the ETA movement then I wouldn't have backed it) but it's been a heck of a Journey getting here, as for the Creators (Meccaniche Veneziane) have to say my opinion of them is as low as you can get.

Anyway to the watch.

Meccaniche Veneziane Nereide GMT Topazio Crema Cal: MV297 (Sellita SW330-1 with Custom Rotor).

42 mm, 316L Stainless Steel

Anti-reflective Domed Sapphire Glass

Old Radium Swiss Superluminova®

Unidirectional rotatable, Enamelled Aluminium Bezel

20ATM

Came with :- Main Strap - Real vintage leather Made in Italy,

Mesh bracelet, Jubilee Bracelet, Perlon Strap and an extra Brown Leather Strap (Instead of Oyster Bracelet)

ab57-crop8-crop6

• Like 6

I've always loved the style/design of italian-swiss watches.

This is one BEAUTIFUL watch in my opinion. Would have been nice if it had an ETA movement but it's still alright.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eight and a half months in the making, nearly full term...have you both named it yet ? :tongue:

Seriously, it’s a nice looking watch!

Enjoy Sir.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I like the watch @Graham60 pity about the Kickstarter hassle.

12 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

Shame about the problems,but that’s a great looking watch.

Yes I really like the watch too, but the problems with the creators has left a bad taste as far as Kickstarter and the brand itself goes.

Biggest part for me was the complete lack of communication about the problems that they were having, especially regarding the ETA movement, assembly, quality control and delivery schedule, and once the problem became known, their complete lack of acknowledgement that change of movement was a big deal for quite few of the backers. As far as they were concerned if the watch looked the same, what difference does changing the movement ETA to Sellita make. It's was only after the original delivery timescale had passed that the problems they were having slowly started to surface and even then they kept saying everything is ok and on schedule. I seem to be one of the lucky ones, because even after the deliveries finally started, backers were receiving watches with misaligned GMT hands, straps and spare bezels missing and despite being made aware of this and promising to make the quality control better, some have still been receiving watches with hands misaligned. Even the Microbrand Store have dropped them because of this campaign, they have not been happy with some of the watches they received for their customers and also the lack of communication.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Sellitas are basically ETAs, and I've seen quite a few accounts of them keeping better time, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

As for Kickstarter, that's why I avoid it. Some on there have a track record and I'm sure are creditable, but I've read too many horror stories about (non-watch) products that I'm not willing to take the risk.

It'll get to the point where Kickstarter themselves will need to do something about it -- some sort of accreditation or audit, maybe insurance -- or they'll go out of business.

Edited by longplay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, longplay said:

The Sellitas are basically ETAs, and I've seen quite a few accounts of them keeping better time, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

As for Kickstarter, that's why I avoid it. Some on there have a track record and I'm sure are creditable, but I've read too many horror stories about (non-watch) products that I'm not willing to take the risk.

It'll get to the point where Kickstarter themselves will need to do something about it -- some sort of accreditation or audit, maybe insurance -- or they'll go out of business.

I agree with you about Kickstarter, at the moment it seems like the perfect place for the unscrupulous out there to take advantage of unwary backers. I backed the campaign as they had two previously successful campaigns and I like the package on offer, thought all would be ok, but turns out before those two campaigns they had done other campaigns which had problems under a previous name, probably why they changed their name.

As you say they need to do something.

Kickstarter is only a platform for investing. And you are doing just that, often investing in people with nothing more than an idea and a concept. I feel you are in a slightly better position with it as at least the minimum funding has to be met, which means there are X other people who think the same. 

And at the end of it you have a tangible piece. I do feel sorry for those who have had difficulty, but ultimately this is an investment and can go both ways. In not sure the level of guarantee Kickstarter give after its funded. 

The watch looks good BTW

Edited by al_kaholik
  • Thanks 1

There are some appearing on eBay at the moment quoting 21600 bpm. Does yours have that beat? Also their site seems rather elusive on the movement offered possibly intimating that it’s Not eta Or sellita!!! 

Definitely 28,800 beats, and their web site isn't the best for origin of the movements. For the Nereide GMT, it's a Sellita movement, has the all the Sellita coding on it, with 25 jewels and 2019 manufacture code. Everybody has been checking their watches for this code because, when they couldn't get ETA movements they said the Sellitas replacing them were brand new made this year, but a 100 of the movements had a 2017 manufacture code on them, in response MV posted an email from Sellita saying this was a mistake during manufacture and they were made this year.

I think the NON GMT version of the Nereide (and their other watches) have an STP1-11 or STP1-13 in them, with their customisation they then give it their caliber reference. I think that's where they are saying it's comparable with ETA and Sellita.

The Nereide GMT was going to be their first watch with an ETA movement, but now has the Sellita instead.

This is a video from the microband store

1 hour ago, redmonaco said:

There are some appearing on eBay at the moment quoting 21600 bpm. Does yours have that beat? Also their site seems rather elusive on the movement offered possibly intimating that it’s Not eta Or sellita!!! 

Ok just a little update, I see what you might be looking at on ebay now, that's older versions of the MV Nereide range with the Cal MV135 which I think is a Depa movement, they were from an earlier campaign, they were 21,600 beats. The watches on their web site are newer models and have different movements to some of those on sale on Ebay. It's a bit confusing with having the same name on the watch, but is actually different versions.

On their website they say "beating all its “sister-movements”, among which the famous ETA 2824 or Sellita SW200" which I understand to mean their movement is better than ETA or Sellita. They are referring to the non GMT neriede I might add.

6 hours ago, redmonaco said:

On their website they say "beating all its “sister-movements”, among which the famous ETA 2824 or Sellita SW200" which I understand to mean their movement is better than ETA or Sellita. They are referring to the non GMT neriede I might add.

On the web site is the specs for the Nereide 3, a recent release, which has the STP1-11 it.

I've read about this on FB and all the problems that people have had.

I'm sorry to hear of them - although I believe the Sellita may be available cheaper than the ETA now - I assume that's because of the ever reducing supply? I think the Sellita is at least comparable - and given the changing supply - it was a fair alternative.

I certainly think the other changes shouldn't have happened - but I do think you've ended up with a very nice watch - and, although its small consolation - yours does seem to b e better than some of the other horror stories I've seen.

However, I hope this doesn't put you off KS for good - as there are some great watches to be had - its just that whatever format you buy - there's always a chance of a rouge 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Graham60 said:

On the web site is the specs for the Nereide 3, a recent release, which has the STP1-11 it.

Ah, finally understand. Many thanks for highlighting the movement name. Wish I'd bought one when they were on a special price now!!

• Like 1