• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

My Seiko Bargain Of The Year

Always quite fancied an SKX009, but didn't want to pay the £389 the shops wanted, or in fact the £300 I could have bought it off of eBay for. To be honest, I didn't even want to buy one for the £200 it would cost for a mint used one. Last week I was looking through Gumtree, and noticed someone was selling a barely used one for £95. We ended up settling for £90 inclusive of first class post. Two days later it was in my ownership. This watch looks absolutely new, and I didn't even have to adjust the strap. I have bought and sold many watches, but this isn't going anywhere.

2irAGic.jpg

• Like 3

It might be fine, there does seem to be a lot of information on how to spot a fake skx out there, so its best checking for the things mentioned in these before buying. 

https://www.thewatchsite.com/12-reference-articles-faq-model-guides/52130-how-spot-fake-skx.html

wus seem to have gone into lots of detail. May be its a bigger issue than it appears with these? 

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/feiko-fake-seiko-skx007-skx009-traits-772685.html

bezel plip looks smaller and much more recessed on Johns, but it could all just be the angle or the light. 

other than the smooth bezel, it seems to check out as genuine against the other cosmetic criteria in this list off wus. Obvious give aways would be at 4, 5 6,7 9and 11 on the list and it looks good in these respects, but these things are getting better all the time. I'd be amazed though if they got all this right and did a bezel so smooth. Im sure its the light. But only another picture confirming a deeper cut will confirm that, as the other link refers to bezel cuts. 

1. Fake case number. (7S26-7039) There is no 7039 diver with 7S26 movement.
  2. A 5 etched on the crystal. It is the Seiko5 emblem.
  3. Some dial fonts are blatantly different. Use the Diver's Reference pictures to compare fonts.
  4. The line from the 6 o'clock hour marker should be directly underneath the S on the DIVER'S 200m. It is underneath (slightly on the right side) of the R on some fakes.
  5. The font on the real one is BOLD and on a fake it is normal.
  6. The width of the word Automatic is the same width as Seiko on some fakes. Automatic is slightly wider on the real deal.
  7. Divers 200m written in white (supposed to be red/orange).
  8. Fake SN's - (maybe 302137), 655859, 337461, 542252, 543187, 996479, 996460, 820061, 701032, & 700418. On some fakes, the 9964 looks uniform but the last two digits look like they are hand stamped. Be leary of any 9964XX. (any more???)
  9. Font on the bezel is wrong. 10 should be a straight line and not have tick mark.
  10. Bezel lume pip is abnormally large.
  11. On a 009, the red & blue paint meet on the bezel should split the 20 right down the middle. On some fakes it shaves the left side of the 0 while others is splits the 2.
  12. Second hand should have the meatball. Some fakes have a second hand with a spear tip sort of like a SS Samurai or mid-size SKX013/015.
  13. Close-up of the hour marker borders shows uneven lume distribution.
  14. No dial code located below the 6 o'clock marker.
  15. Slight case variations near the crown. The polished upper scallop on the crown guard on the lower side of the crown is in the wrong proportion. It's hard to tell unless you compare it side by side with a real 0020 case.
  16. Most fakes have plastic clicksprings. The real ones are metal. Also many of these bezels often have a plastic track in the underside of the rotating bezel ring (to work with the click spring). In real ones the track is part of the metal ring, not a separate plastic piece.
  17. Japan Diver's on the caseback. Should be Scuba Diver's.
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

Always quite fancied an SKX009, but didn't want to pay the £389 the shops wanted, or in fact the £300 I could have bought it off of eBay for. To be honest, I didn't even want to buy one for the £200 it would cost for a mint used one. Last week I was looking through Gumtree, and noticed someone was selling a barely used one for £95. We ended up settling for £90 inclusive of first class post. Two days later it was in my ownership. This watch looks absolutely new, and I didn't even have to adjust the strap. I have bought and sold many watches, but this isn't going anywhere.

2irAGic.jpg

good show !!  --- for 90 bucks,  it does not matter,  but i hope you are lucky !

Edited by vinn
add more info

prices for these do seem to have gone up, last time i looked in about 2015 they are about 120 quid on creation now 195 and thats cheap it seems. Even dafter prices being asked for urchins...though cash convertors have one for an okish 70 quid. 

I had a 007 on a jubilee bracelet a while back. now i wish i hadnt sold it as prices seem to have skyrocked on them recently.

I still have a spare jubilee bracelet in my watchbox, but no watch.  it was a great watch and the 7s26 movement always seemed to do well.                                                                                                                                                                

On 19/06/2019 at 12:38, Nigelp said:

bezel does indeed look smooth, might be the light a better angle might tell.   

It's definitely OK, I have the original receipt, box and guarantee 

On 19/06/2019 at 11:38, Big Bad Boris said:

Nice catch, and you are far braver than I am.

Buying it sight unseen and trusting a gumtree seller to pop it in to the post would be a step to far for me

He who dares Rodney, he who dares!!

I have taken a few risks in the past, even buying items from ebay sellers, but through eBay. Naughty I know, but have saved quite a lot doing so, despite the fact I had my wrists slapped once. I tend to strike up a conversation with the seller, and it doesn't take long to get a feel of things. This particular chap was an old fellow and would only take a cheque,and wouldn't give me an account to pay the money directly into. As it turns out a cheque in this instance was safer for me. From the point I sent the cheque the watch was with me in two days. 

On 19/06/2019 at 13:40, Nigelp said:

It might be fine, there does seem to be a lot of information on how to spot a fake skx out there, so its best checking for the things mentioned in these before buying. 

https://www.thewatchsite.com/12-reference-articles-faq-model-guides/52130-how-spot-fake-skx.html

wus seem to have gone into lots of detail. May be its a bigger issue than it appears with these? 

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/feiko-fake-seiko-skx007-skx009-traits-772685.html

bezel plip looks smaller and much more recessed on Johns, but it could all just be the angle or the light. 

other than the smooth bezel, it seems to check out as genuine against the other cosmetic criteria in this list off wus. Obvious give aways would be at 4, 5 6,7 9and 11 on the list and it looks good in these respects, but these things are getting better all the time. I'd be amazed though if they got all this right and did a bezel so smooth. Im sure its the light. But only another picture confirming a deeper cut will confirm that, as the other link refers to bezel cuts. 

1. Fake case number. (7S26-7039) There is no 7039 diver with 7S26 movement.
  2. A 5 etched on the crystal. It is the Seiko5 emblem.
  3. Some dial fonts are blatantly different. Use the Diver's Reference pictures to compare fonts.
  4. The line from the 6 o'clock hour marker should be directly underneath the S on the DIVER'S 200m. It is underneath (slightly on the right side) of the R on some fakes.
  5. The font on the real one is BOLD and on a fake it is normal.
  6. The width of the word Automatic is the same width as Seiko on some fakes. Automatic is slightly wider on the real deal.
  7. Divers 200m written in white (supposed to be red/orange).
  8. Fake SN's - (maybe 302137), 655859, 337461, 542252, 543187, 996479, 996460, 820061, 701032, & 700418. On some fakes, the 9964 looks uniform but the last two digits look like they are hand stamped. Be leary of any 9964XX. (any more???)
  9. Font on the bezel is wrong. 10 should be a straight line and not have tick mark.
  10. Bezel lume pip is abnormally large.
  11. On a 009, the red & blue paint meet on the bezel should split the 20 right down the middle. On some fakes it shaves the left side of the 0 while others is splits the 2.
  12. Second hand should have the meatball. Some fakes have a second hand with a spear tip sort of like a SS Samurai or mid-size SKX013/015.
  13. Close-up of the hour marker borders shows uneven lume distribution.
  14. No dial code located below the 6 o'clock marker.
  15. Slight case variations near the crown. The polished upper scallop on the crown guard on the lower side of the crown is in the wrong proportion. It's hard to tell unless you compare it side by side with a real 0020 case.
  16. Most fakes have plastic clicksprings. The real ones are metal. Also many of these bezels often have a plastic track in the underside of the rotating bezel ring (to work with the click spring). In real ones the track is part of the metal ring, not a separate plastic piece.
  17. Japan Diver's on the caseback. Should be Scuba Diver's.

Here you go, here is the bezel. However,  I said in another post, I have the original receipt and guarantee 

F4V85cS.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

Looks OK to me. It was the angle of the first pic.

I actually had no doubts when I bought it, but you lot then made me question things. Whilst passing a local jeweler today I had a look at the bezel on one on display, and it is identical. 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

I actually had no doubts when I bought it, but you lot then made me question things. Whilst passing a local jeweler today I had a look at the bezel on one on display, and it is identical. 

we were only winding you up! Its that @it'salivejim evil sense of humour. 

• Like 1