• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Peter-H

How accurate can you get with IWC IW3789-01 / IW378901

I think the spec is 4 seconds a day. It is an IWC-modified ETA7750.

Currently, fresh from an IWC full service, I am seeing 7-8 secs a day.

The watch had been to another "trade" watchmaker previously (to unsuccessfully attempt to fix the 3 sec per minute intermittent fault which I posted here previously) and he got it within 1 second a day, so clearly this is possible. He said he was Omega authorised. And that was before IWC got it for their £500 service, prior to which they reported a list of faults e.g. wrong power delivery, wrong this and that, loose hands, you name it.

It is not causing me any stress; thank you for the patronising answer. I asked a reasonable technical question.

• Like 2

I think most can be adjusted better, some of these so called expensive experts seem to be useless. Always find faults to add to the bill lol. Seen a few posts in the past with similar traits. Hope all goes well.

Evidently they can be adjusted better, so why don't watchmakers do it?

Does it take longer to do?

My understanding is that these watches (ETA7750 etc) have several adjustments, for each of several orientations. But does it actually take longer?

I have read from IWC that their company policy is to never have an IWC watch run slowly so if they allow 7 secs it means they adjust for 3.5 fast, plus or minus 3.5 seconds. Yet I had this watch adjusted for zero, plus or minus about 1 second.

I am no Expert, but something is amiss with the Watch. If you have had it looked at by an Expert, i would send it back and get done free of charge.

18 hours ago, Peter-H said:

A data point: the 7-8 secs fast has come down to 4-5 secs. Is that normal?

Guys, You think in a complittely wrong direction...

Accuracy adjustment is a verry delicate matter. The poin is not how accurate is able to be adjusted a watch at all, but how accurate is able to be adjusted a watch, when his owner is wearing it. If the watch is on my hand, it will give different error, compared with when it is on You hand... That is why there are specifications for the movement - how accurate it should be after servicing. If the accuracy is within the limits of specification, then the Service can not be blamed... This specifications protect the Service from the client!  Actually, it is usually possible to adjust the accuracy to 0 sec/day, for the owners way of wearing, but it will change next seasot, with the change of temperature, evaporation or getting old of the oil and many other factors...

Also, after servicing, a watch should be used for a mounth, and then readjusted, because the accuracy will slowly change and then stabilize - exactly this is happening here...

Also, usually there is only one adjustment for all positions, and if position error is out of the specification, then should be replacet the whole balanse. The adjustment of balance is possible, but it is a kind of art, and most of the servise workers are not artists...

• Like 1

I was told, maybe wrongly, that the 7750 mechanism has separate adjustments for different orientations of the watch.

Update: the watch ended up running 8 secs/day too fast so given that it had a 2 year warranty after that IWC repair, I sent it back to them. It came back a few weeks (!) later and it is now running 5 secs/day fast :)

Indeed; these fancy Swiss watches are basically junk. Good for sitting on a winder and you put them on according to the clothes you want to match :)

Just buy a quartz!  I quite like the fact that my 7750 collection vary slightly.  It adds character to the watch.  I've always adjusted to as near as poss, always erring on gaining slightly, as it is easier to just pull the crown to stop and zero, then push to start!  So long as they are within manufacturers tolerances, I'm happy.  Mechanical watches will always vary, face up/down, crown up/down etc.

• Like 1