• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch Repair?

essexlandy

I have been given, Dare I say? A good replica Speedmaster. it needs repairing as two of the little hands has come off and the crown has come off. Does anyone know where I could get it repaired? Sounds sad but it's a good everyday watch as it dosn't matter if it gets bashed a bit

It's not that good then? Though I'd be the first to say it :lol:

The only place I know is where you definately cannot take it, the official Omega repair place at Rochford, they speicialize in the older Omega's.....as for yours.....I guess you could try asking descretely in some of the smaller watch shops in Chelmsford, try the one at the top end of the High Street in front of the cathedral.

Best I can suggest matey, sorry.

Best regards David

I agree with Hawkey it's probably not worth repairing. If you want the Speedmaster styling then you can pick reasonable quality hommage Speedmasters from the Far East for about £35. These will at least have the Speedmaster looks and be without the stigma associated with a fake. Much better to do however what Hawkey suggests and put the repair money towards a quality timepeice from our host. :rltb:

Richard

hi EL

i've seen loads of these types of watches, a mate at work brought me his dads fake rolex to have a look at (it had stopped running after about six months), everything inside was made of sub-standard matierials, it appeared as though none of the parts had been hardened and it's a wonder tjhat it ran for the six months :eek:

as i recall he paid £8 for it (i think he was done :lol::lol: )

i would say that you'd be better off binning it as they are generally all similar in quality ('tho there are some high quality fakes using ETA ebauches)

john :)

this would probably be a good watch to practice on.

the movement will obviously have to come out, there should be a small button (spring loaded) or screw close to where the winding stem enters the movement, if it's a button, push it with a darning needle (or something suitably sized) and pull on the crown, it should come away easily, if it's a screw, unscrew it one and a half to two full turns-no more or the pull-piece (between the dial and bottom plate)will come free, if this happens the dial will have to come off to reinstall it :( .

when the movement is out, the stem/crown will need refitting (only if it has a date complication), turn the winder until the date changes, then using some sort of a small tube (i use a screwdriver with the blade taken out),place the hour hand on the canon tube (pointing directly at twelve o'clock and press home with your 'tube' and do the same with the minute hand and then replace the second hand (this one can be replaced in any position).

remove the stem/crown, place the movement into the case,replace the winder and put the spacer/case back on- job done.

forgot to say, when replacing the winder, the small button should be depressed each time.

i don't know what movement is inside your watch but certain movements need the crown pulling out to the time-setting position, or there will be problems replacing it correctly(push-button type only)

if something goes wrong, it will not have cost you anything so as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

have a go and enjoy 'playing' with it :):)

john.

ps, if i've forgotten anything (and probably have :blink: )someone on here will put you right :)

john.

pps, if the hands have come off once, it could be that they've stretched slightly, if so they'll probably not stay on in future (usually soft matierials used :( )

Edited by johnbaz

I'll try and get some pics of the movement. the crown has come out and two of the smaller sub dials hands have come off. I would like to learn how to put the hands back on and get the crown back in, as it would be interesting to learn. Do i need to get some tools like a movement holder and hand removers? I've always been interested in watches and this would be a good way to learn.