• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Q.Lotte

Mornington Crescent

I suddenly realised that nobody had started a game of Mornington Crescent on here, though I'm certain there must be more than a few players out there!

I cannot claim to be anywhere near to professional - I currently play off a handicap (straight game) of something around Mansion House/SouthEaling and there are probably far better players on here - but may I suggest that we begin with the basic straight game to allow beginners to pick up the rules.  As we all know, international convention prohibits and prevents the rules from being written down but they are relatively simple to pick up.

For the advanced players, it may have been a while since you last played the straight game so as a reminder this means no reversals, yellow is NOT wild (until we re-invoke Parslow's Parallel).

I'll start us off with a couple of moves:

Chesham Bois

Hounslow West

over to you!

@Q.Lotte would like to play but there are other games still running and so I could not possibly join another - it would be like opening three packets of cheese at the same time. :ooops:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Q.Lotte said:

Putney Bridge

Ah, the Cambridge Springs A Leak variation. Which I will counter with...

Oxford Circus. 

Cunning, eh?

Well, obviously not randomly chosen Rog, there is some method, and not neccesarily London, either.  For instance, from Aldgate East you could have stretched to Liverpool Lime Street or something closer to home, like Oval.  Wilding's 1908 diagonal variation would also have allowed Norwich but we've agreed to keep these first games simple for learners for now.

Piccadilly Circus is a perfectly valid move though (whether chosen by skill or luck!) and you avoided the Covent Garden circularity where many more experienced players have come a cropper.  The next move is obvious but I'm not going to spoil the fun for next player.

44 minutes ago, Q.Lotte said:

Piccadilly Circus is a perfectly valid move though (whether chosen by skill or luck!) and you avoided the Covent Garden circularity where many more experienced players have come a cropper.  The next move is obvious but I'm not going to spoil the fun for next player.

I’ve suffered the CGC myself! So as you say, obvious...Tooting Bec!

5 hours ago, AVO said:

I’ve suffered the CGC myself! So as you say, obvious...Tooting Bec!

...exactly! Which enables our first water-based play:

Wandsworth Town

23 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I'm sorry I haven't a clue...

Baker Street.

Not bad Rog - of course 5 years ago that move would have placed you "in Nidd" for the next three turns, but thanks to a combination of the new Elizabeth Line and the changed traffic light priorities outside Madame Tussauds, that move actually works pretty well.

3 minutes ago, Q.Lotte said:

Not bad Rog - of course 5 years ago that move would have placed you "in Nidd" for the next three turns, but thanks to a combination of the new Elizabeth Line and the changed traffic light priorities outside Madame Tussauds, that move actually works pretty well.

Ahhh, nothing like the fresh scent of the Bakerloo on a Sunday morning. 

Elephant and Castle then!

2 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

t' Yorkshire rules, by 'eck

No - keeping it simple in this first game - you're right to point out that technically you would only have been in Nidd (5 years ago!) had we been playing (North) Yorkshire rules.  And let's keep Tudor Court rules (play is allowed off the back wall) until we're all comfortable with what's going on.  Only two more moves, I think, if I play:

High Barnet

5 minutes ago, Q.Lotte said:

No - keeping it simple in this first game - you're right to point out that technically you would only have been in Nidd (5 years ago!) had we been playing (North) Yorkshire rules.  And let's keep Tudor Court rules (play is allowed off the back wall) until we're all comfortable with what's going on.  Only two more moves, I think, if I play:

High Barnet

Hmm, the Bouffant Gambit. I can stop you. Edgware Road! Get out of that!

3 minutes ago, AVO said:

Hmm, the Bouffant Gambit. I can stop you. Edgware Road! Get out of that!

That would have been tricky, but due to ongoing engineering works, Bakerloo comes into play at the weekend and I can slide through to:

Kilburn Park

Still two moves to complete from there, I think?

18 minutes ago, Q.Lotte said:

That would have been tricky, but due to ongoing engineering works, Bakerloo comes into play at the weekend and I can slide through to:

Kilburn Park

Still two moves to complete from there, I think?

Ah but as Suetonius states in the preface to "De Locis Angliae" (64 AD):

Trans flumen directione septentrionali uno passu modo potes ire Die Mercurii mensis Ianuarii".

Meaning of course that you can only cross the river Northwards in a single move on a Wednesday in January.

Parson's Green - sorry!

Edited by AVO

Crikey - I hadn't considered that, but in that case that effectively undoes all the moves since Wandsworth Town doesn't it?

We're in danger of entering a Stebson Block - I was hoping to avoid that for this first game, otherwise we might put off the newbies with too much complexity?

Are people happy if we reset at Imperial Wharf?  I think that both complies with Suetonius and avoids the Stebson.

5 minutes ago, Q.Lotte said:

Are people happy if we reset at Imperial Wharf?  I think that both complies with Suetonius and avoids the Stebson.

Good point. Suetonius could only use ferries, of course, so technically we are going under the river, not across. Sorry.

Russell Square.

1 minute ago, AVO said:

Good point. Suetonius could only use ferries, of course, so technically we are going under the river, not across. Sorry.

Russell Square.

I've thrown three consecutive doubles here, so I'm going to have to repeat:

Russell Square