UK Watch Forum banner

Holiday watch robbed

4K views 68 replies 23 participants last post by  Nigelp 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Would have to be paid to wear something that ugly :tongue:

Fairly hard to fence something this distinctive ?
fence it? An hammer would do

22 with a £1m watch, different world , should have hit the mugger over the head with it they would not have got up!

deano
all except 1 belong to Donald Trump

#24 ·
22 with a £1m watch, different world , should have hit the mugger over the head with it they would not have got up!

deano
not sure about that the article says it only weighs 40g, although I think that statement needs some qualifiers as I have a 'paper' watch at home with a small digital display which is certainly lighter than 40g

It is the lightest in the world, weighing only 40 grams with the strap included.

#30 ·
I just wanted to make a note about the point "People struggling" If that is your concern you should be very pleased... the money was not wasted, it did not disappear but employed people to source the materials and process them, construct the watch and put taxes into the coffers to help such struggling people. Would you prefer the money to sit stagnating in the bank? Rich people generate money, and they also spread it due to their extravagances... it is a win/win situation which is why capitalism has made more wealthy societies than in the history of mankind.

Yes not a watch for me, but let these buffoons waste their money because it benefits us all.

#10 ·
Interesting. Whenever I go on holiday, I dress to blend in with the locals, I always know it has worked when someone, in a language I don't properly understand, asks for directions. What is the reason behind wearing an expensive watch for a holiday ? Leave it at home. It shouldn't happen, but there are a lot of nasty people about, don't make it easy for them.

#13 ·
might be worse leaving it at home in scotland?

22 year old, million quid watch,just shoved a couple of times.

Insurance scam anyone.

:biggrin:
ask @deano1956 insurance companies ain't that daft. I just reckon donald wanted to drive up the value of his remaining 18 of them

more a company shares price job.

#16 ·
Any 22 year old from Azerbaijan can either afford to buy another, or got the money in the wrong way to start with.

A couple of shoves? If I had a Million pound watch that I was being mugged for I would lose teeth before giving it up. So would the mugger!

Reactions: Jet Jetski
#17 ·
If I had a Million pound watch that I was being mugged for I would lose teeth before giving it up. So would the mugger!
No, I would get my "men" to deal with it.

1321766_8488594.jpg

brave man.
I hid one of my watches that well when I went on holiday, I couldn't find it for over 6 months after I got back.

#20 ·
We just returned from Majorca which is suffering from a bout of pickpockets. There are whole families of them roaming the tourist hotspots. They have set routines, to identify what pocket you have your wallets or purses in (asking for change for a large note or car parking - one asks, the others observe). Asking what the time is, to look at your watch. Shaking hands, with the two handed shake to remove the strap or bracelet. Dropping small change to distract you etc. These people appear like normal tourists, well dressed and smart, so that they can mingle with the crowds at tourist sites, bus parks, taxi ranks etc. Take care.

#23 ·
Fairly obvious answer to this thread...don't take a watch on holiday. I never do...not because it might get nicked, but because I don't want to know the time when I'm relaxing...and plus I'm not a poncey watch poseur (on holiday, that is...here is a different matter completely)... :laughing2dw:

Reactions: Davey P
#35 ·
Interesting place the internet. Loads of people tell loads of other people they don't know, what they've got. Someone local me regularly posts on Instagram/Facebook, watches of great value with captions such as "feast on my latest eye candy", and where, when and how long he'll be away on holiday. Sort of like a social media advert for thieves com men and muggers. This guy could been targeted by someone qfrom his own country. Wealth and brains can sometime be inversely proportional.

#46 ·
If I could ever work for anyone in the UK it would be for Julian Richer, owner of Richer Sounds. The guy is very wealthy yet he treats the staff and customers extremely well.

Never had a problem in the majority of their stores with only one exception.

I remember the days of Comet, Clydesdale and Curry's all competing against each other to sell electronic goods. Half the time you would walk in and nobody would want to help and the other half they would try and push a sale onto you that you didn't even want. Richer Sounds were different from that; at least the Liverpool store was anyway.

Back in school days I remember they were ranked 2nd or 3rd best employer to work for.

Not all wealthy business owners are evil and horrible people; some of that blame lies within the staff and the government.
the worst organisation ive experienced to work for is owned by a wealthy business owner, the government it being the NHS, lots of middle management bullies who did nowt and got paid lots in the late 90's early 2000's.

Have you ever been in PC world Irfan? They are a strange lot.

It feels like a brain washing exercise in my local store, its like zombie land.

Do you remember Tandy? They were good.

#49 ·
The beauty of capitalism is that if you think you are worth more than you are being paid you have the freedom to move, and if nobody else is going to pay you what you are worth then you can do it for yourself.

That all works fine until government grows so big to place a hefty burden on everyone, or borders are removed between countries, in which case then you are competing with others willing to work longer and harder for less because they are not trying to build a life in an expensive country or carrying the same burden but can take their proceeds to a place where the cost is much lower.

I have done my time sacrificing and working 100 hours a week, I realised working smart is better than working hard and managed to get out of it... opportunities abound if you are willing to put yourself out.

#51 ·
2019-07-02_06-27-02

Reactions: WRENCH
#64 ·
Just an asides if you had that kind of wealth what would an extra couple of grand be to you to hire a bit of security to discreetly watch your back.

hire-bodyguards-in-london-1.jpg

#66 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got back from Vancouver/O'Ahu/Maui/Hawai'i/Los Angeles .... took my Longines Conquest and Casio Gshock as holiday watches. They fitted the bill perfectly for snorkelling/pooling/exploring etc etc and the "stolen" worry never entered my mind until Los Angeles and the district we were in near LAX where to buy a beer to drink in our hotel we had to go to the "Liquor store" opposite and a couple of hoods defo gave us the once over..... glad I had a $500 dollar watch that looked like a $50 dollar watch to be honest in that moment.

#67 ·
Welcome home. Didn't those hoodlums recognise the TC? Hope you had a good vacation :thumbsup:

Reactions: JonnyOldBoy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.