• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
jaoliver

Holiday watch robbed

Would have to be paid to wear something that ugly :tongue:

Fairly hard to fence something this distinctive ?

22 with a £1m watch, different world , should have hit the mugger over the head with it they would not have got up!

deano

• Like 1

It is ugly! Anyone stupid enough to pay that much for a watch, and wear it out in a Holiday Hotspot, has way much money. Makes me annoyed with people struggling, that much can be wasted on an item. I struggle to pay anymore than 30 quid !

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

Would have to be paid to wear something that ugly :tongue:

Fairly hard to fence something this distinctive ?

fence it? An hammer would do

40 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

22 with a £1m watch, different world , should have hit the mugger over the head with it they would not have got up!

deano

all except 1 belong to Donald Trump 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

all except 1 belong to Donald Trump 

no , he's on a different planet!! :laugh:

deano

3 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

no , he's on a different planet!! :laugh:

deano

not a bad one for him

Interesting. Whenever I go on holiday, I dress to blend in with the locals, I always know it has worked when someone, in a language I don't properly understand, asks for directions. What is the reason behind wearing an expensive watch for a holiday ? Leave it at home. It shouldn't happen, but there are a lot of nasty people about, don't make it easy for them.

• Like 2

Just now, BondandBigM said:

Insurance scam anyone.

:biggrin:

Moron was my first thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Interesting. Whenever I go on holiday, I dress to blend in with the locals, I always know it has worked when someone, in a language I don't properly understand, asks for directions. What is the reason behind wearing an expensive watch for a holiday ? Leave it at home. It shouldn't happen, but there are a lot of nasty people about, don't make it easy for them.

might be worse leaving it at home in scotland?

14 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

22 year old, million quid watch,just shoved a couple of times.

Insurance scam anyone.

:biggrin:

ask @deano1956 insurance companies ain't that daft. I just reckon donald wanted to drive up the value of his remaining 18 of them

more a company shares price job. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

might be worse leaving it at home in scotland?

No.

• Haha 1

Any 22 year old from Azerbaijan can either afford to buy another, or got the money in the wrong way to start with.

A couple of shoves?  If I had a Million pound watch that I was being mugged for I would lose teeth before giving it up.  So would the mugger!

• Like 1

Just now, scottswatches said:

If I had a Million pound watch that I was being mugged for I would lose teeth before giving it up.  So would the mugger!

No, I would get my "men" to deal with it.

1321766_8488594.jpg

10 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

brave man.

I hid one of my watches that well when I went on holiday, I couldn't find it for over 6 months after I got back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

1321766_8488594.jpg

I hid one of my watches that well when I went on holiday, I couldn't find it for over 6 months after I got back.

no where safe in the uk, i'd wrap them up and cart them with you like @Igerswis

Amazing thing is @BondandBigM hasnt had his rolex nicked. But thats because he goes to places where everyone will think its a fake, he aint daft, mixes in the right circles see. 

15 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Any 22 year old from Azerbaijan can either afford to buy another, or got the money in the wrong way to start with.

A couple of shoves?  If I had a Million pound watch that I was being mugged for I would lose teeth before giving it up.  So would the mugger!

what if they shot you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

yep, no insurance company is going to hand over a £1m payout without  a close look, but why do I get the feeling this guy would not have or need holiday cover insurance !:naughty:

deano

• Like 1

We just returned from Majorca which is suffering from a bout of pickpockets.  There are whole families of them roaming the tourist hotspots.  They have set routines, to identify what pocket you have your wallets or purses in (asking for change for a large note or car parking - one asks, the others observe).  Asking what the time is, to look at your watch.  Shaking hands, with the two handed shake to remove the strap or bracelet.  Dropping small change to distract you etc.  These people appear like normal tourists, well dressed and smart, so that they can mingle with the crowds at tourist sites, bus parks, taxi ranks etc.  Take care.

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

no where safe in the uk,

Nowhere is safe anywhere, although my pad is pretty secure.

Lochindorb_Castle.jpg?fit=1018,727

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

1321766_8488594.jpg

Has Jon Luc Pickard made it back to the Enterprise?.

• Haha 1

Fairly obvious answer to this thread...don't take a watch on holiday. I never do...not because it might get nicked, but because I don't want to know the time when I'm relaxing...and plus I'm not a poncey watch poseur (on holiday, that is...here is a different matter completely)...:laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, deano1956 said:

deano

not sure about that the article says it only weighs 40g, although I think that statement needs some qualifiers as I have a 'paper' watch at home with a small digital display which is certainly lighter than 40g

It is the lightest in the world, weighing only 40 grams with the strap included.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, no8yogi said:

not sure about that the article says it only weighs 40g, although I think that statement needs some qualifiers

Well, they've got to justify the ridiculous price tag somehow I suppose..... :whistle:

With regards to the original story, it's not the first time someone's had their hideous watch nicked - Bernie Eccleston famously got mugged for his Hublot, and managed to turn that into a marketing opportunity:

Mugged-Bernie-Ecclestone-Hublot-Watch-Ad

:laugh:

• Haha 1