• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Other Interests or Collections Do You Have?

JoT

Andy Tims said:

Thanks.

LHD is not a big deal for me, as I don't use the car for regular road use. If I had to cope with car park barriers & rush hour traffic I'm sure I'd feel differently.

The vast bulk of my UK miles is to & from various race circuits or the odd early Sunday morning pleasure blast & it's of course great for the annual trips to Le Mans and Spa.

I take it that you tend to avoid the Nordschleife then as you do Spa? I noticed that a few of the Skyline boys do the same Spa rather then the Nordschleife

I'm with Kidster, babies do seem rather expensive pass times!! I wouldn't swap the little bugger of mine mind you.

I am also into cycling and have around five grands worth of hardware to back that up! Could have had that Patek after all! Mine is just road cycling although I live about 20 miles from whinlatter! You want to try riding up that bugger on a road bike, first time I did I thought I was gonna need the last rites!!

I'm with Kidster, babies do seem rather expensive pass times!! I wouldn't swap the little bugger of mine mind you.

I am also into cycling and have around five grands worth of hardware to back that up! Could have had that Patek after all! Mine is just road cycling although I live about 20 miles from whinlatter! You want to try riding up that bugger on a road bike, first time I did I thought I was gonna need the last rites!!

Kids are definately the most expensive hobby you can have and may I suggest that you never fall for the old 2 are as cheap as 1 con.

Like you say can't live without them now.

Sailing racing dinghies takes up most of my spare time and money during the warmer months. I have two old plywood dinghies both over 30 yrs old, one is in reasonable condition and raced regularly and one is in the garage under going restoration. Sailing like many sports can be something of an 'arms race' and theres always plenty of things to spend your money on if so inclined. It can be a labour of love saving an old wreck from the bonfire and I often wonder why I bother. However when finished I usualy find sailing something you have brought back to life yourself quite satisfying, also whilst not cheap it's better than buying a shiny new plastic version would cost me the thick end on 8K and probably a divorce. Also boats appear to be just like watches as the 710 can't seem to understand why anyone would want more than one :D

Rich

from this

P1000623.jpg

to this

P1060727.jpg

my biggest expenses are not my hobbies but the 710 wanting new crap for the house

Looks like you have the same screen as me now....I just changed mine over crimble to the 50" HD Sammy, and of course after that you just have to maybe, sort of, upgrade.....the other little bits! In the past three weeks I have chnaged from an upscaling Tosh DVD player to better upscaling Tosh DVD player....now thats gone back and its been replaced with a Blu-ray panny, well in for a penny in for 4000 of them :lol: ....oh yes and then there was the dabble into Freesat....to test the HD screen of course.....now maybe I might chnage that for a HD PVR.....and it might be a good idea of course to upgrade the AV amp to a HD sound decoding AV amp....oh boy...this never ends....GREAT AIN'T IT? :lol:

I suppose AV has been my biggest "hobby" expense (apart from watches...I mean their not a hobby, they are essential pieces of fine engineering that every chap MUST have).....but it comes and goes every couple of years when I get the itch to upgrade.

I am too old and cranky now to play under cars so building them stopped a few years ago.....the garden railway is about as usefull as an old Beeching line now :cry2:

Nah....I suppose its the AV.....have spent enough to buy that bloody porker! :blink:

Don't we all just love it though? :lol:

For me its old cars and classic rallying.

Fiat Dino spider - in for an engine rebuild at the moment - god help me if the 710 finds out how much that will cost.

71 MG Midget rally car

59 Frog eyed sprite

Fiat Dino spider........ :blink: :eek: :thumbup: what an underated beautiful piece of italian cobbling!

Did the 710 know it had the Ferrari lump when you bought it......because she will when she sees the bank statement! :lol:

I wanna see pictures please?

• 3 months later...

well as an ex DJ I have a paqssion for music and remix a lot of songs even had one released :tongue2:,Also love IT which is a good job cause it is my job and also love repairing anything broken laptops etc repaired over 200 in a 2 year period but try to avoid it now,other interests are my doggs and cars :lol:

I have a passion for tennis and swimming myself. Up until recently I swam for Sussex and currently represent my University at tennis which unfortunately leaves little time for study  Having said this I love watching most sports

Watches are a relatively new thing for me but I'm finding these forums to consume me more and more each day at the expense of my bank balance :o

My other vice is collecting video games. I have a PS2 and an XBOX 360. I have said for years and will continue to say it but the PS2 really is the best machine with the best library of games hands down.

I am slowly rebuilding my collection of “Survival Horror†games, which I had almost exclusively on the PS2, (though many were released for the PS1, no backwards compatibility issues with the PS2)

When I lived in the UK, I had them all, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil, Clock Tower and Alone in the Dark. I had the lot of them. Foolishly, before we moved out here, I flogged the lot of them without too much thought. Little did I realise that all those games (mainly bought second hand) that I held onto (why take a few quid for them when you can play it 6 months later and it feels fresh again?) would actually cost thousands to replace over here. A few of them sell for up to $200 each, grr!!

I now find that many of these same titles were released in relatively small numbers over here and consequently I am slowly rebuilding my collection, mainly via eBay, at reasonable cost, but it is taking time!!!

In any case, the TV here is pants Foxtel (what we call SKY) is never something I have had and wanted, and frankly a couple of hours on an old PS2 title is a great way to pass the time. I dont care if the the PS2 cant put out a signal that makes best use of my new and shiny Series 9 Samsung, nothing in my opinion can beat the atmosphere and fun of these games except getting a really nice new shiny watch.

Plus, the 710 is much more supportive of this collection than my watches, she actually enjoys watching me play them (and fetches cold beers for me on request, well, most of the time!)

Oh yeah, XBOX 360, it’s OK, haven’t played it online and only really have it to play recent releases of the old game franchises I like, such as Resident Evil 5, but still prefer the PS2 anyday.

Boxbrownie said:

Fiat Dino spider........ what an underrated beautiful piece of italian cobbling!

Did the 710 know it had the Ferrari lump when you bought it......because she will when she sees the bank statement! 

I wanna see pictures please?

Sorry about the gap.

The 710 knew it was a Ferrari lump (at the risk of causing controversy all Dinos have fiat lumps - just look at the part numbers next time you see a Dino of either type) - she signed the cheque and drives the Frog all summer. Piccys will go up when I get the bloody thing back.

Mainly martial arts and climbing. On-going costs from membership fees, travelling and equipment. Kicked the car habit as the reward vs cost was dwindling so I bum about in a crap FWD shopping car but still get as much fun throwing it around, coupled by the fact that if I damage it, I won't care. Not that I treated my other more sporty cars like garage queens.

Guitars mainly, but I play in at least two bands most of the time so I can justify them as my tools!

I currently have the following in the house:

Gibson ES-335 Dot

Gibson Les Paul Standard with a pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates

Epiphone Dot with a Burstbucker #1 and Rio Grande Texas humbucker neck and bridge

Japanese Fender Telecaster Custom 72 Reissue (like Keef's!)

Japanese Fender Squier Stratocaster

Gordon-Smith GS-1 double cutaway (like a Les Paul Junior clone)

Martin HD-28V with LR Baggs Element pickup/preamp

Crafter Lite-T/SP

Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50

Matamp Minimat

Epiphone Valve Junior

Laney LC30-II + extension

and a load of FX

I've also still got an Ashdown bass rig as I've only just sold my last 2 basses - a USA Fender P Bass and a Music Man Stingray, which went to fund the 335.

I've been through loads of gear in the last few years, which was mainly traded off to get hold of that lot up there. I had 18 guitars in the house at one point, which caused all sorts of 710-related problems, which included at various times, a Fernandes PRS Santana copy, 2 Gibson Les Paul Studios, a Gibson SG, a USA Fender Strat, a Japanese Squier JV series Precision Bass, an early 80s Japanese Fender Precision Bass, a Mexican Fender Jazz, an Epiphone EB-0, 2 Epiphone SGs, a Variax, a PRS SE Soapbar Singlecut and a Westone Thunder III fretless bass. I think that's it anyway.

I'm always on the lookout for a bargain and I currently have on my wish list a black Gibson Les Paul Custom with P90s, a Fender Jazzmaster, another USA Strat, another SG and I quite fancy one of the new PRS Singlecuts or a Custom 22 with hardtail.

My other main interests are home brewing, Victorian breweriana and snooker. I've even adapted my previously under-utilised outside bog to serve as a brewhouse:

But that was hardly a prohibitive drain on the watch fund, seeing as it cost me less than £20 for the wood to make the removeable shelves.

This Victorian beer engine on the other hand, which was donated to me by the daughter and son-in-law of the former landlord of The Eagle Inn at Skerne, near Driffield in East Yorkshire - about 20 miles from Bridlington as it happens, was a different matter entirely. It was installed in the pub probably in 1864, and was still pulling pints of Cameron's bitter right up until the pub's closure in 2003. Unfortunately during the intervening period when it had been stored in a garage, its condition had suffered significant deterioration.

There was no question but that I had to restore it to its former glory. It took over a year, and I could have bought a new Sinn with the money. However this was no fleeting whim, to be flipped once the novelty wore off - and anyway I already have a Sinn 856 which satisfies all my needs on that front. This is a part of our social and cultural heritage that had to be preserved.

I think it was well worthwhile. :)

MarkF said:
Astronomy

Motorcycling/Scooters

Cycling

Reading, Reading & Reading

Radios

There is never enough time to enjoy life like I want to. :(

Graham, more pics please.

OK, Mark, here's the Eagle's beer engine in situ from which Roy Edmund, the pub's former landlord, is pulling a pint of Cameron's.

More about The Eagle Inn here:

And here are some other Victorian beer engines of mine: