• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JoT

What Other Interests or Collections Do You Have?

4 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Have had a bit of time to make a couple more Marvel 'Avengers' themed bracelets...the first is a 'Groot' based one, and like the character, is a true survivalist bracelet as the buckle has a built in compass, whistle, sparking rod, digital watch and knife. My son asked for this one. It is basically formed from Solomon knots with accent colours woven in to resemble the vines and branches of Groot.

Paracord bracelets. Groot.

There's a market for these. :yes:

• Thanks 1

I've always had a bit of a thing for knives/multi-tools & the like & have recently bought these two knives. I'm quite interested in paracord rope work/knots & thought these may come in handy due to the marlin spike which is used for splicing rope & loosening knots. To be honest I'm kidding myself really but neither were expensive & both are quite cool things especially the vintage one :)  It's not a great photo of them I'm afraid but the silver one is a modern Marbles yachting/rigging knife whilst the black one is a vintage British/Belgian army clasp/jack/pen knife. This came in mucky condition (lots of old storage grease & a small amount of rust) but is otherwise in good condition & dates from 1951 - when I get chance I'm intending to clean it some more but considering it's nearly 70 years old I don't think it's doing too badly. I'd buy another one but the website I found it on now won't post these due to new legislation :( Not sure how the likes of Heinnie Haynes (where I got the Marbles knife from & who sell all sorts of bladed items) get round this! Anyway if it's lasted this long it'll probably last a fair bit longer & I probably don't actually "need" a second one! 

The can opener is marked: A.B.L.1951 which if entered into Google gives the following info (from BladeForums.com): ABL= Armée belge-Belgisch leger which just means Belgian army, written in French first and Dutch second. 1950 (or 1951 in my case) was the year they were issued. Sometimes you see these on the web as British army knives, but they aren't.  :thumbs_up:

c3lpHWN.jpg   

PSiRerc.jpg

30 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

I've always had a bit of a thing for knives/multi-tools & the like & have recently bought these two knives. I'm quite interested in paracord rope work/knots & thought these may come in handy due to the marlin spike which is used for splicing rope & loosening knots. To be honest I'm kidding myself really but neither were expensive & both are quite cool things especially the vintage one :)  It's not a great photo of them I'm afraid but the silver one is a modern Marbles yachting/rigging knife whilst the black one is a vintage British/Belgian army clasp/jack/pen knife. This came in mucky condition (lots of old storage grease & a small amount of rust) but is otherwise in good condition & dates from 1951 - when I get chance I'm intending to clean it some more but considering it's nearly 70 years old I don't think it's doing too badly. I'd buy another one but the website I found it on now won't post these due to new legislation :( Not sure how the likes of Heinnie Haynes (where I got the Marbles knife from & who sell all sorts of bladed items) get round this! Anyway if it's lasted this long it'll probably last a fair bit longer & I probably don't actually "need" a second one! 

The can opener is marked: A.B.L.1951 which if entered into Google gives the following info (from BladeForums.com): ABL= Armée belge-Belgisch leger which just means Belgian army, written in French first and Dutch second. 1950 (or 1951 in my case) was the year they were issued. Sometimes you see these on the web as British army knives, but they aren't.  :thumbs_up:

c3lpHWN.jpg   

PSiRerc.jpg

I've just been looking back through this thread & see that I posted on page 6 (in 2009 I think). In that post I mentioned that I was restoring/modifying a 1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1. This has now been on the road for some time & is fitted with an 1800 Zetec (not the 2 litre as I mentioned in my post), it's been reliable & fun to drive though I don't use it very often - though I did drive it to work yesterday. Any excuse to post some pictures  :clap:

gRKWggM.jpg

fIcP70n.jpg

4Fz5kJD.jpg

Yz4O0ls.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pauluspaolo said:

come in handy due to the marlin spike which is used for splicing rope & loosening knots

The thing to look out for with a Marlin Spike (if actually using it for its intended purpose, rather than just cleaning under your nails etc.) is that it should lock in position with the lanyard ring.

26 minutes ago, Boots said:

The thing to look out for with a Marlin Spike (if actually using it for its intended purpose, rather than just cleaning under your nails etc.) is that it should lock in position with the lanyard ring.

Yes I've seen that on a couple of similar knives that I've semi-seriously looked at. Considering the UK laws about locking blades (if you can call the spike a blade?) I'm reluctant to get a knife with anything that locks. Neither of the above knives have this feature & I don't consider it a massive problem. I can't see me splicing any rope in the near (or far) future & if I have the knife on me I'm much more likely to end up using it as an awl or punch. All the blades/tools on the vintage one take some effort to open, feel solid when open & take an equal amount of effort in closing. I really can't see any of the blades closing accidentally unless the user does something stupid with it. The whole thing has a rather rough made from girders feel to it. A refined & well finished knife it most certainly isn't! The Marbles is quite a nicely finished knife (certainly when compared to the vintage one) & has blades/tools that are easier to open/close, in fact it's one of the easiest to open/close folding knives I've ever owned or used. However once again I'd say that unless the user does something stupid with it I can't see the blades closing accidentally & causing injury. Of the two I much prefer the feel - in respect of robustness, heft, age, history etc - of the vintage one.

I'll try to get a photo of them both without the watch getting in the way :)      

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Thanks 1

You can still get the Navy Riggers knife new "legal carry" minus the can opener etc.

1148.jpg

And the Marbles,

mr551_1.jpg

I took some more photos of the pen knives I mentioned a couple of posts above. I found the yellow one at home - I think it belongs to my youngest step daughter as she likes sailing & has sailed/crewed on yachts in the past. On this knife (marked Mac Italy) the spike & shackle key lock but the serrated blade doesn't - none of the blades/tools lock on the other two.

All the knives are a similar size when closed but the blades on the 2 modern knives are a fair bit bigger at 3" (close to the UK legal max) than the vintage one which is closer to 2 3/4" in length.

I'm going to have a go at cleaning up the blade on the vintage knife today/this week.

:)  

fxegHRN.jpg

OCsc2bo.jpg

5CrSXq7.jpg

6z4ObJw.jpg

UAebM4G.jpg

vJSBbF9.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 4

Made a few more key fobs today...basically they are all what are called 'Globe' knots but they are different types. I went a bit patriotic on the first two! 

The first is a proper 'Monkey fist'. This is a simple 'wrap in 3 directions' knot. It was/still is used as a weight on the end of a heaving line...a light line thrown from a ship to the dock. The heavier docking line is then attached and pulled across. It usually has a weight inside it to facilitate throwing. This small one has a marble inside. The 3 knots just above the fist are 'snake' knots and the knot below the keyring is a Turk's head.

Key Fobs.

The second is based on a Turk's head knot, which is woven like a plait. It too is formed round a marble (or any other round object like a wooden bead or a steel ball bearing). It's more complicated to tie than the Monkey fist.

Key Fobs.

This last one is the most complicated. It's a 'pineapple' knot, and is a larger Turk's head with another colour woven in separately. This is a replica of a life preserver. The marble in this is the size of a golf ball (in fact they are sometimes made with a golf ball) and is very heavy.

Key Fobs.

Key Fobs.

Key Fobs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a go at cleaning the main blade of the military knife last night/this morning. I used used the finest wet & dry paper I had along with some brasso metal polish. Not a bad result - certainly looks better than it did - but the pitting's quite deep so it'd take forever to remove it all. After getting it to this state I was cold (was in the garage) so gave it up & went in for a cuppa & to warm up. This morning I used the same grade wet & dry paper with some oil in the hope that this will get into the pitting & keep the rust at bay. The oil (diesel oil I think) was in a dropping bottle at work & we'll have to see if it has the desired effect. 

Next job is to sharpen it - it's reasonably sharp already & will cut quite thick string & paracord with a bit of effort. The edge is straight & undamaged so that's good & should make the job a bit simpler. I have a sharpening stone that came with a set of chisels so I'll probably try to use that. I've no real idea what I'm doing though so I'll be perusing YouTube for inspiration/advice :)  

zstSOJd.jpg

fZ5nfhc.jpg

• Like 2

My younger son went to see the latest Joker film, so as I had plans for the Joker/Harley Quinn character bracelets from Suicide Squad, made one of each for him and his girlfriend.

Joker...

Paracord bracelets: Suicide Squad-The Joker

Paracord bracelets: Suicide Squad-The Joker

Harley Quinn...

Paracord bracelets: Suicide Squad-Harley Quinn

Showing the heart motif...

Paracord bracelets: Suicide Squad-Harley Quinn

• Like 1

Play golf 4 times a week. Own a 1954 Austin A30. Play pool for my local pub team. Have a season ticket at Spurs. I also enjoy supervising my wife when she is doing the housework 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just completed the latest in my series of 'Avenger' bracelets. This one is based on the penultimate Phase 3 film 'Avengers: Endgame' and the colours reflect the 'Quantum' suits the team wore in the film. It's quite large, requiring a 3/4" buckle and is 1.5" (40mm) wide and 1/2" (13mm) thick. It's a version of the Kahuku sanctified weave.

Paracord bracelets: Endgame.

Image result for avengers quantum realm suit

Today's exercise was another Avengers bracelet based on the character 'Vision'...an AI being comprising elements of Ultron and J.A.R.V.I.S. The yellow ranger bead symbolises the Soul stone in Vision's forehead.

Paracord bracelets: Vision.

Paracord bracelets: Vision.

Image result for Avengers: Vision

In view of what day it is today (Rememberance Sunday) I thought I'd have a go at making some bracelets with a flag theme to them and came up with 3 different red,white and blue items. There is a small one (3/4" wide), a medium one (1" wide) and a large one (1 1/4"wide.

The first two are based on the very simple Solomon's knot (also called a square knot or a Portuguese sennit) while the large one is a version of the sanctified weave, (named after the company 'Sanctified Knots', whose owner invented it)....and of course , there also had to be the most famous symbol ever...the Poppy.

Roger's Miscellaneous Album.

Small. Solomon knot with a spine (the white part)

Paracord bracelets: Red, white and blue.

Medium. Double Solomon knot.

Large. Sanctified weave.

The Solomon knot is easy to tie and needs no explanation, but the Sanctified weave is worth having a look at.

I use a jig, as it's much easier to keep all 6 cords in order. Once the four strand core is in place, the weave can start, First, the two reds go behind the core and come up through the middle...

Then the first white comes from behind, through the middle below the reds and then through the red loop on the right.

Repeat on the other side taking the white through the red loop on the left

Then the first blue comes under everything, up through the middle, over everything and back down through the middle, passing to the right of itself.

Repeat on the other side, finally passing to the left of itself.

Tighten it all up and repeat until finished. Snip and singe the ends as usual.

• Like 3