• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JoT

What Other Interests or Collections Do You Have?

Grim weather again today, so ever on the lookout for new knots to try, I found a tutorial about the 'Rattlesnake' knot (which resembles a snake's rattle) and decided to have a go. When tied, it's triangular in section. Several hours later, and I had a few new key fobs, which is what this knot is ideal for.

Key fobs: Rattlesnake knot.

Key fobs: Rattlesnake knot.

• Like 1

Bit of a grim day today, so couldn't get out. Found an interesting youtube tutorial showing how to incorporate letters in paracord (micro paracord, actually), so had a go. Quite time consuming, but I think it turned out OK.

large.20191210_145807.jpg.a51ad16979b5b482ad451fb481a8b39a.jpg

• Like 3

I mentioned a few posts back, a bowl of lathe turned wooden fruit that I made for my late M-I-L. At that time I also commented that I used to make wooden eggs from scraps as samples, but that none had survived. Just before we came away, I found buried at the back of a seldom looked in cupboard, the last bowl of eggs I made....probably hidden by the other half...:laughing2dw:

The bowl is again made from Fiddleback Sycamore, but this one was made in two pieces, which were then joined. There's less waste this way, as the bowl can be turned from a relatively narrow blank, and the stem and foot from an even smaller one.

large.20191023_114627.jpg.013a617a6d68c56a3ef53d3796e82e8b.jpg

large.20191023_114742.jpg.6812f79c15aec32edbe341a714707678.jpg

The two bowls together...

large.20191023_115515.jpg.7cab071035228b35f6bfc9e82eadb666.jpg

The eggs...L-R

Kingwood, Pink Ivory, Lime, Lignum vitae.

large.20191023_120731.jpg.a55bb04059ee741a923d778c3bbc3b4f.jpg

L-R

Walnut, Zebrano, African Blackwood, Yew.

large.20191023_121116.jpg.0e463cb4d107ba3e0c490af1c0576374.jpg

L-R

Tulip wood, Pitch Pine, Purple Heart, Bird's Eye Maple.

large.20191023_121523.jpg.53b9b5d5d7a8f646edaecc9fcd1f3c0d.jpg

Pink Ivory is a very rare wood, and very expensive. It has been protected for over 40 years and cannot be felled anymore. Therefore, if you can get hold of a piece, you know it's at least 40 years old or more. When initially turned, it is a beautiful pale pink in colour, but unless kept in the dark, quickly oxidises to a pale straw colour as above. I had one small billet of this rare wood, not enough to make anything significant,  but I got a couple of eggs, pens and several lace bobbins out of it.

Freshly cut Pink Ivory.

Pink_Ivory.jpg

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

R

Kingwood, Pink Ivory, Lime, Lignum vitae.

LignumVitae... one of several  woods with a density greater than water, so does not float! 

free piece of useless information for you. :laughing2dw:

Edited by Teg62x
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Teg62x said:

free piece of useless information for you.

Here's another.

It was used as propeller shaft bearings in large ships, including early Nuclear subs. :toot:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teg62x said:

LignumVitae... one of several  woods with a density greater than water, so does not float! 

Quite correct, and I'll demonstrate it when I get back next weekend.

2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

that wood is so dense it was used as a shaft bearing.   vin

i also collect cameras,   here is a Sept 35 mm motion picture camera/projector.  French  made from the 1920s'.   vin   ------- no  post

11 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Old land drive fertilizer spreaders used to have bearings made out of the stuff.

Like this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsFo-g_KABwWl27wPpZUD

https://lignumvitaesolutions.com/

12 hours ago, Teg62x said:

I bought some reclaimed Chlorocardium rodiei (Greanheart) along the coast from you a few years ago, very dense, and excellent for garden fence posts and strainers. Sore on the chain saw though.

• Thanks 1

Now that I'm getting my health back my view on life has changed. Particularly what I do with my free time. I've been spending more time tinkering around with my Corvette. It's enjoyable. And I'm outdoors, even if the weather isn't the best this time of year.  I might buy another Corvette this year some time. I dunno. I always had a thing for the C3. Will see.  Odd as it is, I really only wear my old Timex watches now. Remember the racing ones from the 70s? Those ones. I walked in my room the other day and said to myself what the heck do you need all of these watches for? Heh heh. 

• Like 1

After seeing @Roger the Dodger paracord bracelets I decided to have a go at making one myself , a few pm's later from Roger with advice sourcing paracord I ordered myself some ( many thanks Roger for the help ) 

IMG_20200217_140557.thumb.jpg.c31a83866100669163bf5ba2f7b1d2e3.jpg

Helpful tutorials from you tube and I made these 

IMG_20200217_140603.thumb.jpg.412022180abbae0593a920834387761f.jpgIMG_20200217_140612.thumb.jpg.13331b6d83bd100bafc418d342a922a9.jpgIMG_20200217_145253.thumb.jpg.a6f99401fc2b2a13c32822220cbe8206.jpgIMG_20200217_151133.thumb.jpg.2d83bfb0e29db7f995ff5d5841e5da5e.jpg

I plan on making some more bracelets and also a Dog collar for our dog Alfie . 

• Like 3

Great start, John...they all look really good! I like the colour match with the fleece. You'll soon be moving on to some of the more complicated weaves, like the 'sanctified'. If you haven't already done so, check out the Youtube videos/tutorials by Tim on 'Weavers of Eternity' and Mark on 'The Paracord Guild'. For more decorative knotwork, check out Mikko Snellman's site, 'Ropeworks'.  (https://www.snellman.ax/)

• Thanks 1

Fishing with some of my vintage rods and tackle is most enjoyable in reasonable weather imo.About eighteen months ago i thought i might find a hobby/collection that i could do indoors during the worst of the winter months.I decided that it would be Hornby O gauge railways.

I sold some of the vintage tackle that i did not use to fund the new hobby.I was very surprised to find out just how collectable these items were and that there is a national and indeed international club withe thousands om members.HRCA or the Hornby Railways Collectors Association.They publish a monthly magazine and hold regional meetings.My local group holding ours about 10 miles away one a month.

I did not want to fiddle with electrics so went for clockwork locos.Luckliy these are cheaper than the electric ones.I now have fifteen locos,lots of wagons,station, engine shed,tunnel,works depot,figures and rails of course.Its fun at home though being O gauge takes up a lot of room.Its also great fun to visit my local club where we run electric and clockwork with each meeting having a theme relating to the collectable theme.Locos and wagons based on one of the regions SR,LMS,LNER  etc.Hornby made the tinplate  o gauge from the late 1920s to the 1960s i believe with the pre war items being the most sought after.We dont do modelling as such we just "play trains".Thought this might be of interest.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, champ said:

Fishing with some of my vintage rods and tackle is most enjoyable in reasonable weather imo.About eighteen months ago i thought i might find a hobby/collection that i could do indoors during the worst of the winter months.I decided that it would be Hornby O gauge railways.

I sold some of the vintage tackle that i did not use to fund the new hobby.I was very surprised to find out just how collectable these items were and that there is a national and indeed international club withe thousands om members.HRCA or the Hornby Railways Collectors Association.They publish a monthly magazine and hold regional meetings.My local group holding ours about 10 miles away one a month.

I did not want to fiddle with electrics so went for clockwork locos.Luckliy these are cheaper than the electric ones.I now have fifteen locos,lots of wagons,station, engine shed,tunnel,works depot,figures and rails of course.Its fun at home though being O gauge takes up a lot of room.Its also great fun to visit my local club where we run electric and clockwork with each meeting having a theme relating to the collectable theme.Locos and wagons based on one of the regions SR,LMS,LNER  etc.Hornby made the tinplate  o gauge from the late 1920s to the 1960s i believe with the pre war items being the most sought after.We dont do modelling as such we just "play trains".Thought this might be of interest.

Interesting,  how long does a wind last on a clockwork engine....?? Seem to remember from my 1950s oval of track it only went round a few times before stopping.,maybe it was just my engine.

On 08/01/2020 at 00:10, JimmyUSA said:

Now that I'm getting my health back my view on life has changed. Particularly what I do with my free time. I've been spending more time tinkering around with my Corvette. It's enjoyable. And I'm outdoors, even if the weather isn't the best this time of year.  I might buy another Corvette this year some time. I dunno. I always had a thing for the C3. Will see.  Odd as it is, I really only wear my old Timex watches now. Remember the racing ones from the 70s? Those ones. I walked in my room the other day and said to myself what the heck do you need all of these watches for? Heh heh. 

We need pictures!

13 hours ago, bridgeman said:

Interesting,  how long does a wind last on a clockwork engine....?? Seem to remember from my 1950s oval of track it only went round a few times before stopping.,maybe it was just my engine.

Hello bridgeman.It does vary from loco to loco.Generally a loco should probably go around an oval of track about eight to ten times i guess.The same loco might go a little further if some straights are added as on the oval there would be more friction against the wheels.They do tend to "fly"along straights, the longer the better.Also some clocker types have stronger  mechanisms than others.The HRCA guys fine tune their locos to get maximum performance.

• Thanks 1

"  watches designed for racing"    Let me start :  omega speedmaster.  vin

I seem to have inadvertently amassed a collection of boots. I was having a look on Pinterest earlier, and was surprised to find what I once wore for clambering over dozers, is now very de rigueur wear for the urban dude, especially in a worn out state, and there are people like this guy promoting "snake oil" to keep you 'hip".

How did boot ownership become so complicated ? 1st world problem methinks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I seem to have inadvertently amassed a collection of boots. I was having a look on Pinterest earlier...

Bladdy Pinterest...everytime I go on there, ten seconds after I've started looking at whatever it is, a drop box appears telling me to sign up to see more and the screen locks up....at which my response is...well you can guess...! :laughing2dw:

16 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I seem to have inadvertently amassed a collection of boots. I was having a look on Pinterest earlier, and was surprised to find what I once wore for clambering over dozers, is now very de rigueur wear for the urban dude, especially in a worn out state, and there are people like this guy promoting "snake oil" to keep you 'hip".

How did boot ownership become so complicated ? 1st world problem methinks.

For me it’s Converse shoes. My SO recently mentioned we might need more storage for shoes soon, which I, sticking too old cliches, initially considered as her problem rather than mine. Not sure if that’s to be considered a collection yet, but when she presented me with 33 pairs of Chucks (all belonging to me) I had to admit it was me who caused the lack of space in the show drawers. Given the poor quality of Converse, owning this many is probably more of a medical condition than a collection. ;)

On 05/03/2020 at 19:35, champ said:

Many years ago my Grandma lived in a block of six flats for the elderly, They had a communal bin place which was a locked brick built place attached to the side of the building, One day she went in to put some waste in her bin and found an old drawer full of Hornby Mechano Dublo railway stuff!, She took it all in to her flat and phoned my mum to tell her to get me to go and collect it!, There was loads of the tinplate triple line track, Diecast intersections with all sorts of other accessories and around six very heavy Loco's and about twenty or so tin carriages- There was even one of those that a door opened and caught a bag of mail from a post trackside! It had the special bit of track that made the door open to catch it!! :laughing2dw:
there were no transformers or speed controllers but I picked them up cheaply at the bootsales!!

It turned out that her two neighbours above her were both in their 90's and were sweetheart train enthusiasts!- They were getting married and moving in together and apparently he had a huge layout so hers wasn't needed anu more!!

I still have it all somewhere but not seen them in years!!

EDIT- This was the smaller 00 guage 

John :thumbsup:

Edited by johnbaz

Eldest son bought a new tarantula the other day. This one is a terrestrial species that lives on the ground. His other two are arboreal and live in tree tops. 

New spider...a Great Brazillian Blue...

Tarantula.

It was pretty hungry after its trip in the post and immediately jumped on some crickets...

The Spider shop where he bought it also gave him a Praying Mantis which I have taken charge of. It was also pretty hungry as I found out when I put a fly in its cage. It's only tiny (1" / 25mm) at the moment, probably in its 3rd instar (2 to go) but soon chased after the fly and caught it. This is a Giant Asian Mantis (Hierodula membranacea) and will eventually be around 3-4" (75-100mm) long when adult.

Praying Mantis.

Praying Mantis.

On 09/03/2020 at 21:22, johnbaz said:

EDIT- This was the smaller 00 guage 

John :thumbsup:

That size is know as "Dublo" John.The HRCA clubs usually run this at meetings to compliment (or the other way round if your a Dublo collector!).I bought a loco some trucks and tracks but it confirmed that i prefer the larger size so i will move it on at one of the meetings.

• Like 1

I have a small collection of miners' lamps I will have to dig them out, one was presented to me the other's I have picked up from places I have had an involvement with

• Like 2

Playing with the pets today...Green Bottle Blue tarantula...

Tarantula Great Brazilian Blue.

Pink Toed tarantula...

Pink Toe Tarantula.

Pink Toe Tarantula.

Caribena versicolour...a different pink toe. This one's blue.

Pink Toe Tarantula.

Praying mantis. (Hierodula membranacea-Giant Asian mantis)

Praying Mantis.

Praying Mantis.

Praying Mantis.

This mantis is tiny at the moment...here it is on my little finger. It will eventually be as big as my hand.

Praying Mantis.

Fully grown (stock pic)

Hierodula membranacea imago female review - YouTube