• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Other Interests or Collections Do You Have?

JoT

I have asked this before about eight months ago, but as the membership of the forum (with a few exceptions) has changed in this time I will pose the question again.

What else do you collect? 

I collect books, maps and prints that concern personalities and mines of the Witwatersrand goldfield, South Africa between 1886 and 1900. My prize pieces are a signed letter by Cecil John Rhodes and the first map of the Witwatersrand published in 1887. There is now only one book I haven't got.

I also have a collection of rocks and ores from all the mines I have ever visited or been involved with most of which are neatly wrapped in paper and never see the light of day.

Yes i have picked up on or two things at the Antique fairs just love the Art Deco stuff and the Arts and Crafts furniture thats a bit expensive though. i do collect as i said before Motoring Memrobilia, i have my garage full of old tin and enamel signs, oil bottles and cans, fag lighters, absolutly any thing to do with the old oil and petrol company's, fred.

Hi,

It dosen't hurt to pose the same questions again as the membership has seemed to changed.

I have a collection of scale(mostly 1-43 with a few larger ones) dicast models of racing cars, mainly classic ones from the 60's and 70's. The highlight being about 10 Le Mans type Ferrari sports cars which look rather good lined up in their red livery.

I quite like the dicast areoplanes you can get, but only have so much spare cash, so I only collect watches at the moment.

MIKE..

metal_andy said:
Military insignia, mostly aviation stuff and 1/6th scale (12") military figures, the best being a limited edition US Navy Seal Halo jumper with working (not tried that yet) parachute. Just a big kid at heart I guess. 

Hi Andy,

You must be an older version of my lad!!! he collects the Dragon figures depicting WW2 soldiers (German and Allied) he also collects army surplus uniforms and kit etc. It would be easier if he collected just insignia like you, the amount of room his stuff takes up.

MIKE..

When I was young, I had many collections: rocks, comic books, stamps, coins, the usual. The only semi-active one of these is stamps - I try to pick a few up wherever I travel. Being in the military and moving frequently puts a damper on large collections - watches are easy to pack up and move. I have a large library of military history books, especially concerning British and American airborne and special operations units from WW2 onwards

I do have an extensive audio setup - more of a hobby than a collection - with too much money in equipment and thousands of recordings (CDs and LPs). That is a bugger come moving time!

I also have a large accumulation of military 'stuff' - not really a collection. In fact, much of this would be better off in Neil's or Andy's place. We should start a non-watch swap forum.

Talk about moving, try shifting thirty odd very detailed and delicate military figures without breaking anything.

Managed it though more through luck than anything else. 

I'm sure a lot of my stuff is probably going to end up in the loft I keep on falling over it every where. 

Too much bloody hassle this moving house lark.

Still when its sorted I'll have room for more stuff mmmm watches. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I said to my dad I need to take a photo of your Pratika's he said why do you want to photograph that Russian crap for! eek.gif

Why not take some of my Canon's? laugh.gif

He must have about 100 working SLR's I counted 17 canon's yesterday! Not one Nikon though, he thinks they are over rated and sell more on the name!

Now where have I heard that before? laugh.gif

PG,

I wonder if there's a "collector" gene? eek.gif

The East German( wink.gif ) Praktica's were heavy, the older ones at least. The later "B" series were about the same as other makes.

If your dad thinks they are crap why does he collect them? blink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I must get rid of my Krud Blouseman. eek.gif

Hi Neil,

Older screw mount Praktica's were heavy although they were quite capable. Later electronic Praktica's were lighter and very effective picture taking machines. Though reliability was less good than I would have liked.

I only bought my small collection of Prakticas because they were available wink.gif and no one else wanted them. It now seems that their value is starting to increase, on eBay at least. smile.gif

he used to buy job lots at auctions, there'd be boxes of the bloody things usual crap with the odd gem. He has one that he found in such a lot that the blue book (price guide for vintage cameras) values at ovet £1,000.

I'm very much like him, can't throw anything away. btw he thinks anything of the eastern block is Russian. You should see the Zenith's he's got (cameras not watches unfortunatly). My first camera was a zenith 11 he gave me. Then I got a disc camera for snaps as they were small (also crap) Then I bought a Zenith 12!

He's got a lovely minolta digital but never uses it. Says he likes the excitement of waiting for the prints to come back from the developer!