• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Other Interests or Collections Do You Have?

JoT

Cars

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Yes a long time ago, it is closed now sadly, all the artefacts have gone to another museum somewhere, not sure what they are going to do with the buildings
I remember being at school with the curators son mark dawson. He told me a story once about how they went down a mine some where around the area. There was a body left of an old miner. So the story went and he had all his tools on him. They werent sure whether he had died down there when working. In fact they thought it was more likely he had gone back for a look after it closed. They were allowed to keep all the tools, hat and boots of the corpse they claimed and they went in the museum. Shame its gone. My mates dad was an engineer and built his own traction engine about half the size of a mini all in full working order.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

well I like David Bowie,Mick Ronson, Alphaville, coins, classic cars my mx5 also collect model cars of triumph tr7 cars, like cameras, like dads army and other classic British comedy tv, and lighters don't even smoke  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JoT said:

Hartlepool FB Dennis F12

We have fire engines in Hartlepool ?? 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Some of the places I've lived in in Hartlepool you would need something like this these days 

caterpillar-fire-truck-27927185.jpg

One place near where we lived they even nicked the ambulance. 

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local-news/ambulance-stolen-999-medics-treat-3674373

:huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another pastime I sometimes spend a few hours doing is knot tying. I love trying to make some of the more complicated forms illustrated in my books. I usually end up making key fobs, which are simple to do and I end up giving most of them away. When I'm not looking at watches, I find it quite relaxing to make a couple of an evening.

Old knot books and string.

The two on the left are based on crown sennits and finished with a 'manrope' knot. The next two are whistle lanyards  using single and double 'Turk's head' knots and the last three are basic macrame knotting...when the strands are tied in opposite directions around the central cores, the resulting weave is flat. When they are tied all in the same direction, the weave takes on a spiral shape.

Key fobs.

Key fobs.

Key fobs.

• Like 5

@Roger the Dodger

That's interesting Roger, I am nowhere near that standard but do a bit of knot tying, I find it therapeutic :laugh:

I have a length of line on which I practice the knots learnt in the fire service back in the 1970's, simple knots like the reef, bowline and sheet bend, through more complex knots like bowline on the bight, chair knot etc as well as various hitches. Probably the most complex knot was the Turk's Head so nothing like yours, also did splicing and whipping.

I don't even know if line work is a thing now in the modern fire service 

6 minutes ago, JoT said:

@Roger the Dodger

That's interesting Roger, I am nowhere near that standard but do a bit of knot tying, I find it therapeutic :laugh:

I have a length of line on which I practice the knots learnt in the fire service back in the 1970's, simple knots like the reef, bowline and sheet bend, through more complex knots like bowline on the bight, chair knot etc as well as various hitches. Probably the most complex knot was the Turk's Head so nothing like yours, also did splicing and whipping.

I don't even know if line work is a thing now in the modern fire service 

Good to see there's another 'knotter' on the forum, John...and I think @Iceblue is into it as well. I did make a couple of large knotboards several years ago that I gave away as 'housewarming' presents to friends. Unfortunately, I never took any pics of them, but you know the sort of thing I mean...like this...

Image result for Knot Boards

Now that has made me think it's time to make one for myself!

As an aside, while at work and out in the pickup truck, we often had to tie a load down, and I always used a 'Waggoner's' hitch or dolly as it's sometimes known. Despite me showing one colleague how to make this knot several times, he just couldn't get the hang of it. It's one of the simplest knots to make, based on half a sheepshank, yet as it works like a pulley system, is capable of exerting great pressure on a load...even more so if doubled up...yet it falls apart easily once the tension is released.

Sadly, you don't see many lorry drivers using it these days...the ratchet strap has taken over, but if you can learn to do it, it's one of the most useful hitches ever. The guy in this video ties it exactly the same way as I do, and you can see how easily it comes apart too.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2019 at 12:53, Roger the Dodger said:

Good to see there's another 'knotter' on the forum, John...and I think @Iceblue is into it as well. I did make a couple of large knotboards several years ago that I gave away as 'housewarming' presents to friends. Unfortunately, I never took any pics of them, but you know the sort of thing I mean...like this...

Image result for Knot Boards

Now that has made me think it's time to make one for myself!

As an aside, while at work and out in the pickup truck, we often had to tie a load down, and I always used a 'Waggoner's' hitch or dolly as it's sometimes known. Despite me showing one colleague how to make this knot several times, he just couldn't get the hang of it. It's one of the simplest knots to make, based on half a sheepshank, yet as it works like a pulley system, is capable of exerting great pressure on a load...even more so if doubled up...yet it falls apart easily once the tension is released.

I’m sure your knot tying comes in “very” handy now and again! :whistle:

58-D8-BB22-AB47-4225-95-E2-F386-E7208-A6

• Haha 3

This is a few mine I have a fundraiser ihread on twf selling them and some off the money go to charity and the upkeep of the forum 

6B4F74EE-EB06-4F7E-86BA-D262AEAFCEA2.jpeg

90EF02CA-0907-40B4-8625-50C9F3C770EB.jpeg

I also just started to restore and due up old school 1980,s bmx bike one complete and one still doing up 

6B7D6341-C191-425E-89F0-55FF1107FD5A.jpeg

576E45D4-50EC-4141-B6E2-FC5C493C1C1E.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few hours to spare and as both my lads had asked me for new key fobs, made a couple to keep them happy. The first is based on a boat fender and is made using a four strand square braid for the loop,then an eight strand crown sennit and finally finishing with a Spanish ring knot at the top.

large.20190609_094107.jpg.0e20be5d520772ac9af2ad9b7cb19062.jpg

The second uses a three strand plait for the loop, then a double diamond knot, an alternate three by three crown sennit which forms the twisted part and finished with a six strand star knot topped with a double crown knot.

large.20190609_121904.jpg.1577cef2992cd578f9697a51717a1ccc.jpg

large.20190609_122412.jpg.56f9a30f9ed3a2b8415f49957771d0cd.jpg

• Like 3