• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Other Interests or Collections Do You Have?

JoT

• 1 month later...
On 27/05/2019 at 12:53, Roger the Dodger said:

Waggoner's' hitch or dolly as it's sometimes known.

Kinch, double kinch, or as they say up hear, "a sows lug".

Similar knot but different to how I tie it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/05/2019 at 20:56, Nigelp said:

Ever been to Butlins in Ayr?

On 11/05/2019 at 21:09, BondandBigM said:

Back in the day around the mid 70's I worked in Ayr, a lot of girls from Butlins on nights out.

I live about 25 minutes from Ayr, but never been to Butlins. :king:

Some pictures here, may rekindle some memories, Bond!  :thumbsup:

http://www.butlins-memories.com/ayr/photos.htm

Edited by The Mystery Bidder
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Mystery Bidder said:

I live about 25 minutes from Ayr, but never been to Butlins. :king:

Some pictures here, may rekindle some memories, Bond!  :thumbsup:

http://www.butlins-memories.com/ayr/photos.htm

Coincidentally Big M's daughter has organised a Halloween bash at Cairn Tara aka Butlins at Ayr as seen here in the distance a few weeks ago. 

48031709818_d37d1fa56a_b.jpg

So if you see someone staggering around your locality with a half bottle of Buckie dressed as James Bond.......... 

48032543838_d92fc85f5d_b.jpg

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Bunty

On 20/07/2019 at 11:51, Mrs Wiggles said:

I play golf, badly most of the time, and have a classic car. 1954 Austin A30. Got her last year for about £2k less than others in a similar condition, and have spent £2k in the last year getting her up to scratch. Isn't she lovely though ?

p548yb3.jpg

She's rather special! I do love an Austin A30. Above is my 1953 Morris Minor - recently restored.

Too many to list. I can restore and repair vintage Parker 51 pens to a very good standard, build PC`s, make candles, grow veg every year, make custom knives, collect denim from Japan and a long list of other largely useless hobbies and interests....

On 20/08/2019 at 07:19, spanner74 said:

Wow! Mine had the 803 engine but we swapped it for the 948 and equivalent gear box and it's much better. Also have a 1969 minor 1000 which I use often.

There is a guy who stays round the corner from me has one of the last Minors. It has the running gear from a 1275 MG Midget,disc brakes on the front and servo brakes so it stops. I'd still love a pick up.

Or an A40

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 08:32, WRENCH said:

There is a guy who stays round the corner from me has one of the last Minors. It has the running gear from a 1275 MG Midget,disc brakes on the front and servo brakes so it stops. I'd still love a pick up.

Or an A40

Yes there are some decent modifications - that must be a good drive. My '69 has a servo so that stops....the '53 no so much. Pick-ups are going for quite a lot of money these days.

12 minutes ago, spanner74 said:

Yes there are some decent modifications - that must be a good drive. My '69 has a servo so that stops....the '53 no so much. Pick-ups are going for quite a lot of money these days.

I saw a Van on eBay recently, "asking" £26.995. Ridiculous.

My dad had a 1962 two door with the trafficators in the same position as yours. The older ones were lower down the pillar.

98621406ea5aab21545a885bde0ccf94.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MSC said:

Too many to list. I can restore and repair vintage Parker 51 pens to a very good standard, build PC`s, make candles, grow veg every year, make custom knives, collect denim from Japan and a long list of other largely useless hobbies and interests....

Nice! I write with a Parker 45 I've had over 30 years but I've hankered for a 51. Do you sell them?

On 13/10/2003 at 21:20, Stan said:

I have a small collection of East German Praktica bayonet mount cameras and lense. Some are becomming quite sought after now.

Why collect these? Because no one else wanted them then and thought they were a joke. Now, some people would love my 50mm f1.4, 80mm f1.8 and the 55mm macro lens

But they should have thought of that before

i like vintage cameras.   the East German cameras  were not popular.  the shutters were not accurate,  the contax camera, before the war,  was as good as leica,  east german contax clone (russian) was poorly made and short lived.   on the good side,!  the lenses are very good and compete with leica.  so;  after the war all the lenses we snaped up but the camera bodies were left without lenses and worthless.  as it still today.   vin

On 20/08/2019 at 15:06, spanner74 said:

Nice! I write with a Parker 45 I've had over 30 years but I've hankered for a 51. Do you sell them?

collecting vintage ink pens  is very good,   like watches   if you can fix them, you can use them.   vin

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spanner74 said:

I have sold some in the past. But the problem was by the time I bought the pen, the quality new parts like the sac and breather tube and polished it all, the value only went up enough to cover costs and I was left with nothing or virtually nothing for my time.

I have three 45`s, but I prefer the 51`s and old Pelikan 400 pens

On 19/08/2019 at 16:35, spanner74 said:

Bunty

She's rather special! I do love an Austin A30. Above is my 1953 Morris Minor - recently restored.

Yes, under the bonnet a very similar car

19 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I started off with a Van. My mate has a MM. Like this one. Beautiful but slow.

640px-1949_Morris_Minor_Convertible_-_Fl

It depends what you class as slow. My Josephine (Austin A30) has an 803cc engine with no less than a 29 bhp under the bonnet, which when new could do 60mph, with a 0-60 of 39 seconds.Surely that is  blistering performance. Of course, she is now 65 years old and has to be respected. 

A couple more knotting projects...someone asked me if I could make a hockey stick key fob in red and white. I had to experiment a bit with this one as I needed to make a solid core in order to hold the J shape. I eventually found an old knitting needle and bent it into the right shape, then tied the knots (Solomon knots) around it. I've never tried this before, so it will be interesteing to how long it lasts.

Key Fobs

Key Fobs

The second one is my first attempt at an Avengers item. This is Thor's hammer (Mjolnir) made as a key fob. Basically, it's a 'monkey's fist' tied round a small rectangular piece of wood. The handle is a series of snake knots tied on top of each other, then stitched through with grey micro paracord.

Key Fobs

Key Fobs

• Like 2

Many, many years ago, during the two year convalescence period following a serious car accident in 1989, I got quite involved with woodturning. A friend gave me the extended use of a Record woodturning lathe, and I bought the basic tools (Spindle, skew and bowl turning gouges, parting tool, calipers etc) and set about filling my time making various items from local, as well as exotic woods. Over the period I made many lace bobbins, goblets, vases, bowls, egg cups, pens, clocks...anything that could be made was explored. One of my favourite pastimes was to use small offcuts (which would otherwise have been binned) to make either wooden eggs, or fruit. These were often used as samples to show the different woods available...especially the exotics. Most items were given away, as people never seem to want to pay for something 'you've knocked up in the shed'. The phase eventually passed and the lathe was reclaimed by its owner. Sadly, I never used to take pics of the pieces, so don't have a record of the many items I made. However, since the untimely demise of my mother-in-law, during the clearout of her house, we found a bowl of wooden fruit that I had made for her in 1992. Its the only thing I have left now, and has been bought home for posterity.

This bowl of fruit was made during 1992...

Woodturning

The bowl is made from a single bowl blank of Fiddleback Sycamore, and the fruit are made variously from Purple Heart, Tulip Wood, Bird's Eye Maple, Lignum Vitae, Lime and Burr Walnut. The stalks are Ebony.

Woodturning.

Turning a pedestal bowl like this from a single blank is very wasteful, as 90% of it ends up on the floor as shavings. I made later, similar bowls from two pieces and joined them together. The blackening on the rim and flutes on the base are done by pressing another piece of wood against the spinning bowl so that it scorches it. When sanded and polished, it makes an attractive highlight, especially on blond woods like this. In the pic below you can see the lovely grain of the Fiddleback Sycamore. As it's name suggests, this wood is commonly used for the backs of violins and fiddles, usually a pair of bookmatched pieces.

Woodturning.

Woodturning.

This lemon is made of Bird's Eye Maple, a stunningly beautiful wood often used for the dashboard in prestigious cars. Rounded objects like friut or eggs cant be held in a normal lathe chuck...you have to make what is called a scrapwood chuck which looks a bit like a cup, and the piece wedges into it and is held by friction alone.

Woodturning.

Apples from Lime and Lignum Vitae (which is heavier than water and sinks). Stalks are Ebony.

Woodturning.

Pears from Tulip Wood and Purple Heart...the colours when freshly turned are very vibrant...especially when polished and waxed. These fruit have also been coated in a product called Rustins Plastic coating which gives the very glossy finish. Sadly over time the colours fade and these are not as bright as they would have been 27 years ago.

Woodturning.

Plums and cherry from Purple Heart. The cherry stalk is a twig cut from the hedgerow...originally it was forked like a wishbone and there was another cherry with it, but over the years it has become broken.

Woodturning.

This pear was made out of a bit of Burr Walnut, and I turned it to look as though it was a bit mouldy. I added the little Lime maggot as a bit of fun!

Woodturning.

Woodturning.

Woodturning.

Perhaps I should buy another woodturning lathe and start up again now that I've retired.

• Like 5

Have to say Roger, Those fruits and bowl are brilliant!! :clap::notworthy:

I once bought a Record 24dml from the bootsale, I had a chat with the seller, He'd bought it as a hobby but when he saw the amount of shavings in his garage, He didn't use it again! :mad0218:, He asked £20 for it! :whistle:, The rest was missing so he gave me his address and I went over to his in the afternoon, He'd found the rest along with a box of Marples chisels, I gave him a tenner for the chisels and came away happy!

I never did set it up due to not having room but on a Bushcraft forum a chap had a Granville Senior metal lathe, He'd tried turning wood in it but found it too restrictive and wanted to swap it for a wood turning lathe, I offered the once used Record which he jumped at so we met in Derby and did the trade!, Forgot to say, I acquired a set of chucks for the Record, I was telling a mate at work about it, Turned out his uncle was managing director there, He brought me the £300 set and wouldn't take anything for them!, He only wanted a breakfast buying on the friday! :blush:

I bought some exotic woods/Burrwoods to put some knives together but ended up sending most of the stuff to a lad that wanted to have a go!!

uffVpjX.jpg

John :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/08/2019 at 19:30, BondandBigM said:

Was that in between making bits for Super Guns. 

:biggrin:

Back in the day I bought a few lathes from this place. 

Im1951MWYB-Ward.jpg

I have a vague memory that it was just along the road a bit from Forgemasters ??? 

It was Bond, I used to pass it every day on my way to work until the planners stopped us driving through the Whicker!!

My father was a driver for Tommy Wards scrap division, Wages were rubbish but the fiddle made up for it!! :thumbsup:

John :)