• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I’m off to st Petersburg for a couple of days very soon,  anyone any experience of watch hunting?  Is it worth bothering with , I’ve no idea about prices or brands to hunt down? I’d really like a momentous though.

thank you 

Can’t help you with any potential bargains, sorry.

But, do make the effort to visit the Hermitage Museum, a wonderful collection.

The stand out exhibit, for me, is the British goldsmith James Cox ‘Peacock Clock’ automaton...outstanding!!

Enjoy your trip.

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

The stand out exhibit, for me, is the British goldsmith James Cox ‘Peacock Clock’ automaton...outstanding!!

Enjoy your trip.

We are booked in for there already.  We are on a cruise stopping off overnight, one of the trips is a tour when it’s closed to the public of the hermitage followed by champs and a classical orchestra.  I’m hoping we get the chance to see the Peacock clock now.   It’s a bit pricey  but she’s not a bad old girl.  

Just looked it it up on google.  Good god!

Edited by Laughing gravy
Update
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughing gravy said:

I’m off to st Petersburg for a couple of days very soon,  anyone any experience of watch hunting?  Is it worth bothering with , I’ve no idea about prices or brands to hunt down? I’d really like a momentous though.

thank you 

I'd be on the lookout for these,

https://raketa-shop.com/w/en/13-raketa-watches

And see if the factory tour is still in offer for free.

https://raketa-shop.com/en/content/4-about-us

Sounds like a great holiday.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Enjoy your trip.

is not the gold of Troy  there also?

• Thanks 1

one here for 19 quid, Russian stuff is as common as muck on the bay for nowt, why bother trailing all the way over there. Might as well nip down argos and get a seiko, anyhow. 

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-VOSTOK-Komandirskie-Commanders-watch-c-1980s-USSR-Soviet-Union/254274716207?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

or this ones a bit weird for 27 quid.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-MENS-VINTAGE-MECHANICAL-HAND-WINDING-USSR-POBIEDA/123718668369?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

they wouldnt have cost anything in £££ back in the day, infact in Romania when i went in the 80's as a kid the locals would give you a few for a tenner of her majesties pounds so they could get in the 'dollar shops' like us and the yanks could.  

Probably back in 1983 you are looking at about 3 quids worth of watches new in the above and that would probably transfer into a 9 quid new amphibia in the same year, might now infact...let us know how you go on. If you can do an @Daveyboyz and bring a sack full back through customs, with all the open freedom of movement weve been having you should beable to walk through ok.  

• Like 3

Interesting, saw this late.  Many watch shops I found in Russia were more expensive than online purchase of Russian watches.  Dont know if that was because they were looking at the overseas buyer or tax reasons but its probably cheaper and easier to buy online.

• Like 1