• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

Seiko and Omax - A Conundrum

I just wondered if any Seiko experts out there - like @kevkojak - can tell me what the link was between Seiko and Omax. I have an interesting quartz  Omax watch (which I can't locate at the moment) that is co-branded with Seiko on the piece itself, and I read somewhere that the two firms had some sort of agreement at some time. Information on this connection would be greatly appreciated.:)

12 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I just wondered if any Seiko experts out there - like @kevkojak - can tell me what the link was between Seiko and Omax. I have an interesting quartz  Omax watch (which I can't locate at the moment) that is co-branded with Seiko on the piece itself, and I read somewhere that the two firms had some sort of agreement at some time. Information on this connection would be greatly appreciated.:)

A snip of info,

https://www.omaxwatchnetherlandsonline.com/en_GB/c-4295679/omax-watch-models/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are rubbish.

I often end up stuck with them if I buy a job lot of Seiko stuff.  Made in China but pushing the Japanese angle because they (sort of) use Seiko movements.   Sadly the movements they use are the crap ones, usually reserved for lorus or alba, occasionally pulsar. 

They are dirt cheap, low quality and maybe others have had more luck but I literally struggle to give them away.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for that link, dear @WRENCH - most informative even if it feels tinged with hype - and thanks @kevkojak for your pithy assessment of Omax watches. I presume that Seiko agreed to provide various components to Omax, which surprises me a bit given the general quality and price sector levels of Seiko group watch brands. Most interesting.:)

• Like 1

On 01/07/2019 at 15:26, Always"watching" said:

Many thanks for that link, dear @WRENCH - most informative even if it feels tinged with hype - and thanks @kevkojak for your pithy assessment of Omax watches. I presume that Seiko agreed to provide various components to Omax, which surprises me a bit given the general quality and price sector levels of Seiko group watch brands. Most interesting.:)

It's not so much that Seiko "agreed" sadly. Anyone can arrange to buy movements in bulk from SeikoEpson. The danger therein is that people see "seiko" stamped into a movement and presume that the watch they are holding is of equivalent quality to a higher end Seiko when really it's probably closer to an entry level lorus. 

I must just say, dear Kev @kevkojak, that in the case of the Omax/Seiko watch I mentioned above, it wasn't a question of merely the movement having been stamped with the Seiko name - obviously, most watch brands use movements (of varying quality) from makers from outside sources. In the case of my Omax/Seiko watch, the dial is branded, "SEIKO," while the screw-down caseback is branded, "OMAX." Both the dial and the back are also marked, "WATERPROOF" and the back also has a stamped serial number and "JAPAN."

This is a strange watch, and now that I have looked at it again, in the light of your interesting post about Omax, it is evident that the watch, including the metal bracelet, just isn't of Seiko quality (or even Lorus quallity for that matter), with the branding and highlighting on the dial looking a bit cheap.

:)

• Thanks 1