• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi all, my son brought this travel clock around yesterday boasting that I would not be able to find any information about it. After not finding anything on the net, I thought you people will are my best bet. So please any info on the company and a rough date would be brilliant and it will prove to my son that I am in with the right crowd. Sorry not the best picture, Its an S&S 2 jewel swiss key wound movement, tics along quite happily, its just that the hands don't go with it they seem lose. Thanks for any info!large._20190701_083504.JPG.8edb2f4638a53926d7880b38edc90983.JPG

What an interesting conundrum, @vstromer650. My first conclusion was that your clock was actually part of a larger instrument designed for the workplace, recording clocking-on and clocking-off times, and these instruments were/are generally termed, "time recorders." However, I then discovered a Swiss-made pocket watch that bears the name, ' "S. & S. TIME RECORDER" ' on the dial, along with "EUREKA LEVER" and "SWISS MADE."  This watch, with a separate seconds register at 6 o'clock and crown-wind, would seem to date from the early 20th century and, unusually, it has a button or slider in the four o'clock position on the side of the case, the purpose of which I am not sure. (pics from i.ebayimg.com):

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

In order to progress with your enquiry, some additional pictures would be helpful, especially of the movement, and could you also tell us what is printed on your clock dial immediately beneath the title, "TIME RECORDER."

• Like 1

Sorry! here are some more picslarge._20190701_195011.JPG.aeed6fa3f5c09013f941d44861070760.JPGlarge._20190701_084325.JPG.d21b12f46e9c0cf1d141b53fb85b3807.JPGlarge._20190701_083504.JPG.ad1a7e5f3f89ef776d459373e7d0b98b.JPG

Thank you both for your interest! Not really sure what non magnetic means, it looks like there are steel components in there.

1 hour ago, stdape said:

Seen a few on e-bay, are you sure it is not 7 jewel?

Quite possibly 7 jewels, my eyes aren't what they used to be! 

5 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

What an interesting conundrum, @vstromer650. My first conclusion was that your clock was actually part of a larger instrument designed for the workplace, recording clocking-on and clocking-off times, and these instruments were/are generally termed, "time recorders." However, I then discovered a Swiss-made pocket watch that bears the name, ' "S. & S. TIME RECORDER" ' on the dial, along with "EUREKA LEVER" and "SWISS MADE."  This watch, with a separate seconds register at 6 o'clock and crown-wind, would seem to date from the early 20th century and, unusually, it has a button or slider in the four o'clock position on the side of the case, the purpose of which I am not sure. (pics from i.ebayimg.com):

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

In order to progress with your enquiry, some additional pictures would be helpful, especially of the movement, and could you also tell us what is printed on your clock dial immediately beneath the title, "TIME RECORDER."

It reads non magnetic, whatever that means, I too saw this on ebay but have not found any more info! 

It is possible their might be a cal or some info under the Dial. Some people can tell what movement it is, by looking at the setting lever under the dial. Knowing what the Movement is might help date it. But obviously do not try if your not use to doing that.

see what you mean information is lacking on Google!! So annoying as i have a few pocket watches hard to find information on. Its a nice movement, tried looking in the books i have (not many), but no luck. Will keep trying, but hopefully someone will shed light on this. Just to narrow it down how wide is the movement? In MM 

• Like 1

Thanks stdape, the movement measures 41.5mm and is definitely 7 jewels. Yes after removing the 3 screws on the front that surround the glass, the metal and glass and the face all moved at the same time telling me that all that was holding it all together was the hands (annoying) so I have just put it back together. Another strange thing I have noticed is the red line on the face at the 59 marker, not a clue what that's about. The brown leather covered wooden 3 fold box that the clock/watch is mounted in looks original and there are no makers marks on it, don't know if any of this helps our quest for answers!

Not really sure what to do with this now, do I put some money into it and get it restored and serviced, though I think it would have been better as a pocket watch rather than a travel clock, I also think there will be a lot of unanswered questions about the manufacturer and a possible date for it. Any thoughts please! Thanks.