• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Druid

New member, learning the ropes :)

Hi,

I stumbled into this whole thing because of a Sekonda Safari, no strap, dead movement, glass stove in and looking very sorry for itself and with it came a dark blue mother of pearl Sekonda chronograph and in spot on condition sans strap and a matching ladies date Sekonda with the same blue pearl which wasn't working and I sat there contemplating sending them to Sekonda to get working again and one of my favourite Youtuber's MyMateVince did a couple videos doing some repairs on a Tudor and another brand and I thought to mesel' "hey I reckon I could do that" so inspiration to Vince and def worth watching his vids (I am a frequent annoyance in the comments).

Being of the inquisitive type that likes to fiddle with shiny objects as I do, I started looking into a new strap for the chrono, I replaced the tiny coil in the ladies and I rebuilt the Safari with a new glass, new movement (Miyota 2115 cost like £3) and feeling bold I made a 1970's era type of rivetted wide hide military strap hand rivetting the brass studs and it went so well with the bronze and gunmetal of the case.

So def a beginner but I am thoroughly enjoying this I thought, so won a couple of joblots of broken watches off of ebay giving me something like 65 quartz watches to play with and 5 mechanicals including some very odd pocket mechanical in an Ingersoll case called an Alert Junior and very cheaply made, also a very old Paul Jobin IncaBloc is there missing the stem so have fixed a few of the quartz's, some needing a clean, or stuck hands but simple fixes, some are more intricate like the two Seiko's but I am cutting my teeth on the quartz until I feel competent enough to do a proper mechanical.

I am a bit of a nutter as it happens, officially I am mentally ill thanks to PTSD and I find clockwork very soothing, I also own a tribe of cats, two daughters, three grandchildren, a 1958 Lambretta and a three wheel van... and a huge collection of Matchbox cars I restore and a large collection of model steam, not married anymore (thankful for that) and my little flat is basically a walk in and around workshop which drives my girls to distraction, usually when they have fallen over tyres or knocked a hammer onto their toes :)   Oh the name comes from my oldest class character from World of Warcraft, been playing that nigh on fifteen years...

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum mate, I think you will fit in nicely around here as there are plenty of other nutters to keep you company :laugh:

It would be great to see some pics of your work, it sounds like you're off to a great start with your tinkering.  A lot of people on here are highly skilled watchmakers, so feel free to have a look through the previous posts and get some ideas.  If you get stuck with anything in particular there are always plenty of helpful members who can help you out.

With regards to your Matchbox collection, I've got a few "Models of Yesteryear" from my childhood that you might be interested in, so if you make it to 50 posts I'll let you have them free of charge if you like.  There's your incentive to stick around on here and participate (but please don't speedpost as that is frowned upon...).  The 50 posts thing is when you get to Private Message other members, in case you were wondering.

:rltrlt:

Hi, Druid, and welcome to the forum! :thumbsup: We have a section for other hobbies, so would be nice to see some pics of your Matchbox and steam collections as well as the watches.

Welcome indeed, Druid. What a great introduction - if only more new members would properly introduce themselves.

If you are a "nutter" in having PTSD, then I must be completely gone in the head with my DID - thanks for sharing that, by the way, and I hope you gain as much as I have, psychologically, from being a member of this friendly and informative forum.:biggrin: