• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

GMT hunt - forum knowledge required!

I'd like to buy myself a new (or new to me at least) GMT watch. I have one in my collection and find it very useful in keeping track of my youngest son's time while he's been travelling for the last two years (and is off again soon).

My requirements aren't too specific - can be quartz or mechanical, most dial colours considered.

The only specific requirement I have is that the GMT time measurement isn't on the bezel as it is with my Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT as shown here. I fancy one where the GMT bit is within the dial.

I've seen this Armand Nicolet which I quite like, but it's maybe going to be a little more expensive than is comfortable. The case shape is nice, being slightly cushion/octagonal.

Speaking of budget, £500 or less would be nice, but for something really nice a grand or so might be exceptable.

The wisdom of the forum is much needed and will be gratefully received :)d94dc73aaeaa130f3a1a7a98629c7ee0.jpg3347398af74d73d535e31a2fb6a582c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Orient is a nice dressy GMT with a sapphire crystal and within budget . https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orient-Analog-Japanese-Automatic-Leather-FDJ05003W0/dp/B013B0QIEM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=23RSJW5LFZH

This one appeals Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

It would be for £500.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Eski said:

Speaking of budget, £500 or less would be nice,

One of these from around £160.

SUN033P1__01572.1534003308.500.659.png?c

Seiko Mens Kinetic GMT SUN033P1

Or anything from an amazing array of G Shocks.

• Like 2

How about a Steinhart GMT as per the link? Looks very similar to @Roger the Dodger's Rolex but in a man size rather than unisex :whistle: but they do a 39mm one if you prefer unisex size. :clap:

The only downside is that it does look very much like the Rolex but if the fact that it is a copy worries you then just call it a `homage' and you will feel better.

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-forty-four-gmt-blue-red.html

Must admit that looking at this again, I am tempted. :clap:

The Seiko definitely ticks the box of having its GMT scale on the dial rather than the bezel. However, it's too similar to my existing Seiko GMT.

I didn't mention this before (apologies chaps) but I'd like a little refinement/ understated style, so no G Shocks.

The Rolex is of course not even in the budget ballpark, but to be honest it isn't what I'm looking for aesthetically either.

This Monta Atlas GMT is closer to what I'd like, although it too is a little over budget.926423a659b7e540ec5b8b77a6a932c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1
17 hours ago, richy176 said:

How about a Steinhart GMT as per the link? Looks very similar to @Roger the Dodger's Rolex but in a man size rather than unisex :whistle: but they do a 39mm one if you prefer unisex size. :clap:

The only downside is that it does look very much like the Rolex but if the fact that it is a copy worries you then just call it a `homage' and you will feel better.

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-forty-four-gmt-blue-red.html

Must admit that looking at this again, I am tempted. :clap:

I was and the 39mm is one of my favourites now. Price good for the OP but not the GMT as the 24 hour scale is on the bezel. 

IMG_20190615_092213.thumb.jpg.5fbc72b5e7824ea28c580b6c8549cdee.jpg

• Like 1

The Mido is nice. The Seiko is cool. There are some very interesting suggestions chaps.

I haven't seen the one that induces dribbling yet though smile.gif.71427c61fea3abaef392e259e48da727.gif

The Orient is very nice. I could see myself wearing it. Same with a fair few of the suggestions.

I wasn't expecting such a display of interesting GMT watches that one can purchase, and some of them are really nice. Staring with Roger's Rolex, I must admit that my choice of Rolex GMT watch would have to be the Explorer II - a masterpiece in my view (pic from chronexttime.imgix.net)

ID%2041142%20SKU%20M03998_2_det.png?w=80

Leaving aside Rolex, I do like the Mido shown by Caller, and that white dial Orient. In the Seiko camp, I like the model shown by WRENCH, and may I say that I also really like the Sportura you already have, dear Eski.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
I wasn't expecting such a display of interesting GMT watches that one can purchase, and some of them are really nice. Staring with Roger's Rolex, I must admit that my choice of Rolex GMT watch would have to be the Explorer II - a masterpiece in my view (pic from chronexttime.imgix.net)

ID%2041142%20SKU%20M03998_2_det.png?w=800&auto=format&fm=jpg&q=75&usm=30&usmrad=1&h=800&fit=clamp

Leaving aside Rolex, I do like the Mido shown by Caller, and that white dial Orient. In the Seiko camp, I like the model shown by WRENCH, and may I say that I also really like the Sportura you already have, dear Eski.
Thank you sir!

The Seiko I have is often referred to as the Polar Explorer due to its many similarities to your original.

What's the team's thoughts on the Armand Nicolet I referenced at the top of the thread?

just a though - if perhaps you dont want a permanently on show gmt hand then how about something like this citizen (wot I is wearing today) old pic 

31262753437_7a81c029ab_z.jpg

you have the second time zone always available with a click and twist of the crown - so TME I leave on BST and the L-TM (local time I assume) is them set to either BST at home or to whatever the time is when I am away.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rotundus said:

- so TME I leave on BST GMT and the L-TM (local time I assume) is them set to either BST at home or to whatever the time is when I am away.

TME set to GMT (not summer time) as stated