• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
RTM Boy

Favourite Character Actors

Yesterday the actor Freddie Jones was caught and bowled at 91 (years of age).  One of my favourite character actors, becoming a professional actor somewhat late in life as a career change (he worked as a laboratory technician in Tamworth), he's possibly best known for playing Sandy Thomas in Emmerdale for 13 years, although he had literally hundreds of roles on stage and screen over nearly six decades.

MV5BMjIxNjc3MTQxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU2ODgwMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1426,1000_AL_.jpg

My personal favourite performance was as Inspector Baynes in Wisteria Lodge, part of The Return of Sherlock Holmes series (1988), also starring Jeremy Brett, Edward Hardwicke, Donald Churchill and Kika Markham, in which he gave Jeremy Brett a run for his money.

wisteria2.jpg

f8f1a5f032ebdec430caceb6c7a8b7a1.png

Always entertaining, applying a comic seriousness to tragedy, with a remarkable depth not many actors can include such a broad range of roles ranging form many RSC productions to Far From The Madding Crowd (1967), The Elephant Man (1980), Dune (1984) and other TV soaps like Heartbeat and Casualty.

RIP Freddie.

Anyone have a character actor (with us or no longer with us) that you particularly admire?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

GoodBadUgly_139Pyxurz-300x160.jpg

Ah, a still of Eli's brilliant portrayal of Tuco (aka The Rat) that deserved an Oscar.

Delli Colli cinematography was truly superb.  And as for Morricone's score, well...

No-one received even an Academy Award nomination.

2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

Ah, a still of Eli's brilliant portrayal of Tuco (aka The Rat) that deserved an Oscar.

A brilliant (method) actor. A close second would be,

Fool_Love_1985_4_web.jpg

or,

6a00d83451cb7469e201b7c70447ee970b-400wi

fact is, the really brilliant don't necessarily get the fame they deserve (or want).

• Like 1

Martin sheene`s portrayal of Brian clough in `The damned United` was superb, if you`re not a football fan you maybe wont appreciate it but he was excellent.

11 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

Delli Colli cinematography was truly superb.  And as for Morricone's score, well...

No-one received even an Academy Award nomination.

Everything about that film is superb, nothing to say thats not been said countless times!

• Like 1

I was going to post a few until I decided to check on the definition (courtesy of Wiki)

"A character actor is a supporting actor who plays unusual, interesting, or eccentric characters"

I will have to think about someone who fits this :hmmm9uh:

Basil Rathbone should get a mention, not so much for his portrayal as Sherlock Holmes, but for all the incidental characters he played in those movies when Holmes was in disguise.  The peddler on Dartmoor in "The Hound of the Baskervilles", the music hall song and dance actor in "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and the rude postman in "The Spider Woman", for example.

Patricia Morison shows great talent too in "Dressed to Kill", disguised as the cleaning lady.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sabailand said:

Martin sheene`s portrayal of Brian clough in `The damned United` was superb, if you`re not a football fan you maybe wont appreciate it but he was excellent.

I agree, a splendid performance by Martin Sheen, totally believable as Cloughy, although even if you're not particularly into football there was still much to enjoy in The Damned United.    He WAS Clough, in a similar way as his portrayals of David Frost, Blair and Kenneth Williams in particular.

I have to mention too Timothy Spall's depiction of Peter Taylor and how the two related to eachother was excellent.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

I agree, a splendid performance by Martin Sheen, totally believable as Cloughy, although even if you're not particularly into football there was still much to enjoy in The Damned United.    He WAS Clough, in a similar way as his portrayals of David Frost, Blair and Kenneth Williams in particular.

I have to mention too Timothy Spall's depiction of Peter Taylor and how the two related to eachother was excellent.

Yes you`re right about Timothy Spall too, another excellent truly believable performance, i enjoyed the film immensely and im not even a Leeds fan! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

OK got one which fits the definition of character actor

Walter Brennan - prolific actor rarely the lead probably best remembered for his Western movies usually playing characters older than he was in real life.

He won three Oscars for best supporting actor

He was "Stumpy" in Rio Bravo one of my favourite western movies and the one below in Red River

walter-brennan-and-john-wayne.jpg

I was going to mention Walter Brennan too.  Ironic that he was often paired with one of the biggest stars and yet least talented actors of all time; yep, I'm referring to none other than John Wayne.  Oh I love the roles he plays but, let's face it, he's not really acting is he.

How about Jon Pertwee?  From Dr. Who to Worzel Gummidge and a variety of Carry On characters such as the Soothsayer in "Cleo", Sheriff Earp in "Cowboy" and the mad scientist/Dr. in "Screaming".  And, like Basil Rathbone I mentioned earlier, I'm only referring to his film/TV career, not the myriad theatrical roles he performed.

I also feel compelled to mention Carolyn Jones.  Her career seemed to falter at the brink of stardom but she shone in a number of disparate roles.  She was captivating in "House of Wax", superb as the gangster's moll in "King Creole", funny and seductive as the villainous Marsha Queen of Diamonds in the 60's Batman TV series and iconic as Morticia in the original Addams Family.

There are so many great character actors who remain in the shadows of the big stars.  Many of the latter can barely act at all :laugh: