• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Mrs Wiggles

Just for fun, which watch would you chose

You all know there is a twist, but all the same, what watch would you chose without knowing what the actual watch is. Both are divers, both 42mm

WATCH "A" 

Mechanical in house movement, accurate to 20 seconds a day

316L reasonably finished case

Mineral crystal window

Metal loose fitting 60 click bezel

200m WR

Stainless bracelet without divers extension

WATCH "B"

Mechanical Miyota movement, accurate to 8 seconds a day

316L beautifully finished case

Two sided anti-reflective sapphire window

Tight fitting 90 click ceramic bezel

200m WR

Stainless bracelet with divers extension

Bet you B is cheaper. 60 click bezel in A rules out Vostok I assume ?

8 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Bet you B is cheaper. 60 click bezel in A rules out Vostok I assume ?

No mineral crystal either, so not an Amphibian 

Would never go for a 60 click bezel...far to coarse. Even 90 isn't really 'cutting the mustard'. 120 click min. for me, but in this case it would be the 90 just for that alone.

1 hour ago, kanab22 said:

B if price is similar

Watch "A" is nearly three times the price of watch "B"

29 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Would never go for a 60 click bezel...far to coarse. Even 90 isn't really 'cutting the mustard'. 120 click min. for me, but in this case it would be the 90 just for that alone.

120 minimum, I have never heard of more ?

52 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

No mineral crystal either, so not an Amphibian 

No, neither are a Vostok

Is there going to be a reveal post?

Seems that the presentation of each description is designed to promote B more.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Graham60 said:

B sounds like a Parnis Diver.

Bang on. Watch "A" is an Orient Mako XL, and "B" is a Parnis diver. I love both watches, but technically the Parnis is far better, albeit many WIS's would never accept this. 

21 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

Bang on. Watch "A" is an Orient Mako XL, and "B" is a Parnis diver. I love both watches, but technically the Parnis is far better, albeit many WIS's would never accept this. 

Yeah thought is sounded like the Parnis I have, Parnis bzd 381a (Miyota 8215)

Parnis bzd 381a (Miyota 8215)

• Like 1

Sooo, Miyota specify -20 to +40 secs per day for that movement, so about the same as the Orient. And price wise the Parnis website says £129 (plus VAT if it gets caught), and Amazon has the Mako XL from £125 - £150 ish. Plus with Parnis there's always the nagging thought is it really 200m water resistant - or is that just what they've written on the front. Just received one of the other "divers" from their site which says it has a Miyota movement and it hacks - which I don't think the Miyota does.

Got a couple of Parnis watches and I know what you mean about the finishing, they are nicely done and the ceramic bezel is lovely for the money. But I'd trust the Orient more.

..also, Mako XL 120 click bezel surely?

(No axe to grind BTW, nearly bought both a couple of times. I do like the look of that Parnis)

Edited by Perlative Cernometer
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Sooo, Miyota specify -20 to +40 secs per day for that movement, so about the same as the Orient. And price wise the Parnis website says £129 (plus VAT if it gets caught), and Amazon has the Mako XL from £125 - £150 ish. Plus with Parnis there's always the nagging thought is it really 200m water resistant - or is that just what they've written on the front. Just received one of the other "divers" from their site which says it has a Miyota movement and it hacks - which I don't think the Miyota does.

Got a couple of Parnis watches and I know what you mean about the finishing, they are nicely done and the ceramic bezel is lovely for the money. But I'd trust the Orient more.

I'm like you, on longevity I would trust Orient over the Parnis, although at the moment it's working fine enough. I got mine for £77 on Ali, on the positive side it looks well made, case and dial finishing all look and feel good, got a screw down crown and it's not a light flimsy watch, quite a hefty and solid feel. Oh and this one doesn't hack, 8215 in this watch. For the price it's a decent watch, would have preferred hacking but I can live without it. The only real negative I have at the moment is it's size, would have been better as a 40mm diam for me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Graham60 said:

Yeah thought is sounded like the Parnis I have, Parnis bzd 381a (Miyota 8215)

Parnis bzd 381a (Miyota 8215)

That is the same watch as mine. I have a large collection of dive watches including a Chris Ward C60-600, and it always amazes how good this watch is for the money. I paid about £75 for mine. As much as I like the Orient, it doesn't hold a candle to this watch

3 hours ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

That is the same watch as mine. I have a large collection of dive watches including a Chris Ward C60-600, and it always amazes how good this watch is for the money. I paid about £75 for mine. As much as I like the Orient, it doesn't hold a candle to this watch

Agree it's great value for the money, I have 3 Parnis watches and I would say the same for them all.

Don't own, nor have I handled the Mako XL, so can't really comment on that one, but I do have the Mako II (As well as Ray II, Kamasu and Nano) if I had to choose I would pick the Mako II over my Parnis every day of the week, as I said in earlier post, it's smaller and fits my wrist better, has a sleeker case and profile. Mako II also has hacking and a 120 click Tight bezel.

But that's just my personal taste, as I said the Parnis is still great value for money and happy having it in my collection.:)

14 hours ago, Graham60 said:

Agree it's great value for the money, I have 3 Parnis watches and I would say the same for them all.

Don't own, nor have I handled the Mako XL, so can't really comment on that one, but I do have the Mako II (As well as Ray II, Kamasu and Nano) if I had to choose I would pick the Mako II over my Parnis every day of the week, as I said in earlier post, it's smaller and fits my wrist better, has a sleeker case and profile. Mako II also has hacking and a 120 click Tight bezel.

But that's just my personal taste, as I said the Parnis is still great value for money and happy having it in my collection.:)

Yes, the Mako II is probably a better watch. I bought the XL about 2 years ago from a collector. It is a lovely looking watch, and I paid £110. At the time they were being sold for over £200 new. The watch was gaining about 30 seconds a day, and I had to spend a lot of time regulating it to get under 15 seconds. The bracelet is noisy, the bezel rubbish, and believe that for the price it should have a sapphire window. All that said, I still love wearing it.