• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Have you ever used ...

29 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

so are cars

Nope, I pass them all in town on my bicycle that folds up and goes on the bus.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Nope, I pass them all in town on my bicycle that folds up and goes on the bus.

where too?

to meet other like minded bicycles?

• Haha 1

Once to time how much of my time was being wasted in a meeting as i forgot my phone.

Personally i think they look cool and an integral part of the design which makes a diver so appealing but other than that they have no relevance in ordinary life however my manager is a diver and he wont be without one.

Also im not convinced by lume pips as you know where 12 oclock is in relation to your arm.

Just my 2 cents

I will however add that i dont like things being there for the sake of it I don't use a but i would never own something with a fixed bezel that is there just for asthetic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yanto said:

Never used a bezel. But I do like lume. Only to look at mind you. Not for anything useful. Oooooh shiny! :yahoo:

I do use my bezels for timing things...well, that's what they're for. If I was diving, it would be warning me that my tanks were getting low. When we go shopping and we need to get back to the car before the ticket runs out, I have a handy reminder. As for lume...check these bad boys out...

Citizen 'Ecozilla' lume.

Citizen 'Orca' lume

Rolex GMT

• Like 2

10 hours ago, horologicallyChallenged said:

Also im not convinced by lume pips as you know where 12 oclock is in relation to your arm.

Lume pip became part of British standard for dive watches, also on a rotating bezel, it does not necessarily stay at 12!  I did buy a fixed bezel watch by accident once. It was very disappointing lol BUT I am stripping it back to brass for a bit of fun.

21 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

... the bezel function of your watch?  I am interested in a 60s diver on eBay, but it has no lume pip on the bezel, and I am conflicted, even though I cannot dive.

Obviously divers and pilots may use their bezel functions, but what about us?

Then I thought, have you ever been uncertain whether it was day or night, and had to check your GMT hand?  Or timed yourself on your skateboard using a tachymeter to check your speed?

When was the last time you had your telemeter watch to hand during a thunderstorm, to work out the distance to a lightning flash, or your Datejust when you needed to grate some lemon peel?

And I have never needed a compass bezel to tell me East and West are perpendicular to the North South line.

Since I've never had to make a decompression stop yet, perhaps I'll buy that diver. 

But I do like my bezels to be functional, and though I like the watch I am wearing today, the 'decorative' bezel is a pet peeve ...

When did you last need your bezel, or miss not having a lume pip?

Simple answer. I have 12 divers watches, and never used the bezel. I also have 10 chronograph watches and never used the tachymeter. The main this is they look nice. 

The reality is that most divers don't use dive watches as we know them, they use these big plastic digital things that you wouldn't actually wear anywhere else. 

Edited by Mrs Wiggles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

they use these big plastic digital things that you wouldn't actually wear anywhere else

Dive computers I expect.  I would, if I was a diver, wear a watch as backup - two is one, and one is nothing!

I use the bezel to mark how far off (cf GPS) the seconds hand is, when I need to sync time exactly and quickly. Yup, that does actually happen on a regular basis!

On 15/07/2019 at 12:37, ziggy1024 said:

I use the bezel to mark how far off (cf GPS) the seconds hand is, when I need to sync time exactly and quickly. Yup, that does actually happen on a regular basis!

For me too, never knowingly late for brew time ...

• Haha 1