• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Allthingsmustpass

WARNING!: Fake Presage Cocktail Time.

Nearly got caught out today, quick scan on ebay at Presage models, and a blue cocktail time was finishing with a few minutes to go. Quick scan of description and pics, bid, won. Before paying had another longer look and alarm bells started ringing. Something didn't look quite right in the photos, can't put my finger on it, but something. Sellers feedback 3, and all the same watch (seller is Tohrist32). Took a note of the serial number on one of his photos and compared it to photos of fake cocktail times that are sold on there by an Indian seller (yesterdaystime1989) that I've spotted before. This "gentleman" admits they are "replicas" (b*****ks I know), and the serial number 813124 was the same on all of them. Messaged seller and told him and he cancelled the sale. 

I have tried reporting these people in the past but ebay does nothing. Maybe bidding and winning and then not paying is the only way to stop or at least hinder them. So basically, look out for 813124 on the back of Seiko's. 

Edited by Allthingsmustpass
Misspell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the heads up but fake Seikos (Feiko's?) are becoming more prominent everywhere.  I had been looking for a NEMO Turtle for a few months when a friend put me onto the "Wish" website.  Obviously thye use mainly stock images but they look frighteningly real... and £55!!   

Not just those either, you name it and you can buy it... It's come to something when they are knocking out replica 7T92 chrono's! 

• Like 2

He's either sold 4 or sold this 4 times, 2 in feedback

3 Feedback received  
Revised Feedback: 0

Period: AllPast 1 monthPast 6 monthsPast 12 months
  Feedback From When
Positive feedback rating Item received as described. Very positive buying experience.  Buyer: 
s***s ( 124Teal star icon for Feedback score between 100 to 499)  
During past month
  Seiko Presage Men's Watch''Cocktail Time'' Blue Moon- Made in Japan (#372699444937) £210.00 View Item
Positive feedback rating Thanks for the fast service.the watch is beautiful. 5 * Buyer: 
s***t ( 719Purple star icon for Feedback score between 500 to 999)  
During past 6 months
  Seiko Presage Men's Watch SRPB41J1''Cocktail Time'' Blue Moon- Made in Japan (#372687459789) £215.00 View Item
Edited by Thomasr
  • Thanks 1

ive seen quiet a few dodgy looking seikos on the bay, especially quartz chronos, with case backs that look lightly laser etched or stampings that look very poor even some that look quiet well worn, but no way looked right. 

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

ive seen quiet a few dodgy looking seikos on the bay, especially quartz chronos, with case backs that look lightly laser etched or stampings that look very poor even some that look quiet well worn, but no way looked right. 

this is the era of "fake everything".      there were some good running fakes (wind up)  vintage fakes.    what can you do?    vin

12 minutes ago, vinn said:

this is the era of "fake everything".      there were some good running fakes (wind up)  vintage fakes.    what can you do?    vin

just keep your eye ;-)

3 hours ago, kevkojak said:

Cheers for the heads up but fake Seikos (Feiko's?) are becoming more prominent everywhere.  I had been looking for a NEMO Turtle for a few months when a friend put me onto the "Wish" website.  Obviously thye use mainly stock images but they look frighteningly real... and £55!!   

Not just those either, you name it and you can buy it... It's come to something when they are knocking out replica 7T92 chrono's! 

The what I assume are Wish nemos do come up on ebay, but the sellers actual photos show them to be fakes, flat orange dial instead of sunburst, cut outs in the underside of the endlinks for pin removal, poor text on the caseback, if I remember correctly no cyclops etc etc. But still, someone who just wants one and isn't very clued up will easily come a cropper. The cocktail time I looked at was frighteningly good, just some sixth sense rang the alarm bells luckily. 

1 hour ago, vinn said:

All we can do is warn each other when something is spotted, and possibly bid on them until won, then point out to them they are fake and why, and get the order cancelled. Cause maximum aggro. If they are someone who is just reselling fakes bought from sites like Wish for a quick buck they will just move on to fake handbags or whatever and leave us alone. 

I think that this subject of the faking of ever cheaper watches has come up before and it would seem to be a clever tactic on the part of the fakers. By producing fakes of less exclusive but still desirable brands, the fakers avoid the sort of scrutiny that well-known luxury brands are subject to by potential purchasers. Mind you, I have even seen what I would call fakes of inexpensive watch brands - Megir watches, for example, have been dogged by similar looking watches with an almost identical brand name.

• Like 1

There was a "batch" of dodgy Orients on eBay last week that vanished pronto. So some reporting seem a to work.

18 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I think that this subject of the faking of ever cheaper watches has come up before and it would seem to be a clever tactic on the part of the fakers. By producing fakes of less exclusive but still desirable brands, the fakers avoid the sort of scrutiny that well-known luxury brands are subject to by potential purchasers. Mind you, I have even seen what I would call fakes of inexpensive watch brands - Megir watches, for example, have been dogged by similar looking watches with an almost identical brand name.

Indeed. Regularly on forums I read "why fake Seiko's?". Profit is the same as a fake Rolex without the same level of scrutiny. But the difference is that people who spend £200 on a Rolex know they are buying a fake for whatever sad reasons they do that (doesn't make it right but there we are), and people who spend £200 on a £300 Seiko assume they are buying the real thing and are being swindled. 

• Like 1