• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

It's really annoying when (insert your watch based disasters)

... a brand new watch flings itself off the mantle shelf in the dead of night, smashes an ornament, and one of the indices comes off and is rattling around the dial.

• Sad 1

you handle a watch in your hands and you drop it. (and sometimes things come apart) :taz:

• Sad 1

your new watch makes it all the way from Hong Kong in one piece only for you to put the watch on and decide the bin  needs to go out without taking it off and scratch the bezel and glass on a brick wall as your arm gets trapped between the bin and the wall! :angry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The worst watch disasters I have had are the result of foolish tinkering, thinking I can do such jobs as replacing the battery in digital watches or removing the movement in a watch to clean the underside of the crystal... :laugh:

• Like 3

I once sent a watch to Ukraine for a "Vodka" service. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

Perhaps your poltergeist does like your new purchase??? :laugh:

I squished it back on the display stand to get the centre of gravity back behind the front of the stand. The leather band is quite stiff, so I suspect it gradually un-squished itself causing everything to go pear shaped.

15 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

The worst watch disasters I have had are the result of foolish tinkering, thinking I can do such jobs as replacing the battery in digital watches or removing the movement in a watch to clean the underside of the crystal... :laugh:

I epitomise foolish tinkering - tried to remove a movement from a watch without noticing that the dial (and crystal) are larger than the case back. It is evidently a front loader.   'Luckily' it came out far enough to dislodge all the hands which are now swimming around behind a crystal I can't get off.  I have tried blowing it off, but the back blew off instead.  Cue Michael Caine.  It was the watch I had set aside to practice on, fortunately.   Failed!

22 minutes ago, no8yogi said:

your new watch makes it all the way from Hong Kong in one piece only for you to put the watch on and decide the bin  needs to go out without taking it off and scratch the bezel and glass on a brick wall as your arm gets trapped between the bin and the wall! :angry:

I share your pain.

53 minutes ago, gimli said:

you handle a watch in your hands and you drop it. (and sometimes things come apart) :taz:

When you fumble it as you remove it from the packaging ...  I always unpack over a deep pile rug these days.  Hopefully then it doesn't come apart when you drop it; but if it does disintegrate on impact, good luck finding the bits!

16 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I once sent a watch to Ukraine for a "Vodka" service. 

Is that where they bathe it in alcohol?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Is that where they bathe it in alcohol?

I think it got breathed on. Still, the watch had a nice holiday for the return postal cost.

• Haha 1

when you buy from germany and the watch tracking from deutche post stops at Manchester airport where some thieving scumbag nicks it.

:cursed:

• Sad 3

...you try to get the back off a watch with a knife...the knife slips...your left hand stops the knife... :wacko:  Blood.  Much blood.  Surprisingly no pain.  A trip to minor injuries, trying not to drip all over the steering wheel, driver's seat, gear lever...  repairs made...:doctor: Left index finger takes three months to return to full function (no smutty comments please :whistling:).

Lesson learned; only attempt to open screw backs or screw-down backs.  Throw in the trash anything with a snap-on back.  Much better.  :yes::laugh:

• Like 2

the seconds hand falls off a vintage watch, you were bought for christmas and took a sneaky peak of a few weeks before and no way can you get it fixed and its your own fault. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

the knife slips

I could put that in quite a lot of anecdotes!

When you buy a kickstarter expecting it to arrive in a few days and the auto reply says they are on holiday enjoying some family time and it will be 3 weeks before it ships ...

p.s. I stuck my numeral back on with some UV cured crystal adhesive

p.p.s. the crown stem can only be released from a Ronda 6203.b movement when the crown is in position 1

You spend several hours taking watch pics only to find there's a fingerprint on the crystal, the bezel isn't lined up properly or there's a strange light flare mysteriously appeared. This usually happens when you've put all the photography gear away, and you're left with the dilemma....'Can I be bothered to set it all up again, or just leave it as it is?'

• Like 2

I took the back off an old quartz Seiko to replace the battery. Found a load of crud around the lugs, took the movement out and thoroughly cleaned the case. So far, so good. Except the stem wouldn't latch when I put the crown back.

Several YouTube videos later, I snapped the sweep second hand while trying to put it back.

Somewhere in my carpet there is a tribe of tiny chronograph hands and an entire set of screws from a 7t32 back plate.

Trying to stop tinkering.

Oh, and while inspecting another quartz movement, the stuck-on Seiko badge fell off the dial. I very carefully replaced it using a smear of super glue. It wasn't until I took a photo I noticed the logo is upside down. Everything looks right except the S.

Edited by spinynorman
  • Haha 1

I killed a super rare G-Shock a few years back because I thought I could change the battery. I know now I am way to impatient to go 'under the hood' of even the simplest of watches. Strap changes are about my limit.

Although not a disaster, I recently watched a very nice Maurice Lacroix Pontos on Ebay for a week or so, and could've bagged it for circa £250 (it sold for £225 to my amazement). I missed out due to being at my niece's 4th birthday party on a Saturday afternoon. No birthday present for her next year :teethsmile:

• Haha 1

I was attempting to get the back off of a watch and the knife slipped, stabbing my wife through the heart and killing her. At the same time I dropped the watch and it broke. God, I really miss that watch