• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Kasper

Can you solve the problem - Citizen?

Helloo!

So i found an old Citizen Chronograph titanium wr100 which belong to my father. I took it to watch store to get the battery changed. He said that the watch hasn't been used in 15 to 20 years because the battery that wasn't supposed to leak had leaked. Despite trying to put in new battery we got no response. The watch has 3 small dials and the regular dial and day number. 

The watch store guy said that to change new movement for the watch would cost 250$. Does it really cost that much and is there any way to get it cheaper? Where can i get the new movement? Am i able to change it myself (i have some experience but am newbie)? 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182760756@N05/48329531482/in/dateposted-public/

$250 does seem a bit steep for a replacement movement.

I was once quoted £60 to replace a battery which cost me 50P to do myself.

If you list the calibre and caseback numbers (normally in the form of 4 digits followed by 7 digits) here someone more knowladgable may be able to help.

Good luck.

Okay after a while of googling with the serial number i found a pdf and other links. So the first 4 letters is the movement and this watch uses 3s10 (3510) miyota (citizen?). And found some cheaper and some more expensive watches using this. From 50 to 200$

17 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Okay after a while of googling with the serial number i found a pdf and other links. So the first 4 letters is the movement and this watch uses 3s10 (3510) miyota (citizen?). And found some cheaper and some more expensive watches using this. From 50 to 200$

It's a shame it's not working, it's an attractive watch.

The Citizen is 3510, the Miyota 3s10. You could search on Ebay for working movements or try a parts supplier like Esslinger.com. Alternatively, find a cheap beat up donor watch with a working movement. 

My experience of working on quartz old chronograph movements is there's a lot that can go wrong, from the stem not relatching to hands not reseating, getting broken or lost. I've given up with it. A lot of watch repairers won't touch them either. It's really a matter of how much you value the watch - for sentimental reasons as much as money - whether it's worth the cost. You might be better off selling it on ebay as spares/repairs. 

Did the chap have a go at scraping the contacts for the cell with a small screwdriver?, It sometimes works as they can become encrusted with the alkaline solution and oxides to reduce conductivity :(

John :thumbsup: