• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Service Engineer

Seiko 7T62 0LD0 module.

Hi Simon,

I recently put, at her request, my daughters Seiko Chronograph 100M 7T62 0LD0 watch into a well known high street jewellers for a battery to be fitted. Long story short, the money was refunded and the watch returned with numerous faults it didn't previously have. One of the most puzzling is that the hour hand and the minute hand no longer synchronise. When the hour hand points directly at an hour marker the minute hand is pointing at the six o'clock marker. When the minute hand is pointing at the twelve o'clock marker the hour hand points halfwsy between two of the hour markers !

Can you advise if the minute hand is somehow independantly adjustable using button press combinations or, as I suspect, have one of the hands been physically moved by the movement being removed and carelessly handled during the battery change.

The shop claimed initially the faults were due to rust which then got changed to a "faulty module".

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris.

38 minutes ago, Service Engineer said:

Hi Simon,

I recently put, at her request, my daughters Seiko Chronograph 100M 7T62 0LD0 watch into a well known high street jewellers for a battery to be fitted. Long story short, the money was refunded and the watch returned with numerous faults it didn't previously have. One of the most puzzling is that the hour hand and the minute hand no longer synchronise. When the hour hand points directly at an hour marker the minute hand is pointing at the six o'clock marker. When the minute hand is pointing at the twelve o'clock marker the hour hand points halfwsy between two of the hour markers !

Can you advise if the minute hand is somehow independantly adjustable using button press combinations or, as I suspect, have one of the hands been physically moved by the movement being removed and carelessly handled during the battery change.

The shop claimed initially the faults were due to rust which then got changed to a "faulty module".

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris.

https://www.seiko.in/support/ib/pdf/SEIKO_7T62.pdf here is a link to the manual pdf section 3 is the bit that says about resetting the hands , hope that helps :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Service Engineer said:

Are the hands like this Pulsar 7T62 I had? If so, the only way I could find to fix them is to take the movement out. However, that didn't end well, I eventually sold the watch for scrap.

DSC_9220

Edited by spinynorman

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to send me this information. I have read and reread it several times but I don't see that there is any way to set the normal hour and minute hands independantly to each other.

Setting the hour hand to say 3 o'clock dead on should bring the minute hand to be pointing directly up at the 12 o'clock position where it should always be pointing at exact one hour intervals. 1 o'clock, 2 o'cloct etc.

The minute hand on her watch points to the six when the hour hand points to the hour marker. The hour hand says it's 'something o'clock' but the minute hand says it's 'half past'.

It's as if the minute hand has been moved 180 degrees out of synch.

Unfortunately I can't post a picture which would show the problem she has much better than I'm describing it.

Chris.

Hi Spiny,

Yes that's very similar only her hands are even worse. I'm guessing the technician in the shop took the movement out to replace the battery and held it in his hand while he hammered the new battery in !

Simon 2,

Yes it's running but unreliably. It stops and starts intermittently since the battery was replaced. The store that my daughter wanted to replace the failing battery (to get their 10 year battery warranty) informed me initially there was rust present causing the problems that occured immediately after they'd worked on it but later changed that diagnosis to a faulty module. £140 for a replacement module. Prior to the stores attention the hour and minute hands synchronised perfectly.

Five years ago when it was bought I think it only cost about £200 but it has sentimental value as it was a graduation present.

What sort of cost do you think would likely be involved in getting it checked out and the hands reset ?

Chris

Success, the Forums proven No 1 watch expert has very kindly agreed to look at my daughters watch for me. I'll post the findings as and when. In the meantime thank you all for the suggestions and interest that's been shown.

Chris.

• Like 2

On 28/07/2019 at 21:40, Service Engineer said:

Simon 2,

Yes it's running but unreliably. It stops and starts intermittently since the battery was replaced. The store that my daughter wanted to replace the failing battery (to get their 10 year battery warranty) informed me initially there was rust present causing the problems that occured immediately after they'd worked on it but later changed that diagnosis to a faulty module. £140 for a replacement module. Prior to the stores attention the hour and minute hands synchronised perfectly.

Five years ago when it was bought I think it only cost about £200 but it has sentimental value as it was a graduation present.

What sort of cost do you think would likely be involved in getting it checked out and the hands reset ?

Chris

Chris, as you suspected there is no way to alter the hands on this model other than remove the movement from the case and physically move them. The only way for the hour and minute hand to be out of sync is if the "watchmaker" (I suspect Timpsons or Debenhams given the mention of a ten year guarantee?) have removed the entire movement to change the battery.  That is simply unnecessary - it's the easiest job in the world to take the back off, clean, remove the battery, insert a new one and seal the watch back up again... it's a ten minute job even for a watch bodger from one of the above establishments. 

My guess; they have taken out the movement (either intentionally or, more likely, accidentally by dropping it), placed it face down on a hard surface and changed the battery with pressure on the hands.

This ten year warranty stuff is all well and good, but only if you've got someone proficient and reliable to carry out the battery change.  I dread to think how much they charge, I offer a new battery for a fiver or a "battery for life" for a tenner. Find a decent local independent if you can Chris it'll save you money in the long run. 

Hi Kev,

You've confirmed my suspicions. I suspect the movement was taken out to 'make the job easier'. The funniest part of the whole experience was when I took it back to F.Hinds (jewellers and watch bodgers) and showed one of their assistants and a manager the out of synch hands. The manager initially couldn't see the problem. There I was in a shop full of people explaining to this guy how to tell the time. "When the little hand is on the hour, the big hand . . . . " Eventually he caught on and made an executive decision, to send the watch to their main workshop in Uxbridge. Two weeks later we were contacted and given three different reasons why the watch wasn't working. Rust, a faulty module and maybe faulty battery connections. Regardless of which one I chose to go with their suggestion was a new movement for £140 plus labour. I declined their generous offer and brought the watch awsy after getting my initial £10 battery warranty charge refunded.

The watch is now going to be checked by someone who has carried out excellent work for me in the past.

Thank you for taking the time to add your suspicions.

Chris.