• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JonnyOldBoy

Why your Grail watch may not be....

Just had a fascinating chat with an old friend of mine who is involved with an independent jewellery shop that has a few decades experience in selling new and pre-owned watches.

We got chatting about "grail" watches and it was interesting to hear it from a dealers perspective. So it does seem that the concept is broadly alive outside of the WIS world with buyer saving/waiting years sometimes for the "appropriate" moment to buy the watch. From this dealer , the most "Successful" Grail watches are Omega Planet Oceans, Rolex DateJusts, Breitling Navitimer and TAG Carrera.

Amongst the often "unsuccessful" Grail watches ( ie those that fairly soon were brought back and traded back in or sold elsewhere and the customer buys another choice ) are :

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, Rolex Submariner, Breitling Chronomat and Longines Heritage Diver

Obviously this is just one dealers experience and its nothing more than an anecdotal example, but I did find these lists kinda making logical sense really. 

Has anyone here bought their "grail" watch only to realise afterwards that it was "not for them" ?

I thought for a decade that a Breilting Navitmer was my Grail and was a twitch away from buying one a few years back but didn't... But that was me sailing close to the wind on this....

• Like 3

Funny enough no. 

I always wanted a complicated watch that encompassed a chronograph, triple date and moon phase plus a good quality in house automatic movement. Took me years until one day I saw this in Fraser Harts window at a special offer price and the rest is history. 

IMG_20190715_232040.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, mine would be a Russian 'Urofa' Chrono, but not for wearing.  As an everyday it would be the Carrera with the Zenith movt. so that's ok, but I would have to sell all my other watches first.  Which won't happen because I can't even bring myself to sell my 'fashion' watches, never mind my long sought numbers!  

• Like 2

to be honest i think my grail would be a vintage Navitimer or toptime of some sort, and the latter are fairly affordable sub 1500 quid often, ive had what i thought might be my grail like longines lld and tudor oyster date which is near enough the dj for me, but soon got bored. One was too big and the other too small and crappy feeling, i find the less i pay, the more impressed i am. like the Mappin I bought which is a dream boat in looks and only cost a fraction of the lld and tudor. The more i pay the more i expect and the crapper they end up feeling when they dont live up. Though this wouldnt transcend into being impressed by an Alpha and not by a Rolex, though it might well.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

The more i pay the more i expect and the crapper they end up feeling when they dont live up.

This is what stops me even aspiring to a grail watch. I look at the prices of typical grails and wonder if I'd really be that much happier with one of those. My conclusion so far is I wouldn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

This is what stops me even aspiring to a grail watch. I look at the prices of typical grails and wonder if I'd really be that much happier with one of those. My conclusion so far is I wouldn't.

i can corroborate that with experience, i just end up feeling short changed and like im having the piss taken out of me when ive paid over a grand for a watch. Its probably just me as they are better but i just cant see so much money in them so i end up feeling riled i think its just the fact they arent worth what is being charged. A lovely old swiss mechanical can be had for 50 quid and it feels quality, i cant see thousands in any watch. 

You can get a car which makes more sense to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jersey1965 said:

This is my grail watchlarge.58c5d470485f4_UlysseNardinMaxiMarineChronometer43MMPhotoGallery(Ulysse___.jpg.b2a16847565133008a6acb13f91bcddd.jpg

Looks "Captain-Nemo-Esque" ... splendid choice my fine fellow.....:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

i can corroborate that with experience, i just end up feeling short changed and like im having the piss taken out of me when ive paid over a grand for a watch. Its probably just me as they are better but i just cant see so much money in them so i end up feeling riled i think its just the fact they arent worth what is being charged. A lovely old swiss mechanical can be had for 50 quid and it feels quality, i cant see thousands in any watch. 

You can get a car which makes more sense to me. 

Do it right and they'll be free. 

Given LV prices if I sold it tomorrow I'll have worn a Rolex of sorts for 20 odd years for nowt and still have some change for a few months sat in the sun. 

Back to the topic, the only sort off expensive one that was a bit of a let down was a PO. I wanted one since they first appeared and eventually got one but I think I only wore it a handful of times and was a bit disappointed so sold it. 

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jersey1965 said:

This is my grail watchlarge.58c5d470485f4_UlysseNardinMaxiMarineChronometer43MMPhotoGallery(Ulysse___.jpg.b2a16847565133008a6acb13f91bcddd.jpg

Wonderful. One of my favourite brands. I love their offerings and have on a few occasions considered selling 2/3 of my better pieces to buy one. I have had a lower version of this watch on my wrists a few times! 

5a71bfbdc160db4aa3c1d99fb93646af8c47b6f3

The only grail I have actually bought was a PO and it was before I joined the wonderful WIS World. It was the retirement present I promised to myself back in 2013.

IMG-0077.jpg

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think he’s partly correct. From a personal perspective I bought my Submariner about 8 years ago. Thought it was my grail. Right now my choice would be an Explorer. But I’d say that that would be because my tastes have changed 

• Like 1

got mine too to and to some it may be nothing special but a daily wearer but to me was a big investment ( Explorer II 216570 ) , but I could not be happier , certainly no let down , feels special to me when every I wear it which is not that often cause its special and I want to keep it that way . mind there are four or five others that run it a close race , at this moment in time there is only one I covert that may give it a run for its money but that looks like it wont happen anytime soon due to its limited production run ( a GS)

deano

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jersey1965 said:

Hello Sailor!

If I was going one watch I would get this case fixed up to some decent WR and a touch up on the dial printing '17' and voila, clean as you like, 70's Unitas -putting more expensive watches to shame on timekeeping. If only it had a quick-set date...

IMG_20190730_190348832(1).thumb.jpg.08842d06e204f17b77cc90246fe71cba.jpg

IMG_20190730_192119467(1).thumb.jpg.bc92089a7becbb0106569802f7b704d3.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Hello Sailor!

Probably  :)

I’m sure many mariners are grateful to Ulysse Nardin for his highly accurate timepieces, particularly marine chronometers.

If there is a trademark (anchor) synonymous with a brands heritage then this is most definitely one of them.

Since 1846 over 6000 certificates & prizes, plus 10 gold medals, have been awarded to UN at International exhibitions.

A connoisseurs choice, IMO

:biggrin:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

No more grails for me...my watch buying days are now over...just sold 6 off this week, and a few more to go yet.

I suspect there may be one more watch though on the horizon... I am not a mystic ... but I just think you may assess the situation and seek out that last "one" .... I may be wrong of course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Do it right and they'll be free. 

Given LV prices if I sold it tomorrow I'll have worn a Rolex of sorts for 20 odd years for nowt and still have some change for a few months sat in the sun. 

Back to the topic, the only sort off expensive one that was a bit of a let down was a PO. I wanted one since they first appeared and eventually got one but I think I only wore it a handful of times and was a bit disappointed so sold it. 

i knew you'd say that mate and good luck to you i hope you can get one over on someone its nice to see an ordinary bloke like me getting a good profit on somet instead of being ripped off by the shops etc, you go for it and good luck to you lad. 

Hope it buys you a nice 911. 

4 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Looks "Captain-Nemo-Esque" ... splendid choice my fine fellow.....:thumbsup:

its bloody horrible

• Haha 1

Hmmm, I don’t have a grail watch. Perhaps there is something wrong with me.

Having said that, I get infatuated with certain watches, buy them and then usually flip them so I guess similar just at a lower level.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I suspect there may be one more watch though on the horizon... I am not a mystic ... but I just think you may assess the situation and seek out that last "one" .... I may be wrong of course.

Jonny, the few that I have left are more than enough. The last few months of retirement have shown me that I no longer need to be aware of time...hence most days, I don't even wear a watch for more than a few minutes, because they irritate me. Hence, I won't be buying any more, but seeking to sell all but a couple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

No more grails for me...my watch buying days are now over...just sold 6 off this week, and a few more to go yet.

you've tried that one before rog, avoided everyone left the forum left fb then it came back even harder lol and look where you are a few years later. 

a mod 

:tumbleweed:

3 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Jonny, the few that I have left are more than enough. The last few months of retirement have shown me that I no longer need to be aware of time...hence most days, I don't even wear a watch for more than a few minutes, because they irritate me. Hence, I won't be buying any more, but seeking to sell all but a couple.

its not about time and they irritate my wrist too, but you will still ache to put a new one on at some point.  

nothing feels like that slick of new cold steel rog and you know it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1