• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Steve D UK

First single, first LP.

For all those of a certain age, what was the first single and the first LP that you bought? 

My first single was Jeepster by T Rex

On the strength of that I bought my first LP, Electric Warrior, also by T Rex

How about you? 

Edited by Steve D UK
  • Like 3

Never bought singles, but my first album was Deep Purple "Made in Japan".  A brilliant live album, and still sounds great today.  After that I only bought Deep Purple records until I had them all, and then branched out into LP's from other heavy metal bands :laugh:

• Like 2

I remember my first Album was "now that's what I call music 1 " I think I still have it somewhere up in the loft , as for singles I did not buy them 

• Like 2

First Single; Slade "Coz I Luv You" 1971 I think, couldn't afford albums then in 1971, pocket money only went so far.

First Album; Roxy Music "For Your Pleasure" 1973 still got it somewhere, might be at my mother's house along with all the other old vinyl LPs

• Like 2

Telstar....instrumental from Woolworths.....the real deal was 7/6 but Woolies did their homage version for 4/11....the single

LP was South Pacific......parents choice!.

• Like 2

Firtst album, Down by the Jetty I think.

Wilko changed my life forever.

870586607a8a9f04cd4fa7303e1fa528.jpg

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve D UK said:

For all those of a certain age, what was the first single and the first LP that you bought? 

My first single was Jeepster by T Rex

On the strength of that I bought my first LP, Electric Warrior, also by T Rex

How about you? 

Snap! plus I still have it. First single I can remember buying was David Bowies Jean Genie  which I don't have, wish I did.large.IMG_20190731_210558812.jpg.827d1dee7c713c2fe5e845ade7dbc0aa.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pete wilding said:

Fireball.......Deep purple......I think,‘‘twas a long time ago

Haha. I remember that one. My dad threatened that he would smash it up if I bought that record. I didn’t chance it! 

First single might have been "Nut Rocker" by B Bumble and the Stingers. Also had "Telstar" by The Tornados and the "Wonderful Land" EP by The Shadows. All from 1962.

First LP was probably a "Ready Steady Go!" compilation, spun off the TV show. I can see versions for sale online, but I don't recognise the cover or many of the tracks. I'm sure it had "Come On" by the Rolling Stones, "Just Like Eddie" by Heinz ... after that it gets hazy. It was a long time ago.

• Like 2

First single was 'Every Breath you Take' by The Police.  This was before the term 'stalking' was coined.  Now it sounds disturbing

First album was 'Seven and the Ragged Tiger' by Duran Duran, containing The Reflex, New Moon on Monday and Is there something I should know.

Image result for Duran Duran Seven and the Ragged Tiger

First CD was Blood Sugar Sex Magic by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

still love this song and album

Can't remember my first download

• Like 1

First single was “Snoopy versus the Red Baron” by the Hotshots (1973)

album was Slade, I think it was Slade in flame from the movie of the same name. (1974)

• Like 2

First single I ever bought was 'Popcorn' by Hot Butter, which I bought at the same time as 'The Well Tempered Synthesiser' LP (which I mentioned further up the page) by then Walter, but now Wendy Carlos. This was at the start of the Moog synthesier era, which shaped electronic music ever since.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

First single I ever bought was 'Popcorn' by Hot Butter, which I bought at the same time as 'The Well Temoered Synthesiser' LP (which I mentioned further up the page) by then Walter, but now Wendy Carlos. This was at the start of the Moog synthesier era, which shaped electronic music ever since.

Keith Emerson in particular, of ELP, collaborated closely with Dr. Bob Moog in the development of various Moog synthesizer modules and Carl Palmer (still performing) developed the first synthesized drum kit, not bad for 1973.Some of the collaborations are now in museums!

This is a bit different to Popcorn!

• Like 1

1st single  "Mouldy old dough" Lieutenant Pigeon

1st lp David Bowie the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars

On 31/07/2019 at 22:39, Steve D UK said:

Haha. I remember that one. My dad threatened that he would smash it up if I bought that record. I didn’t chance it! 

Yeah......my parents were not impressed either,Dad liked Glenn Miller ,mum liked Jim Reeves so a bit of a shock:sign_wtf:

Common theme in my purchases. :laughing2dw:

Single - Slade - Mama weer all crazee now - 1972

LP - Slade - Slayed - 1972

Still have them, stored in the loft, but recently purchased a Steepletone 7 in 1 music centre with record player so they will have to dig them out again.

Bought it off my mate only it was his sisters.

I've still got it.

First LP was probably one of those MFP things from Woolworths 

First Single....The Animals House of the rising Sun which I played endlessly on a jukebox at Wootton beach Café on the Isle of Wight, then spent most of my holiday spending pocket money on the single around  1964/5 maybe..... the thrill of going into a proper record shop buying my very first single is something that I will never forget.

First Album...Rolling Stones,,Beggar's Banquet.

Still got both along with several hundred Vinyl Albums countless singles all original and still being well used