• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Steveibiza

Odd problem with my Accurist

My old Accurist keeps really good time, but suddenly loses 30 min. Always 3o min then keeps good time again. 

Any ideas?

I'm trying to post a photo, but it doesn't seem to work.

Have you checked to see whether it loses those 30 minutes at the exact time ?

And how does it lose time ? 30 minutes straight or slowly over 24 hours ?

https://postimages.org/

Edited by gimli
  • Like 1

Sometimes overnight on the table, sometimes when I'm wearing it in the evening. It's odd that it always 30 min, then it stays 30 off for hours.

CM190731-170744005

CM190731-170744005

CM190731-170657003

you need to fully wind it and see if it happens at a certain length of time after being wound - perhaps as the watch is running down?

• Thanks 1

Probably this happens because the cannon pinion is too loose. This way the watch may work all the time, but the hands may stay some time on place, especially when the date is to be changed. Usually this happens after long date adjustment, by turning hands by crown many days ahead to reach correct date…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've just realised that it starts to lose time at around 22.45 just as the date starts to move. Once it gets past a certain point moving the date wheel,  it goes back to keeping good time. I guess it needs a clean.

CM190731-170744005

CM190731-170657003

• Like 1

On 02/08/2019 at 07:30, nevenbekriev said:

Probably this happens because the cannon pinion is too loose. This way the watch may work all the time, but the hands may stay some time on place, especially when the date is to be changed. Usually this happens after long date adjustment, by turning hands by crown many days ahead to reach correct date…

Thank you, that sounds right, I bought it from Ebay and the date was about 20 days off. Is that something that can be fixed or does it need replacing? If it's not possible I can just reset it every night. 

3 hours ago, Steveibiza said:

Thank you, that sounds right, I bought it from Ebay and the date was about 20 days off. Is that something that can be fixed or does it need replacing? If it's not possible I can just reset it every night. 

No, it doesn`t need any replacing. When the time is adjusted, one should feel some resonable resistence...The cannon pinion is like a clutch, when You adjust time it slips ower the center wheel axis. When it is loose, it needs to be tighten a litle. This is usually made by gentle  pressing on the old mark with nail clipper. First You need to take off the cannon pinion. To avoid tightening it too much, they put inside some steel wire, or for example, a broach... Well, it is verry easy to break a cannon pinion, if there is no enough experience, so first You need to try on some movement that is only for training...Or You leave this to someone who has done it many times before...

• Thanks 1