• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Francis Urquhart

Using a microwave to cure a smelly leather strap

After reading a tip about putting watch straps in the freezer overnight to kill the bacteria that cause an unpleasant odour, particularly in these warm and humid days, I thought a blast in the microwave might be effective.

It wasn't a success by any means.  And I had to clean the glue off the microwave.  Bugger.  Time for a new strap.

IMG-20190721-2318370.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

7 minutes ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Yes, I did. 

Umm.....   maybe something to stabilise the glue then, perhaps soak the strap in egg white first, pretty sure that would work.

• Haha 1

Microwaves cook by boiling water molecules from with in so unless your watch strap is desiccated then its always going to perish.

Just pop into the hairdressers and ask if they would mind popping it in their steriliser..... perhaps while you are there...... grab a marine issue or DA ... :laugh:

Always thought the best method was to fry them with bacon and eggs in the morning.  Always gets rid of the unpleasant smell and watch strap smells of an English breakfast 

just be sure not to confuse your watch strap with a strip of bacon unless it’s a NATO strap.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

After reading a tip about putting watch straps in the freezer overnight to kill the bacteria that cause an unpleasant odour, particularly in these warm and humid days, I thought a blast in the microwave might be effective.

It wasn't a success by any means.  And I had to clean the glue off the microwave.  Bugger.  Time for a new strap.

IMG-20190721-2318370.jpg 

At one time or another we have all done it

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

Correct 

Ruined a perfectly good pair of Armani jeans trying to dry them in a microwave. 

And the microwave never worked again 

Don't ask 

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Ruined a perfectly good pair of Armani jeans trying to dry them in a microwave. 

And never worked again 

Don't ask 

How the he*l did you fit BigM in the microwave ?

:tongue:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Karrusel said:

How the he*l did you fit BigM in the microwave ?

:tongue:

I have lived on my own now and then in between lady friends 

Never very successfully I might add. 

I could tell you about the combi washer dryer I set on fire and more clothes ruined. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I could tell you about the combi washer dryer I set on fire and more clothes ruined. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

:rolleyes:

I’m prone to the occasional faux pas, sadly. :(

Suggest your defence will be similar to mine now...

That date on our birth certificate. :yes:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

It wasn't a success by any means.

That ranks with a work colleague who attempted to make tea in the hotel bedroom's coffee maker. By emptying the contents of a teabag into the place the coffee pod should go.

• Haha 1

I once put a dried out leather strap in boiling leather oil. It came out like a shrivelled dead worm. :laughing2dw:

@Francis Urquhart "Using a microwave to cure a smelly leather strap"

I suppose you did "cure" it, in the same way one would cure bacon. :laughing2dw:

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

… I suppose you did "cure" it, in the same way one would cure bacon:laughing2dw:

To be fair, the smell of slightly stale sweat did go.  Or at least was outweighed by the smell of burnt plastic. 

Has anyone tried the freezer trick with more success?  Less likely to lead to catastrophic failure, I should think.  Although I find it hard to see how it would kill the bacteria either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Has anyone tried the freezer trick with more success?  Less likely to lead to catastrophic failure, I should think.  Although I find it hard to see how it would kill the bacteria either. 

This applies to food:

Freezing does not kill germs and bacteria. Instead, it essentially puts them into hibernation. They are inactive while the food is frozen and will “wake up” as soon as the food thaws. And as the food thaws, so will the moisture, which means the bacteria will have the moisture it needs to survive.

11 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

To be fair, the smell of slightly stale sweat did go.  Or at least was outweighed by the smell of burnt plastic. 

It won't kill the bacteria.

Just pop into your local barbers or hairstylists and ask if you can pop it in their UV steriliser. Job done in a few minutes ... Just make sure its a UV steriliser and not a steam one obviously ..... :thumbsup:

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

Not in this household, the microwave is & has only ever been, used for cooking/heating up food or drinks.  Would you use a hammer for stirring porridge? :huh: :tongue: 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

Would you use a hammer for stirring porridge? 

I've used a 13mm combination spanner, and the leg of my spectacles to stir my tea, so I dare say using the shaft of a ball pein hammer wouldn't be too different to using a spurtle.

Spurtle-2-682x1024.jpg

4b022bd1-0fec-4f7c-b260-684f5e6cb7ee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You didn't mention which watch it came off...would a bracelet be a better option? At least you can clean them in a cheap ultrasonic machine without fear of a catastrophic melt down....:thumbsup:

• Like 1