• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
How1

Hamilton Khaki Field Question

Hi, I've been looking at the above watch as a belated 40th birthday present (for me) from my other half. I have a couple of field style watches already - a Seiko automatic SNZG15J and a Citizen BM8180 but was thinking of getting something with possibly a bit more longevity given that it's a gift - something I can keep and possibly pass down the line. I'm guessing the mechanical Hamilton would fit the bill, but I'm a bit worried about the 50m waterproofing amongst other things. How good is it for every day practicality (not swimming etc, just rain/outdoor use)? Also, I'm wondering about the overall quality of Hamiltons and their lifespan; is it unrealistic to expect a watch in this price range to outlast me?! I'm not completely sold on the brand, but like smaller watches and am struggling with an apparent lack of choice.

Thanks for any help given, much appreciated.

49 minutes ago, How1 said:

Hi, I've been looking at the above watch as a belated 40th birthday present (for me) from my other half. I have a couple of field style watches already - a Seiko automatic SNZG15J and a Citizen BM8180 but was thinking of getting something with possibly a bit more longevity given that it's a gift - something I can keep and possibly pass down the line. I'm guessing the mechanical Hamilton would fit the bill, but I'm a bit worried about the 50m waterproofing amongst other things. How good is it for every day practicality (not swimming etc, just rain/outdoor use)? Also, I'm wondering about the overall quality of Hamiltons and their lifespan; is it unrealistic to expect a watch in this price range to outlast me?! I'm not completely sold on the brand, but like smaller watches and am struggling with an apparent lack of choice.

The watch in question is well made and great value. You won't hear much negativity on this forum about it. Personally if I were you I would also be considering something like the Longines Conquest Auto 39mm , the current version is really well designed and its a real "lifetime" piece. With 20% discount it can be found for about £620-ish..... So more expensive than the Hamilton but a good alternative to compare plus it has 200m watch resistance.

10 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

The watch in question is well made and great value. You won't hear much negativity on this forum about it. Personally if I were you I would also be considering something like the Longines Conquest Auto 39mm , the current version is really well designed and its a real "lifetime" piece. With 20% discount it can be found for about £620-ish..... So more expensive than the Hamilton but a good alternative to compare plus it has 200m watch resistance.

Ah thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look for it - it sounds exactly what I'm after. It's also good to know the Hamiltons are considered to be good too. I like the military heritage with the Hamilton's but it wouldn't be enough on its own to make me buy one.

11 hours ago, How1 said:

The Hamilton's are good, well finished and durable. I've had three, kept one. The automatics have the industry standard ETA 2824 movement. I wore my auto for everything and it never came to any harm. There are some good deals to be had if you shop around. Best to buy from a high street authorised dealer and haggle as, unfortunately, there are many fakes to be had in the web. If I was looking to buy another Hamilton, I'd be looking at this,

h69429931_1_5_1.jpg

It's a "hand winder" model H69439931.

^^ That's the one I've been looking at.

I originally started looking at a quartz, but although more 'set and forget' practical I find them a bit boring.

21 minutes ago, How1 said:

^^ That's the one I've been looking at.

I originally started looking at a quartz, but although more 'set and forget' practical I find them a bit boring.

Hamilton quartz and autos wear very different on the wrist also.... Some of the quartz versions feel very flat and light on the wrist, especially steel bracelet versions compared to the auto versions..

49 minutes ago, How1 said:

That's the one I've been looking at.

Go for it.

At the price point you can get Hamiltons at, they're hard to beat.  Solid, reliable, well made.   In ordinary use 50m/5 bar resistance is perfectly fine.  Remember that mechanical watches need servicing every so many years to keep in fine fettle, but at least they are worth servicing, will last and modern mechanical watches are overall better made and far more reliable than those in the days of yore, plus they require no batteries.

Khaki Field Quartz, SWAT edition has been my daily wearer for about 10 years now (if not longer)

Never let me down, has taken some hard knocks but hardly shows. I would recommend one to anyone that wants a good daily wearer. Of all my watches, this is the one my daughter has insisted is willed to her (bloody cheek, I am only 50)

• Haha 3

Definitely Hamilton Khaki is one of the best in that price range and at 38mm it's perfectly sized. The new white dial is worth a look in my opinion: 

DSCF2747.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=form

• Like 2

HjANKj5.jpg

I really like mine. Its a keeper. Thinking of getting another at some point but not to use as a beater like I currently use this one. I hope you find one you like!

50 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

Bicester Village had some at a decent discount last time I was there.

might be worth a trip.

Thanks but too far. I’m oop north. I shall confine my searching to keyboard only 

Take a look at the Francis & Gaye website all Hamilton’s available at big savings on RRP.. for me great well respected piece at a price point that’s hard to beat..

6c79a0797239a7a216374c630158f081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1