• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
ryanm8655

Stolen watch advice

6 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

That is surprising, I thought the further you got from the smoke communities would be bound by kith and kin. 

Dundee.

"Dundee has overtaken Glasgow as having the worst death rate in Scotland, a country which eclipses all other EU nations for fatal overdoses."

@ryanm8655 did you go to the press ?

15 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I hope this thread may dissuade people from buying fakes from the 'looky looky' men when abroad. While it's bad enough being held up for the real thing, surely it's worse getting mugged for a 5€ fake.

If iot was just a case of handing over the watch without being injured/hurt then at least you could have a laugh thinking of these scumbags trying to sell it to a local crime boss.

14 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Would you wear your 'high end' watch out of the house? I used to wear my Rollie GMT all the time, and my Omega, but these days, they are consigned to the house, unless it's a quick trip out to a 'known' safe place. I wouldn't dare wear my GMT or Omega into Reading..

If I only felt safe wearing my watches in the house then I would sell them all. I still take the view that whilst these thefts cause great distress to the victim, they are still a very rare occurrence given the number of people visiting these areas every day.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, richy176 said:

If iot was just a case of handing over the watch without being injured/hurt then at least you could have a laugh thinking of these scumbags trying to sell it to a local crime boss.

If I only felt safe wearing my watches in the house then I would sell them all. I still take the view that whilst these thefts cause great distress to the victim, they are still a very rare occurrence given the number of people visiting these areas every day.

Quite agree.. No low life/ Scumbag will ever stop me from wearing whichever watch I choose and that includes my frequent visits to London and the area's mentioned , to be honest I don't even feel conscious that I should be aware of some Pondlife trying to snatch my piece..London is a busy place with a population of 9 Million and rising but if someone wishes to try and take my hard earned possessions then bring it on..that's probably why these Cowardly Scumbags seem to mainly target the vulnerable... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

Quite agree.. No low life/ Scumbag will ever stop me from wearing whichever watch I choose and that includes my frequent visits to London and the area's mentioned 

I have never felt uneasy in London, New York , Rome , Berlin etc etc  with whatever watch I was wearing, wherever in those cities I might be ... places I have decided not to wear an obvious luxury watch include Los Angeles (North) , Napoli (Centre) , Paris (suburbs) , Nice (suburbs). You get to feel you way around this issue in my experience and certainly Knightsbridge was a very unlucky place to get targeted. Why I think the oP was doubly unlucky in this case is that his watch was one that usually "sails under the radar" more than most in that is looks classic and luxurious but does not do so from a distance as much as others in my opinion.

12 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Where I am, those who would attempt such muggings are usually that " mindless " on chemicals, being able to walk is a great problem.

Like the 17 year old yoof who thought it would be good to throw a 6 year old boy over a balcony at Tate Modern in London yesterday

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-08-04/tate-modern-on-lockdown-after-child-falls-from-height/

12 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

That is surprising, I thought the further you got from the smoke communities would be bound by kith and kin. 

Da nefarious thievin' yoof iz evrywhr, innit, fo'shizzle.

And it's not just a class thing, let alone one of location, it's just there is a concentration of them in large urban areas where it's easier to disappear after committing a robbery.

But, as a rule, it's still true that the rural areas are safer (see below).

49 minutes ago, richy176 said:

I'd be tempted to say unlikely, rather than rare, the latest recorded crime data for y/e March 2019 shows robberies per 1,000 population by local authority;

1. Westminster (which covers most of the west end) 14.78
  2. Haringey 7.32
  3. Manchester 6.74
  4. Camden 6.66
  5. Hackney 6.39
  6. Islington 6.14
  7. Southwark 6.03
  8. Newham 5.08
  9. Kensington & Chelsea (covering most of Knightbridge) 5.00
  10. Tower Hamlets 4.80

(Source: Office for National Statistics)

Nine out of top ten are inner London boroughs and across the whole Metropolitan Police area it's 3.89 per 1000 population in a year.  That means an average of 1 in 257 people in greater London get robbed every year.  Visitor numbers will reduce this rate, but then Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea, which cover the Knightsbridge area have higher rates anyway.  Either way, not good.

The lowest rate per 1,000 population per year in England and Wales is the Isles of Scilly at Nil.  Next best is North Norfolk at 0.06, Eden (Cumbria) 0.08, Rutland 0.08, Isle of Angelsey 0.10, Pembrokeshire 0.10 and South Lakeland (Cumbria) 0.12.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

I'd be tempted to say unlikely, rather than rare, the latest recorded crime data for y/e March 2019 shows robberies per 1,000 population by local authority;

But if you filtered out Robberies that were by people(s) known to the victim or were in the victims home postcode area then the picture would be very different. 

You are far far more likely to be pickpocketed in London ( anywhere ) than be Robbed for your wristwatch.

4 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I have never felt uneasy in London, New York , Rome , Berlin etc etc  with whatever watch I was wearing, wherever in those cities I might be ... places I have decided not to wear an obvious luxury watch include Los Angeles (North) , Napoli (Centre) , Paris (suburbs) , Nice (suburbs). You get to feel you way around this issue in my experience and certainly Knightsbridge was a very unlucky place to get targeted. Why I think the oP was doubly unlucky in this case is that his watch was one that usually "sails under the radar" more than most in that is looks classic and luxurious but does not do so from a distance as much as others in my opinion.

Problem with it all is you are just as likely to be assaulted wearing the Parnis/Steinhart homage piece as you are the real deal..once the eyes have spotted the desired piece and the act has been decided it is only when the Pondlife stops to look at their ill gotten gains that the results become clear... but the damage has been done.. 

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

But if you filtered out Robberies that were by people(s) known to the victim or were in the victims home postcode area then the picture would be very different. 

You are far far more likely to be pickpocketed in London ( anywhere ) than be Robbed for your wristwatch.

You may be more likely to have your pocket picked, but then you could have your watch removed without realising it, both of which are thefts from the person.

'Robbery' is defined as a person in the course of stealing or attempting to steal from someone, uses force or the threat of force (as with the OP).  A person commits 'theft from the person' if they steal property while the property is being held or carried by the victim. This includes snatch thefts (where some degree of force is directed to the property but not to the victim) and stealth thefts (where the victim is unaware of the offence being committed, for example, pick-pocketing). Unlike robbery, these offences do not involve violence or threats to the victim.

The Police recorded robbery figures I quoted are only those actually reported to the Police and correctly logged by the Police.  It is well known that a very high proportion of yoof-on-yoof robberies and thefts are never reported, especially when the victim knows the assailants - da homebois don't snitch 2 da filth innit.

If you're suggesting that the risk is exaggerated, would you like to put your theory to the test, put on a short-sleeved shirt and a nice Rolex or Omega and have a wonder through central London and see what happens?  If so, let us all know how you get on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

If you're suggesting that the risk is exaggerated, would you like to put your theory to the test, put on a short-sleeved shirt and a nice Rolex or Omega and have a wonder through central London and see what happens?  If so, let us all know how you get on.

Tens of Thousands of people walk through the CoW and central London every day with minted watches on just stand outside Bank Tube Station area between 4 and 6 pm and you will see more Roleys and Omegas than you could count. Person-on-person crime is extremely low in the populated London through fairs and city area. I have never felt uneasy or known of anyone who has lost a watch there. Wifey has spent 3 decades on and off working near the Palace around Castle Lane area and visiting companies all over the capital by foot mostly and never an issue with any of her "nice" watches... The risk is exaggerated in my view because like I said , many recorded robberies fall into categories outside of stranger robbery. You only have to compare the advice you find in lonely planet guides and similar regarding various cities around the world to get a pretty accurate summary of risk.

51 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

Problem with it all is you are just as likely to be assaulted wearing the Parnis/Steinhart homage piece as you are the real deal..once the eyes have spotted the desired piece and the act has been decided it is only when the Pondlife stops to look at their ill gotten gains that the results become clear... but the damage has been done.. 

I suspect that targeted robberies of Parsnips and Frankens are rarer than a Nun's written complaint to the CEO of Ann Summers regarding their refund policy.

1 hour ago, RTM Boy said:

...put on a short-sleeved shirt and a nice Rolex or Omega and have a wonder through central London and see what happens?...

Have done this countless times.  The answer is that nothing happens, unless you're extremely unlucky.  We see so much bad news in the press and on TV these days that there's a misapprehension that this sort of thing is commonplace.  It isn't.   

Thanks for the replies.

I’ll go through and register the watch on the websites suggested. Really helpful.

Have had a bit of an update from the police, they’ve got CCTV of the incident and have a picture of one of their faces from tracking the cctv away from Knightsbridge. They’re going to track the other two to try and get their faces too (they split in different directions).

I know of one other person who had their Rolex stolen two weeks prior in the same sort of area (not someone I know but a work colleague of a friend - only heard about this after the event). The officer on the phone said this is really common in the area (think that area of Knightsbridge must come under Westminster as it is Westminster police station who are dealing with it).

I actually got rid of my Rolex because of the unwanted attention it received, would spot people eyeing it up...thought the Omega was a little more subtle but apparently not...I’d actually forget I was wearing it. I was wearing a T-shirt that night though, certainly wouldn’t do that again.

I’ve been pickpocketed before and had cards/wallets stolen but never been threatened. I don’t often venture to the west end and now I remember why...

Not optimistic they will find them or the watch but at least they are doing something about it...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ryanm8655 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I’ll go through and register the watch on the websites suggested. Really helpful.

I would also give cash converters a quick email ,,,, will take 5 minutes and they may run it by their London branches if you ask ....

• Like 1

Blimey, really sad (horrified) to read this. Hope you get it back soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 04/08/2019 at 17:36, deano1956 said:

rog something to be said for throwing the real thing on the floor and stamping on it just so the barswards don't get it either as your gnna lose it one way or the other ! :angry:

deano

On 04/08/2019 at 17:11, Roger the Dodger said:

I hope this thread may dissuade people from buying fakes from the 'looky looky' men when abroad. While it's bad enough being held up for the real thing, surely it's worse getting mugged for a 5€ fake....I suppose you could throw it to the floor in front of them and grind your heel into it saying "Pick the bones out of that one, you c**t"....(Sorry...:sorry:, but I'm angry, mod or not)

Roger, how does wearing a fake versus Gen effect someone trying to mug you? They just saw the big watch face and guessed most people will hand it over with the shock of a violent confrontation with a bladed weapon. 

To those who don' t wear their expensive property to unknown areas, what's the point of shopping/visiting Knightsbridge and leaving your status symbols at home? You may as well not own a exclusive watch. 

P. S. Didn't thieves mug a commedian (jimmy carr) and a premier footballer recently in their motors? Is this "mugging for the watch" a new phenomenom? 

• Like 1