• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
ryanm8655

Stolen watch advice

Hi all,

have had my watch stolen having been jumped by a gang and threatened at knife point.

Didn’t fancy getting stabbed so handed it over. Was on Knightsbridge in central London.

I’ve reported the incident to police and now that I’ve dug out the serial number plan to give them that on Monday. They also plan to interview me when I am back in London...

Any tips for locating a stolen watch? Have tried Gumtree and eBay. Imagine they’ll have flogged it on quickly (it was a group of youths, probably about 16).

Annoyingly it wasn’t insured (I’d recently purchased and was in the middle of moving so was waiting until then to insure...)

It was an omega seamaster chronograph with blue bezel, 2006 model.

Thanks,

Ryan

OP sounds  bit gutted/upset  nigel and reported to police with no insurance ( so no claim) and not uncommon in London to be attacked/ scooter gangs and all that, think evidence supports his claim :yes:, thought central London/ location  also covered with CCTV so something might turn up  ?

to OP afraid you have checked the usual suspects, but I think it will already have been sold on in the black market and may never surface for sale in main stream, may pop up at omega at some point if the person( innocent purchaser?) who owns it sends it for a service .

sorry for the loss and think you will be lucky to see it again, but you can always buy another watch, your family cant replace you!

deano

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what you mean by I can’t prove this?

Good point re: the watch being replaceable, exactly what went through my mind at the time. I’m in a wheelchair and the group were all grabbing me and tugging, I had no idea what they were after to begin with...

The police are going to check CCTV and I’m sure they’ll see the incident or at least the group run away along Knightsbridge but they all had hoodies up so not optimistic.

I was with a friend who witnessed it but he was chased off with a knife when he tried to intervene.

Not optimistic about getting it back but figured it was worth asking.

Thanks,

Ryan

I despair of this country sometimes. Being robbed at knifepoint by a gang of scumbags is bad enough, but what kind of sick animals are these that would target a defenceless person in a wheelchair? Whilst I think this is appalling, I find it even more appalling that these pondlife will never be identified and will probably go on to thieve again or even worse. 

You have my sincere condolences, Ryan. It must have been a traumatising experience.

• Like 6

Yeah, that’s the trouble...they know they’ll not get caught so aren’t worried about the consequences.

Unfortunate but I’ll save for another watch.

4 minutes ago, ryanm8655 said:

Unfortunate but I’ll save for another watch.

Save an extra £20 for a Casio to wear when negotiating the urban jungle. You shouldn't have to, but unfortunately it becomes a necessity in today's world. :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ryanm8655 said:

Hi all,

have had my watch stolen having been jumped by a gang and threatened at knife point.

Didn’t fancy getting stabbed so handed it over. Was on Knightsbridge in central London.

I’ve reported the incident to police and now that I’ve dug out the serial number plan to give them that on Monday. They also plan to interview me when I am back in London...

Any tips for locating a stolen watch? Have tried Gumtree and eBay. Imagine they’ll have flogged it on quickly (it was a group of youths, probably about 16).

Annoyingly it wasn’t insured (I’d recently purchased and was in the middle of moving so was waiting until then to insure...)

It was an omega seamaster chronograph with blue bezel, 2006 model.

Thanks,

Ryan

I can't find the watch for you, but I have some very handy mates if you get to find out where it is 

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I despair of this country sometimes. Being robbed at knifepoint by a gang of scumbags is bad enough, but what kind of sick animals are these that would target a defenceless person in a wheelchair? Whilst I think this is appalling, I find it even more appalling that these pondlife will never be identified and will probably go on to thieve again or even worse. 

You have my sincere condolences, Ryan. It must have been a traumatising experience.

What's more, unless the perpetrators were driving over 30mph, I doubt the police will care either  

• Like 1

You might try reporting the loss with one or more of the various stolen watch registries.  If ever the watch is offered to a reputable dealer, now, or at some point in the future, there's a chance the buyer may look up the serial number and the watch could be recovered.

Financial Times: How ‘finders’ reunite stolen watches with their owners

The Watch Register: Register a lost or stolen watch

If the F.T. link doesn't work by clicking on it, try copying and pasting the link into your browser.

Edited by rhaythorne
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ryanm8655 said:

The police are going to check CCTV and I’m sure they’ll see the incident or at least the group run away along Knightsbridge but they all had hoodies up so not optimistic.

I was with a friend who witnessed it but he was chased off with a knife when he tried to intervene.

The scum know they will likely get away with it because of hoodies and being in a gang and the Met has let the situation run totally out of control.  This is not a recent thing, or something that is conveniently down to 'cuts', I saw it myself building up steadily in London since at least the mid-1990s when the Met started to refer to so-called "low level crime" (you still hear police use this phrase), meaning stuff they couldn't be bothered with, like graffiti, criminal damage, drug use, 'minor' assaults, smash and grabs, theft of motocycles and scooter, shoplifting, etc., which all gateways to more serious crime.  I could give you countless example I have seen personally.

The scum picked on you because they knew there was little you could do to resist or make an escape.  They're just cheap cowards, which is why they roam in packs looking for easy pickings.

A downside of the bling culture that has developed over the last quarter of a century is brand fanboi-ism and building desirability, which may been seen as good for brands, but creates strong demand, which makes makes owners more of a target; so criminals see that everyone has heard of Rolex, everyone wants a Rolex, Rolexes are valuable, Rolexes are easy to sell on, Rolexes are very much worth stealing (substitute Rolex with the desirable brand of your choice).

The more the big, globalised, multinational high-price brands advertise and position their brands upmarket and drive RRPs up, the more this happens.  And where do you find lots of people wearing Omegas and Rolexes?  Knightbridge.  QED (I'm sorry to say).

You're looking in the right places to spot the watch. Practical steps would be to;

• Keep a watch on Gumtree and ebay for the next few months - it might take a while to show up.
  • Inform Omega with all the details, so that if it does turn up in the future for servicing, or such like, it'll be picked up.
  • Register the theft on the various stolen watch databases eg; https://www.thewatchregister.com/ http://www.mystolenwatch.com/home-en/
  • I would also recommend using Immobilise (https://www.immobilise.com/) to register any valuable items (not just watches). It's free.  I don't know if you can do this retrospectively.
  • Invest in a personal alarm that makes an horrific din of over 130dB (https://www.suzylamplugh.org/faqs/personal-alarms) that might be enough to scare off even a group of cowards in the future, or at least draw attention.

It must have been a very distressing experience, which I hope you will feel recovered from soon, but remember a watch can be replaced.  Sadly, you have to be very careful indeed on the streets of London these days.

Edited by RTM Boy
  • Like 1

We should all be safe to wear our watches, but unfortunately we aren't. As has been said earlier in the thread they are well known, valuable and easy to sell on. I wear a cheap casio when I'm anywhere unfamiliar. I hope, by some miracle you get it back.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I hope this thread may dissuade people from buying fakes from the 'looky looky' men when abroad. While it's bad enough being held up for the real thing, surely it's worse getting mugged for a 5€ fake....I suppose you could throw it to the floor in front of them and grind your heel into it saying "Pick the bones out of that one, you c**t"....(Sorry...:sorry:, but I'm angry, mod or not)

• Like 1

rog something to be said for throwing the real thing on the floor and stamping on it just so the barswards don't get it either as your gnna lose it one way or the other ! :angry:

deano

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

rog something to be said for throwing the real thing on the floor and stamping on it just so the barswards don't get it either as your gnna lose it one way or the other ! :angry:

deano

Ha Ha...I like your style, Deano, my friend...though I wouldn't class either of our actions 'advice'...more like a last resort......:thumbsup:

• Like 2

This thread poses a question. Would you wear your 'high end' watch out of the house? I used to wear my Rollie GMT all the time, and my Omega, but these days, they are consigned to the house, unless it's a quick trip out to a 'known' safe place. I wouldn't dare wear my GMT or Omega into Reading...I'd be up against a wall the minute I left the pub or visiting the gents. My boss had his trousers pulled down and his jacket yanked back, Rolex Datejust snatched, and that was a Weatherspoons.....Bond, take care up there in the North, unless, of course, you're Chuck Norris in disguise....then the bu@@ers would get it

22 hours ago, deano1956 said:

OP sounds  bit gutted/upset  nigel and reported to police with no insurance ( so no claim) and not uncommon in London to be attacked/ scooter gangs and all that, think evidence supports his claim :yes:, thought central London/ location  also covered with CCTV so something might turn up  ?

to OP afraid you have checked the usual suspects, but I think it will already have been sold on in the black market and may never surface for sale in main stream, may pop up at omega at some point if the person( innocent purchaser?) who owns it sends it for a service .

sorry for the loss and think you will be lucky to see it again, but you can always buy another watch, your family cant replace you!

deano

maybe. 

3 hours ago, borobiffa said:

I wear a cheap casio when I'm anywhere unfamiliar.

It's the places I'm very familiar with that worry me...I know what goes on there.

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

This thread poses a question. Would you wear your 'high end' watch out of the house? I used to wear my Rollie GMT all the time, and my Omega, but these days, they are consigned to the house, unless it's a quick trip out to a 'known' safe place. I wouldn't dare wear my GMT or Omega into Reading...I'd be up against a wall the minute I left the pub or visiting the gents. My boss had his trousers pulled down and his jacket yanked back, Rolex Datejust snatched, and that was a Weatherspoons.....Bond, take care up there in the North, unless, of course, you're Chuck Norris in disguise....then the bu@@ers would get it

As ever it would depend.  It's a matter of visibility.  Can the scum see it on your wrist, or can you keep it concealed?  If I had high end watches, I would certainly be cautious on public transport and public places with lots of people, as you should be anyway, because of pickpockets.  I wouldn't even wear a Casio in a McDonalds (it seems to be the yoof crims meeting place of choice).

Even in a car, if the watch is visible, you're in slow moving traffic and the scooter scum eye it, you're in trouble.  Car jacking is rife in London too.  If you drive a 'flash' car, the thieving sods with think you have other things worth taking eg your watch.  I personally know of watches stolen at a wedding and a private party.

Then again, if you have to keep it concealed, you can't look at it for fear of some nefarious scrote spotting it, it does rather detract from the point of having it.

I repeat my concern about how the manufacturers are pushing and pushing the 'desirability' of brands and pushing the RRPs through the roof added to which the association with celebs, the gangsta lifestyle, making the theft of high end watches more and more attractive as ready sources of lots of cash.  IMHO they need to tone it down because customers are at risk.  Of course, there are also plenty of people willing to buy stolen goods from a bloke in the pub - also attracted by big name goods.

If there wasn't such a ready market for Omegas and Rolexes they would not attract the welcome and unwelcome attention they do today.  If they were less easy to sell on, they wouldn't get stolen, which would mean for robbers, as the poets Stuart Goddard and Marco Pirroni famously put it; "So what's the point of robbery, when nothing is worth taking?"

Edited by RTM Boy
  • Thanks 1

blimey this thread tells me more about the state of the UK than ive become accustomed too in the past 46 years and particularly the past 12 years of my sheltered life. What a mess.  

44 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

blimey this thread tells me more about the state of the UK than ive become accustomed too in the past 46 years and particularly the past 12 years of my sheltered life. What a mess.  

I don't think its bad everywhere but where you have a mix of poverty and wealth it brings into play competition for resources. I must say though that the OP represents particularly low hanging fruit which most would leave on the tree. Sad times.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I don't think its bad everywhere but where you have a mix of poverty and wealth it brings into play competition for resources. 

Where I am, those who would attempt such muggings are usually that " mindless " on chemicals, being able to walk is a great problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

Where I am, those who would attempt such muggings are usually that " mindless " on chemicals, being able to walk is a great problem.

Down here in the Wild West that was once peaceful Hampshire ... its pretty random. Hop-heads , career crims,,, etc etc you never know. What i DO know it that all the people I know who have had decent watches robbed and been targeted because of their own advertising.... 

Regards the OP , I think he was massively unlucky because that part of London is not known for that sort of take .... it sounds like some dudes/scroats from a near-ash postcode trying their luck. Wrong place , wrong time ....

Despite the idiot Mayor that is currently out-of-his-depth trying to run London , its still safer mostly than many other places in Europe for wandering around minding your own business with a nice watch ... in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

That is surprising, I thought the further you got from the smoke communities would be bound by kith and kin. 

Just now, wrenny1969 said:

That is surprising, I thought the further you got from the smoke communities would be bound by kith and kin. 

A lot of Scotland is Higher than its Geographical Altitude would suggest ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1