• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi there. Looking for some advice from ones more knowledgeable than myself.

I recently turned 30 and have threatened treating myself to a decent timepiece for years. But now it comes to buying one I'm struggling to decide. I ideally want one that won't absolutely haemorrhage money once purchased and maybe even one for a sound investment for the future. So looking for some suggestions  or even warnings of what to avoid.

Willing to push upto 6k mark at the very most at the time being.

For a bit of context the watches I like at the moment are:-

Bretling Superocean Heritage II

Rolex GMT master, black/blue bezel

Omega speedmaster 

Omega Seamaster planet ocean 600m

Open to any suggestions or advice. 

43 minutes ago, Subo said:

I ideally want one that won't absolutely haemorrhage money once purchased and maybe even one for a sound investment for the future. 

Possibly this one, although you may have to push a little further.

None will be a sound investment compared to buying some land near you... but the Rolex won't loose you money. Some planet Oceans keep their value well , others plunge. Upto 6k then you can get yourself a nice Speedmaster 57 - type iteration but avoid the new "racing" as their secondary values are already not looking great. But the Breitling from a broker at about 23% off and you are happy days with that one , they don't loose too much after that discount.

oh.... and personally ... for me ... the nicest watch(s) out of all of them ( forgetting the money element )  , would be a toss up between a decent Speedmaster double sub dial and a Planet Ocean. 

6 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

luxurious

Dilute to taste.

Back to the OP. Have a look at used prices, that will give you an indication of potential resale value. As far as the Rolex bubble bursting, who knows. There's been folks "predicting" it for years and it hasn't happened, yet. 

That's a lot of money for a 30yo to heamorage!

I was 40 last year, I commissioned a watch from D Hodge. It want expensive BUT it is special and individual to me, have allok around and get something made up just for you!

(Breitling superocean heritage for me but the smallest version currently available) 

51 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Dilute to taste.

There's been folks "predicting" it for years and it hasn't happened, yet. 

There are Jungle drums ... Many Dealers are no longer buying in "just for stock" like they were in the South East .. Also SS sports models are starting to appear quicker than last year .. Also Rolex appear to be starting to actually able to produce the watches they claim they are "selling" on their website ( which in my very personal opinion is deliberately shyte ) like the DJ  in white and black in steel etc etc .... Something is afoot.... 

8 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I would say " When the watches advertised on their website are actually really truthfully available actually to really buy in the real actual world..... then PANIC "

Sorry, I was distracted. I'm currently on the second floor, its dark, and a strange shadowy thing just flew past the window going "oink".

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Subo said:

Hi there. Looking for some advice from ones more knowledgeable than myself.

I recently turned 30 and have threatened treating myself to a decent timepiece for years. But now it comes to buying one I'm struggling to decide. I ideally want one that won't absolutely haemorrhage money once purchased and maybe even one for a sound investment for the future. So looking for some suggestions  or even warnings of what to avoid.

For a bit of context the watches I like at the moment are:-

Bretling Superocean Heritage II

Omega speedmaster 

Omega Seamaster planet ocean 600m

The Rolex GMT master, black/blue bezel /Batman is currently selling at Double retail.. the rest buy the one that you like.. that fits you wrist,, and suits your needs. and Try before you buy.but be prepared to take a massive hit if paying RRP and you need to get out of the listed pieces... all of your choices are available at substantial discounts if you shop hard enough..and don't rule out buying your listed pieces preowned..  

Edited by Speedy112
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Speedy112 said:

The Rolex GMT master, black/blue bezel /Batman is currently selling at Double retail.. the rest buy the one that you like.. that fits you wrist,, and suits your needs. and Try before you buy.but be prepared to take a massive hit if paying RRP and you need to get out of the listed pieces... all of your choices are available at substantial discounts if you shop hard enough..and don't rule out buying your listed pieces preowned..  

speedmaster vintage moon watch.  vin

39 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Soft compared to what ?? 

316L and 904L are typically within the same hardness range. 

39 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Soft compared to what ?? 

316L and 904L are typically within the same hardness range. 

i think,  316 is even magnetic.  as you know,  there are many types of s.s..   going from that will rust to ones that are hard as hell.   i remember - 4140 as a good one.  it would be good to know which formula on which watch case.     vin

45 minutes ago, vinn said:

speedmaster vintage moon watch.  vin

i think,  316 is even magnetic.  as you know,  there are many types of s.s..   going from that will rust to ones that are hard as hell.   i remember - 4140 as a good one.  it would be good to know which formula on which watch case.     vin

As you say there are numerous concoctions and some are even slightly magnetic. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Obviously if I had £6K and an eye to holding a bit of value I'd look for an older used GMT, Sub or Sea Dweller if you can still get them at that sort of money

:biggrin:

14 hours ago, Subo said:

I ideally want one that won't absolutely haemorrhage money once purchased and maybe even one for a sound investment for the future

If I was looking at a safe bet for holding or increasing in value then I would go for the Rolex but only if I liked it enough to wear every day. Otherwise buy the one you would want to wear . Worth having a look at the asking prices on chrono24 to get an idea of what discounts might be available.

• Like 1