• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
normdiaz

Citizen Eco-Drive longevity

My Citizen Eco-Drive PC, model BL1184-56L is celebrating its 14th year of uninterrupted service this month.  Share your experiences, if so inclined, with the longevity of the brand/type.

• Like 2

I purchased this PMX56-2592 that was produced in 2001 a few years ago from the original buyer who sold it as needing a new capacitor has he had never had anything done to the watch . When it arrived it had the dreaded 2 click  stutter on the second hand but a few days on a window sill and it started working perfectly and has kept great time since .

large.imageedit_48_2255718816.jpg.099d93e9b8fd49a349167736a5acb060.jpg

I purchased this AT0200-05E chronograph 11 years ago and it`s never missed a beat .

large.imageedit_1_9459312792.jpg.2edfe16b73312010b327794aae85375e.jpg

I just hope i`m not tempting fate by posting them :teethsmile: 

Both my Orca and Ecozilla are both still working perfectly. I've had them for a couple of years now, and they always stay on a window cill (not south facing because of the direct sunlight) when I'm not wearing them. What's really surprising is the way the Orca seems to be rising in value these days. When they do turn up on ebay, they seem to fetch crazy money. There's a couple on there now just nudging the £600 mark and another (no box, papers) at £450.

6 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Both my Orca and Ecozilla are both still working perfectly. I've had them for a couple of years now, and they always stay on a window cill (not south facing because of the direct sunlight) when I'm not wearing them. What's really surprising is the way the Orca seems to be rising in value these days. When they do turn up on ebay, they seem to fetch crazy money. There's a couple on there now just nudging the £600 mark and another (no box, papers) at £450.

I think that is the key to longevity Roger ,I have a perpetual calendar and although I don't really wear it particularly, it has sat on the window cill for a few years now and is still working fine.

Ive done a few capacitors in eco drives for friends who's watches are newer than mine but have been kept in their box or in a drawer , It seems when they are kept in the dark they seem to die and can't be revived , had one just last week and it just wouldn't come back to life

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, andyclient said:

sat on the window cill for a few years now and is still working fine.

They just need light, though, don't they, not sunlight? My eco-drive and solar Edifice live in a watch box with a glass lid. They seem okay so far.

4 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

They just need light, though, don't they, not sunlight? My eco-drive and solar Edifice live in a watch box with a glass lid. They seem okay so far.

Yes light is fine , it's just they charge quicker the brighter the light , and its just where i keep mine , but ordinary daylight is fine to keep it topped up and running :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:52, Decker said:

I purchased this PMX56-2592 that was produced in 2001 a few years ago from the original buyer who sold it as needing a new capacitor has he had never had anything done to the watch . When it arrived it had the dreaded 2 click  stutter on the second hand but a few days on a window sill and it started working perfectly and has kept great time since .

large.imageedit_48_2255718816.jpg.099d93e9b8fd49a349167736a5acb060.jpg

I purchased this AT0200-05E chronograph 11 years ago and it`s never missed a beat .

large.imageedit_1_9459312792.jpg.2edfe16b73312010b327794aae85375e.jpg

I just hope i`m not tempting fate by posting them :teethsmile: 

Yes,  fate is the hunter.  I leave them next to the stove for a coulple days.  vin

• Like 1

I was given this years ago as a freebie either on here or TZ, It's so long ago that I don't recall which forum and to my everlasting shame, I can't recall who the very generous person was that offered it as a freebie, I'm pretty sure it was offered on a new years day!!

3NMd6d0.jpg ifEqvex.jpg

It still runs strongly and I can't remember ever having to adjust it only for DST :notworthy:

John :)

Edited by johnbaz
Adding a pic