UK Watch Forum banner

Born with a Silver Spoon...: The Bucherer-Rolex Teaspoons

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Sammill.s 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Having recently acquired a group of four teaspoons bearing both the Bucherer and Rolex names, I thought I ought to see what this is all about. And it turns out to be one of those quirks of watch promotion/advertising that seems to make no real marketing sense, yet has been the subject of collecting by a few dedicated souls who have amassed considerable collections of these spoons, which are found in some variety.

My own examples are all identical, with the Lucerne lion in the bowl, and along the back of the shank, in relief, the words, "BUCHERER OF SWITZERLAND." The finial of each spoon comprises the Rolex coronet and name above a rose, all above the word "BUCHERER." I am not exactly sure of the date of my spoons but they are neither the earliest type nor the more recent spoons produced by Bucherer to advertise their various dealerships and the Rolex brand name. Originally, at some time in the 1950s, Bucherer decided to have promotional teaspoons that bore no connection to Rolex, and at about the same time they introduced Bucherer-Rolex branded teaspoons, the first of which had the Rolex name in a cut-out at the top of the spoon, and these were given away (one to a customer) on the purchase of a Rolex watch.

The sole practice of one spoon per Rolex purchaser did not last long and the spoons were sometimes given out just for attending one of the Bucherer dealerships; either a Bucherer store or hotel outlet. Over the years, variations have been produced, including spoons named for different store locations, but I am not going to discuss the minutiae of the various different versions of Bucherer-Rolex teaspoons that can be found. Instead, I give a very useful link plus another web address web here below that, taken together, provide an informative and well-illustrated guide to the Bucherer-Rolex teaspoons ( and as for other pictures, and availability of the Bucherer-Rolex tea/coffee spoons for sale, there are plenty to choose from online):

https://scwilcox.wixsite.com/parkerwatch/rolexspoons

antiquesqa.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-spoonful-of-memories.html

Before leaving this interesting sideshow to the main subject of watch history, I must just say something about the materials used for these spoons some of which bear small marks relating to the metals used. It has been stated that the Bucherer-Rolex spoons are either silver-plated or stainless steel, with my own examples bearing a small mark on the back of the spoon, right at the top, reading "CB6.9". The problem arises as to what exactly that mark means because if it means that each spoon contains 6.9 grams of silver (as opposed to merely a requirement for 6.9 grams of silver to be used during the actual plating process for each spoon) then my spoons cannot be silver plated since that amount of silver represents just over half the weight of each teaspoon. Such a high proportion of silver would be found in a silver alloy rather than a thin plating. It has also been noted that CB alone indicates stainless steel. Caution should perhaps be exercised when reading the given definitions of all the metal-standard marks found on these spoons until a final authoritative record can be found to verify what these marks actually mean.

A selection of Bucherer-Rolex teaspoons with my own examples being of the type shown third from the left (pic from static.wixstatic.com):

4472ce_cd1e79f12f1a465a8cef33674eb91e99~

See less See more
#3 ·
Well @relaxer7, I found them in a collector's market priced at £6 for the four; they are in lovely condition. Your amusing query as to what I will use them for is actually relevant because although they are usually described as teaspoons, I have seen them listed as coffee spoons, and even egg spoons. I do find it quirky that any company specializing in the sale of watches should decide to use the humble teaspoon as a promotional gimmick. :biggrin:

#4 ·
Well @relaxer7, I found them in a collector's market priced at £6 for the four; they are in lovely condition. Your amusing query as to what I will use them for is actually relevant because although they are usually described as teaspoons, I have seen them listed as coffee spoons, and even egg spoons. I do find it quirky that any company specializing in the sale of watches should decide to use the humble teaspoon as a promotional gimmick. :biggrin:
Sounds like a great buy to me!

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.