• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Bonzodog

It’s a Sinn

I’ve been drooling over a couple of Sinn watches for a while now,seen a few mixed reviews regarding the brand.Any owners care to comment on the quality,Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Bonzodog said:

I’ve been drooling over a couple of Sinn watches for a while now,seen a few mixed reviews regarding the brand.Any owners care to comment on the quality,Thanks in advance.

Have not owned one ... but borrowed a buddy's 104 for a few days and I can say the following about it ; The quality is about bang on for the money, really nice touches and finishing but the dial texturing I could not help feel was a bit under-baked in that it had the $400 kick starter look about it. Fit was superb on my medium wrists but there is no way I could see how it would sit comfy on a larger, flatter wrist due to the angular lugs. For me it meant the watch snuggly wedged in place perfectly but I can see how would not be the case for many. The reverse case back allowed me to see the beautiful movement ( From memory Sinn badged Sellita ) and that was a nice touch I guess although for that particular watch , could not help thinking solid case back would have been better. Strap was OK I seem to remember nothing +ve or -ve about it. Bezel was awesome finish and function ( bi-directional )  and finally I would say the overall appearance was one of a highly desirable piece. Did I pull the trigger on one for myself ? Not quite. Almost did but at the time was given an amazing price on an Unworn Speedy Date so went for that instead. Would I buy one though ? Yes. At full RRP ? Hmmmm.... no , I think I would seek out a pre-owned ... or hunt out a 20% of new If I could. Is it a daily wearer , or a "collectors" watch ... personally for me the latter.:thumbsup:

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 1

I’ve has my eye on a Sinn U1 for a while now but nursery fees have all but killed off my watch saving abilities for now. From the models I’ve picked up and handled I can say they feel pretty top notch and as German as you’d expect.

• Like 1

Never been near one, I'm afraid.  It may not be be entirely 'rational', but 'Made in Germany' watches simply do absolutely nothing for me, the name Sinn puts me right off and the designs whilst nice, are not terribly original - with the possible exception of the EMZ 12 mission timer, which looks great, but is 44mm dia (too big) and costs €3,370 delivered (current about £3,120 - so too much).

I prefer Fortis designs for pilot watches or Oris aviation models.

But don't let me put you off. :laugh:

I'm wondering where the mixed reviews came from?

Every Sinn I've owned (U1, 556i, 104 st, EZM2) has been superb. The tegimented steel hardening isn't quite up there with Damasko's ice-hardening, but the watches themselves have all been brilliantly built and solid.

I've only ever read good things about its customer services from Sinn in Germany, too. They had problems when they appointed Page & Cooper as an AD. Page & Cooper's customer service tends to be on the slack side, but you could buy from Jura or Chronomaster.

It pays to buy used though:

Here's a 6-month old version of a 556i with a saving of over £300:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinn-556i-Bracelet/123872273582?hash=item1cd75ce4ae:g:LwoAAOSw-ixdUUfH

I don't know who the seller is, it was just the first one to come up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

I'm wondering where the mixed reviews came from?

Actually you have nailed it I think , the only "negatives" I have ever heard have been customer service from the afore mentioned outfit. Regards price , I would say some ( and by no means a majority of ) models are over priced for what you get compared selected competitors etc etc but I have never heard of a negative review of a watch itself.... and like you have only ever heard good things about Sinn servicing and customer service.

1 hour ago, RTM Boy said:

the name Sinn puts me right off and the designs whilst nice, are not terribly original

He couldn't really hep his name could he ? He was born with it after all ...... :yes:

• Haha 1

I have to say I still have an itch for a U1, But apart from that I prefer Damasko designs and cases, which are just so sexy tactile - lol! 

But yeah, Sinn CS is weird. I decided to scratch my itch and was surprised to learn they have an AD in Bangkok, so I sent them an email (Thai watch dealers seem the only companies that use email here) and they quickly replied that they no longer represented the company, but they had a few left in stock, but not the U1,if I wanted to view them. 

So I thought, okay, I will buy direct from Sinn, but the website wouldn't let me and directed me to the AD. So I sent an email to Sinn CS basically explaining the above and could they update their website and could I now buy direct from them please? They replied insisting they still had an AD in Bkk and I had to go there. So on my next visit to the city, I did. The AD is in an high end Mall called Gaysorn and they sold Patek, Rolex, JLC and others of that ilk so Sinn seemed an odd mix (they were also part of a small chain that sold at such Malls).Anyway, they were very nice people and brought out the half dozen or so mediocre Sinns they still held and confirmed when they stopped representing the company. So back to Sinn I went, explaining all that had happened and in turn I  just got another email saying sorry, we have an authorised AD in Bkk!. So that killed my itch. I kept an eye of their website and it took a few months before the AD I contacted was removed.

4 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

Every Sinn I've owned (U1, 556i, 104 st, EZM2) has been superb. The tegimented steel hardening isn't quite up there with Damasko's ice-hardening, but the watches themselves have all been brilliantly built and solid.

Sinn and Damasko, both excellent and on my list If I ever get round to moving stuff on.

nice  no nonsense dials.

main_556i.jpg

Damasko-Watch-DA-36-DA-36-Leather-Pin.jp

never heard anything bad.

• Like 1

Listed after a few of them for a while and read lots of reviews / vids... The 104 is what I'm after but be easily tempted by so may others.

Solid brand and solid watches from what I've seen. Huge brand in mainland Europe I believe

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Listed after a few of them for a while and read lots of reviews / vids... The 104 is what I'm after but be easily tempted by so may others.

Solid brand and solid watches from what I've seen. Huge brand in mainland Europe I believe

Rather fond of the 104 myself.

I've had a few Sinn watches over the years. Build quality on all was superb but the styling led me to sell every one I had. 

• Like 1

Well I started out with good intentions .Wanted a Sinn 104,like many of my good intentions things went a little off piste so to say.I was tempted by an Oris 65,should be with me next week.Perhaps the 104 next time.

3 hours ago, Bonzodog said:

Well I started out with good intentions .Wanted a Sinn 104, like many of my good intentions things went a little off piste so to say.

Brilliant! :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1