• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
TDC

Building a Watch from NOS Parts

Hi all, I have an Omega Spider case and bracelet at home, I love the design of the (complete) watch but I'm contemplating using these as a basis to build up a new watch from parts as a bit of a challenge.

I design and manufacture machinery myself, and used to be very good at model making (in particular the small detailed bits) so I'm reasonably confident I can do it, but my watchmaking skills have never yet been tested!

This is basically what I have so far:

image-jpg.171300

I gather the watch as standard uses a 1430 movement, and this is where my knowledge begins to fade.  Can I simply buy an aftermarket 1430 movement and expect it to fit?  Ebay link to an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISA-9231-1430-Quartz-Movement-Swiss-made-NEW/323853539436?hash=item4b672cd86c:g:2sYAAOSwz~RdI0Hb

I know it is most likely a cheap and nasty movement but I can replace this in future if the watch turns out to be nice and "worth it".

For the face, I can't find any original dials (other than a gold one) so considering something like a meteorite face, again I can find a rhodium plated one on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meteorite-Jewelry-30mm-X-30mm-Meteorite-circle-watch-face-SUPER-THIN/233208698030?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Parts wise I just have hands, markers, crown and a crystal to locate (hopefully the easiest bits), assembling I assume will be fiddly to say the least.  If I can mark out the dial and drill it nicely then the markers etc can be glued from the back, I have no idea how I would hold the face yet though unless glue is a viable option!

Sorry this probably sounds like a bit of a mad man post, but I'd like to be told if I'm about to embark on something impossible, or if it is quite feasible.

Many thanks, TC

Maybe someone can simply advise me if any 1430 movement will fit- or if I have to use a different/specific part number etc?