• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

So I've been on a bit of a spree in recent months. Four new watches, all mechanical (which is a turn up for a previously quartz only guy), and all on leather.

Three are brand new and one is used. One of the four I bought on a bracelet but immediately switched to a Zlimsn alligator strap which has been super supple and comfortable from day one. The used one is very comfortable - maybe broken in already?

Two have straps that are very nice but quite uncomfortable due to being very stiff. They just don't seem to want to conform to my fairly flat wrist shape, and leave the watch floating above the top side of my wrist.

Is this something anyone else here has experienced? And if so, what's the best course of action?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

If they are real leather then you can use leather oils and manipulate the strap with a bit of patience.... They will soften and mould.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently soaking them overnight in urine, better if its your own, softens the leather. Worked well with my Police boots in the 80s.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, niveketak said:

Apparently soaking them overnight in urine, better if its your own, softens the leather. Worked well with my Police boots in the 80s.

I know urine is used in the tanning process but never heard of this one. Might be best to leave it on the wrist and ask the wife to urinate upon it? Send me pics so I can *ahem* be sure the process is being followed properly :biggrin:

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

Send me pics

Please keep the general forum safe for work!

11 hours ago, Eski said:

what's the best course of action?

I fasten them quite tight round one of these, but put a cloth around it - the edges can be quite sharp:

Watch Display Stand, Single, Double or Triple, 41 Colours, Home, Retail, Acrylic

• Haha 1

There are many sorts of leather softening creams and sprays you can find online. If you search for 'dubbin' on Amazon (other retailers are available) take you pick :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, niveketak said:

Are you taking the p!$$ ?

12 hours ago, Eski said:

And if so, what's the best course of action?

Soak the strap in tap water, then wear it untill it dries out and it will be the shape of your wrist. Buy a small tub of white shoe cream and work it in to the leather. White, once dried and penetrated shouldn't discolour your straps too much. Leather oils will if the strap is light tan for instance. Morrisons used to sell this for around £4

collage-2017-03-17-01_03_48.jpg?w=960

• Like 1

Soak the strap in tap water, then wear it untill it dries out and it will be the shape of your wrist. Buy a small tub of white shoe cream and work it in to the leather. White, once dried and penetrated shouldn't discolour your straps too much. Leather oils will if the strap is light tan for instance. Morrisons used to sell this for around £4
collage-2017-03-17-01_03_48.jpg?w=960
Cheers for that.

I've found something on Amazon called Neatsfoot oil, which apparently softens up stiff or old leather.

Both of my straps requiring some extra flexibility are black, so I'm assuming colour alteration shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great thread, perhaps with a few err-humm in places. What amazes me is how a word conjures up a distant past - in my case, that word is "dubbin," used above by RTM Boy. I haven't heard mention of dubbin since my schooldays when we used it on our leather rugger boots, if my (failing) memory is correct. :biggrin:

• Like 2

"dubbin"

Always used Chelsea dubbin on my footy boots when I was a kid :)620c8cc7e3d70d09af6eca1f86294300.jpg

• Like 1

I've always used Olay Beauty Fluid... no idea if it works on leather straps though :whistle:

Ahem! But no, seriously, it does!  Whether it's more dangerous to broach the idea of your missus peeing on your watch strap or stealing stuff from her make-up drawer is up to you to decide. 

8 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

I know urine is used in the tanning process but never heard of this one. Might be best to leave it on the wrist and ask the wife to urinate upon it? Send me pics so I can *ahem* be sure the process is being followed properly :biggrin:

You're a wrong 'un! 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Eski said:

Neatsfoot oil,

It'll do the job but it is "oily" and a bit messy. :thumbsup:

I used Lord Sheraton on the strap that came with my Eco-drive, but that was more about cleaning it up than making it softer. It did a good job.

I think some of the problem is how the strap is made. I have two leather straps from Geckota. One is a straight piece of leather 3mm thick, which is very comfortable. The other is thinner, overall, but padded at the lug end and that bit doesn't want to bend with my wrist at all.

when i was in the jag drivers club there was a lad with an absolutely mint xjs, and the leather was amazing, he said he used mild baby shampoo on it as it was very delicate and the leather in the jag was good stuff, he said rub it in by hand as you can then feel where the leather is dry and needs more application. 

..padded at the lug end and that bit doesn't want to bend with my wrist at all.

That's exactly my problem. The thick padding just doesn't want to give.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

when i was in the jag drivers club there was a lad with an absolutely mint xjs, and the leather was amazing, he said he used mild baby shampoo on it as it was very delicate and the leather in the jag was good stuff, he said rub it in by hand as you can then feel where the leather is dry and needs more application. 

This Jag leather, did it look good on his wrist then ?

• Like 1

Just now, WRENCH said:

This Jag leather, did it look good on his wrist then ?

never tried it mate, i guess it would have looked very good. 

it was doeskin

and with the pleats i guess a strip would be just right. 

this sort of thing

Image result for jag xjs doeskin seat

7 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

never tried it mate, i guess it would have looked very good. 

it was doeskin

and with the pleats i guess a strip would be just right. 

this sort of thing

Image result for jag xjs doeskin seat

My mate has one. XJS sports lorry I call it.

• Like 1

Just now, WRENCH said:

My mate has one. XJS sports lorry I call it.

yeh i was disappointed in mine after the 635 beemer the v12 was a lack lustre old thing the 3.6 twr felt good back in about 1998 when i had one, it was a 91 but the air con leaks were a pain in the arse and the rust. 

a mates just got one with 39k on the clock and one owner from new with no brakes....and amazingly no rust, its been in a barn in eccles since god knows when. 

its an f ref in balck with saville and a v12. 

any how got to go now lights out soon nighty night. 

The leather in my Beemer had suffered years of sun and was well dried out. 

I hinched it with some potion that Big M had. Apparently the Ladies of Facetw@t were raving about it. Less than a quid in one of those cheap bargains sort of shop, obviously I was a bit sceptical but it worked wonders. 

2019-08-17_09-05-012019-08-17_09-05-15

No reason it wouldn't work on leather watch straps. When she's finished putting her Saturday night slap on I'll ask her what it was called, I think Elbow Grease. 

7 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

, I think Elbow Grease. 

I've got that stuff, it cleans cylinder heads as well.

snapshotimagehandler_1433348145.jpeg?h=2

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I've got that stuff, it cleans cylinder heads as well.

snapshotimagehandler_1433348145.jpeg?h=2

Yep that's it. 

I just asked her 89p in Poundstretchers. 

:biggrin: