• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Incoming Seiko 7741 5120 Tungsten Carbide 'Dolce' 1987

Quiet excited about this one, just picked it up so sellers pictures and im hoping @kevkojak might know more. But from what i can gather the Dolce range in the 80s were pretty special and this is the Tungsten Carbide with capped seconds hand and sapphire crystal. Its a 1987 and looks mint. 

Some blurb from the net

"Tungsten carbide is probably the toughest material from which to make a watch case and can only be scratched by diamond the seconds hand is capped which was a special feature for what was considered a top end watch. Dolce was the most expensive line in the 1980's Seiko line up with the Grand Quartz having been retired and the Grand Seiko and Credor not yet rolled out, at 12000 yen it cost it cost the same as a gold tuna and double the price of a regular tuna. The dial is a parchment with snow flake crystal effect in the light, its a JDM watch"

Now I just need Kev to validate some of that for me? But it sure looks nice. I like the crispness of the cut of the case and ive been after something in the cartier tank ilk without the price tag for a while. I think this fits the bill. Sellers pics. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

What a great looking watch.  A little small for me, but it's a beautiful dress watch Nigel.

As far as info... Nada.  I've had two of the Dolce models but honestly I have never soaked up any useful nuggets of information that I could share, just what you've already said.

The Tungsten Carbide case was a popular material to play with in the 1980's, not long before that Omega were experimenting with the "Hard Metal" ceramic type cases, and may well have produced models in this too, but it was their messing about that seemed to push the rest of the watch world to try new materials.

Great catch.

• Thanks 1

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 14:41, Nigelp said:

ive been after something in the cartier tank ilk without the price tag

I think that fits the bill perfectly :thumbs_up:

deano

oh and I like the blue strap( recommended elsewhere for someone else :biggrin:)

• Thanks 1

thanks lads, it should be here tomorrow so i will put more impressions on then, cheers nigel.