• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
BondandBigM

One Hit Wonders

You all know them. 

With in 10 seconds of the tune playing on the radio or jukebox you know all the word but unless you are a pub quiz geek you have no idea of who the singer or group was called. 

:biggrin:

I stuck YouTube on a random play tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe not quite one hit wonders, but disappeared into relative obscurity after initial success.  Both still active now I believe.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

You all know them. 

With in 10 seconds of the tune playing on the radio or jukebox you know all the word but unless you are a pub quiz geek you have no idea of who the singer or group was called. 

I stuck YouTube on a random play tonight. 

I loved uptown top ranking :thumbsup:

What about the horror that was Joe Dolce's "Shaddup your Face." A "lowlight" of 1981.:laugh:

I tried to post this track on video from Youtube onto this thread but failed; just as well perhaps.

Ah, where do we start???  How about these three

Trio - Da Da Da ("Ich liebe dich nicht, du liebst mich nicht - a-ha") 

The Archies - Sugar Sugar (the original garage band :laugh:)

Bluebells - Young at Heart (ft Clair Grogan moonlighting in the video) :biggrin:

One from Big M

On 19/08/2019 at 14:44, Turpinr said:

I loved uptown top ranking :thumbsup:

I had an old Aunt who lived in Sheffield in the 70's, went to Sheffield Top Rank a few times. 

By chance I saw The Jam there one weekend probably before the were well known. 

Di4hXJdW4AYaQhh.jpg

Not sure it was £4.50, that was a lot of money back then, I was only getting about seven or eight quid a week as an apprentice so it might have been before this. 

:)

3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

One from Big M

I had an old Aunt who lived in Sheffield in the 70's, went to Sheffield Top Rank a few times. 

By chance I saw The Jam there one weekend probably before the were well known. 

Di4hXJdW4AYaQhh.jpg

Not sure it was £4.50, that was a lot of money back then, I was only getting about seven or eight quid a week as an apprentice so it might have been before this. 

:)

£4.50 was just under half my 16 year old craft apprentice wage in August 1974 :biggrin:

The Piglets and Johnny Reggae was really Jonathan King.

Hazel O'Connor was hardly a one hit wonder and had a few hits and top selling albums. Also one of the best lives acts I saw.

These were definitely a one-hit wonder that used to be wheeled out around summer holiday times. Loved it as it always reminded me of holidays with mates when younger, whether it be Clacton, North Devon, Kavos or Ibiza. Great times.

Edited by Caller.

13 hours ago, Caller. said:

The Piglets and Johnny Reggae was really Jonathan King.

Hazel O'Connor was hardly a one hit wonder and had a few hits and top selling albums. Also one of the best lives acts I saw.

These were definitely a one-hit wonder that used to be wheeled out around summer holiday times. Loved it as it always reminded me of holidays with mates when younger, whether it be Clacton, North Devon, Kavos or Ibiza. Great times.

This was covered by the Vengaboys, but renamed 'We're going to Ibiza'

• Like 2