• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nigelp

Warning fake seikos on the bay.

Im often browsing seikos on the bay, and ive had enough of them to know a good one from a bad one. This one was advertised for £8.99. So as it looked so new i expected it was fake and bought it deliberately to see if it was. I reckon even steve wonder would know this was a wrong un. It claims to be an sq, so it would be pretty nice if it was gen. So that gives it away, look at the dial. Its a molded piece of plastic. The case is badly pressed, but the back gives it away. Its running a miyota qtz. Not a seiko calibre at all. There is no seiko reference or caliber number on the back or serial. And its really rough. Ive seen a few that look like this on the bay. At more. Be careful. Ive bought this as an example and will take it up with ebay. I guess most on here would know it was fake looking at the pics anyhow. But its worth mentioning. Its a horror lolf14edda5a678ef1ea54447d1a1c9a53b.jpg2a821380b009b0083a70e6c2bba39efe.jpg0077d35d21687582a93b2c91f7991e9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

There are a few like it now on the bay. I sent a message to the seller. Who refunded me saying they had no idea and told me to keep it. Which is what id have done in their shoes so....only one thing to do.... kill it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Last week i noticed a friend of mine had a new seiko 5 on, i asked to have a closer look at it, it looked nice enough but it weighed next to nothing and was battery operated, i asked him how much etc and he said 10 quid off ebay, maybe he knew what he was getting and maybe he didnt, but i just left him to it anyway!

Edited by sabailand

8 hours ago, Nigelp said:

only one thing to do.... kill it.

I hope you are going to post the video. Maybe start a poll to decide the method of execution. 

That's a bit naughty, got to be so careful now on Ebay, there as so many fakes coming in from 'warmer climates' I won't name names, but, I am sure you all know where I mean.

The trouble is that private sellers are buying them and then putting them staright back onto Ebay to get rid of them, gone are the country of origin details which give the game away normally.

Very common sadly... almost all from Ukraine or (90%) India. Utter crap pretending to be vintage SQ models. The worst of the bunch are the 'slim' branded ones... the range never even existed!

I have lost count of how many I've reported, ebay don't care.  Messaged sellers to be met with a mouthful of abuse. 

The thing to realise is that the "dealers" for these are very rarely watch dealers... Just profiteers who have seen these things going for a tenner shipped from India and think they can double up on them.  Watch collectors should never ever be getting caught out with them (Nigel!), as it's basically "buyer beware".

I have bought a couple through my secondary eBay account for no other reason than to leave negative feedback. Anything we can do to discourage the sale and distribution of these is a great thing. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

Watch collectors should never ever be getting caught out with them (Nigel!)

i know kev, ive still got a lot to learn i'll get there onwards and upwards. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

As Seiko increasingly becomes a collectible brand, I am expecting a plethora of fakes in the near future. Indeed, it seems that the fakers have already discovered this lucrative area of fakery. The problem is that fakers are now moving downmarket to avoid the close examination that wary purchasers engage in before buying the more luxurious brands, and given that watches are actually very cheap to produce these days in the Far East, the faking business will continue almost unabated even when faking the less expensive brands.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

As Seiko increasingly becomes a collectible brand, I am expecting a plethora of fakes in the near future. Indeed, it seems that the fakers have already discovered this lucrative area of fakery. The problem is that fakers are now moving downmarket to avoid the close examination that wary purchasers engage in before buying the more luxurious brands, and given that watches are actually very cheap to produce these days in the Far East, the faking business will continue almost unabated even when faking the less expensive brands.

I think your 20 years behind lol.

The term FAIKO was coined a very long time ago hahahaha.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

good point Honour and with the expensive brands, you want to see some of the superclone Rolex coming out of AF factory and noob. 

not to mention AR....

• Like 1

Yes, dear @MSC, you may well be right. When it comes to buying watches, I am just an everyday punter looking at watches on my rounds, and the major rise in the number of fakes of non-luxury brands has become very noticeable to me only relatively recently. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Yes, dear @MSC, you may well be right. When it comes to buying watches, I am just an everyday punter looking at watches on my rounds, and the major rise in the number of fakes of non-luxury brands has become very noticeable to me only relatively recently. :)

From 10 years ago.

These fakes sold very well on ebay.

DSC_6071.JPG

•  
12 hours ago, Nigelp said:

i know kev, ive still got a lot to learn i'll get there onwards and upwards. :thumbsup:

Nigel that was very much tongue in cheek,  I was laughing with you rather than at you! Haha.

• Haha 1

My dear Kevin @kevkojak, I must admit that I did feel you might also be laughing AT me when you put an LOL emoji on my initial post on this thread as well as an LOL on the post by MSC implying that I was woefully out of date in my remarks. I trust that, as with Nigel, you were laughing WITH me and a bit tongue in cheek. As for MSC, it seems that I can't satisfy him on this matter - oh well, you can't win them all.:)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Always"watching" said:

My dear Kevin @kevkojak, I must admit that I did feel you might also be laughing AT me when you put an LOL emoji on my initial post on this thread as well as an LOL on the post by MSC implying that I was woefully out of date in my remarks. I trust that, as with Nigel, you were laughing WITH me and a bit tongue in cheek. As for MSC, it seems that I can't satisfy him on this matter - oh well, you can't win them all.:)

I was only joking about, all counterfeiting is getting worse of course.

There are fakes of fakes these days, they had to change the 1 pound coin because there were so many lead ones

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kevkojak said:
  •  

Nigel that was very much tongue in cheek,  I was laughing with you rather than at you! Haha.

I know that Kev! You worry too much mate, but ive still got a lot to learn, sorry for the late reply ive been spraying the wheels again on my car. :yes:

3 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

no honour it was in the spirit of things ie these being silly fakes and us all having a laugh together mate! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 22/08/2019 at 19:19, Always"watching" said:

the faking business will continue almost unabated even when faking the less expensive brands.

I have said the same thing on the forum recently and been rebuffed, along the lines of " it's so expensive to make a batch of watches that are convincing, you need to target an expensive brand to recoup the costs", but as pointed out above, cheaper watches get less scrutiny prior to purchase (less perceived risk or expectation of being copied), may be part of a huge range and therefore not as familiar as iconic pieces from expensive but low volume manufacturers, and even when discovered are perhaps less likely to cause the buyer to involve law enforcement, over 10 or 20 quid.  They can be produced and sold in volume, and cheaply - I am sure you can put a 3D scanned file into a CNC or milling machine and out they pop - even our maintenance department make one-off spare parts on a CAD-CAM machine the size of a letterbox for obsolete machinery.  They'll fake anything.

• Like 1