• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
niveketak

Has this ever happened to you?

Was passing the afternoon and Kate asked me what time it was, I told her quarter past one. Later same question, quarter to three. Later the same question and when I looked the watch had stopped at quarter to three. Never happened to me before a watch stopping while I was wearing it. Pierre Cardin and this is an old pic.

RZpPSUk.jpg

Changed the battery, movement was a surprise to me, a Ronda 5030D gold plated 13 jewel. I think I expected a cheapie movement with it being a "fashion" brand so it was a pleasant surprise. Had to Google how to set it after faffing around doing the wrong thing. All is now well again.

Ever had a watch stop while you were wearing it?

Edited by niveketak
  • Like 1

Never had a solar stop! Me other quartz do the 'low bat quick step' with plenty of advance notice to get a fresh cell ordered. 

Not worn a purely hand wound in a while and auto is auto :thumbsup: 

I had a kinetic at one point but it's not a great idea if you wear watches in rotation. 

Short answer - nope :laughing2dw:

Edited by Rotundus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, niveketak said:

Ever had a watch stop while you were wearing it?

Yep, all mechanical.

Not really a problem, just select one from the three or four, maybe five (?), others I have.

:(

• Like 2

Yep as above i lived with 6 mechanical watches for a month and they stopped at different times depending on the winds id given them and the movement i guess most people back in the day just had one and kept it wound with the odd turn now and again all day. Being a child of the 80s as much as i respect the mechanical movements...im now back with qtz.  

never had one stop on me no but it can happen. 

• Like 1

Loads of times. Forget to wind it in the morning and it stops by afternoon.

I never remember my grandfather’s watch stopping. Every day he would sit by the radio and wait for the 1 pm Greenwich pips. He would wind and set his watch and on the final pip would say “Clon o’wock”.  He was a prolific Spoonerist and generally annoying old bloke...I have never met anyone so wedded to routine.

Among his favourite foods were chish and fips, acon and beg, pottage kie and boast reef. Oh, and he loved Pistmas Crudding! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't recall it...   All of my quartz have had low battery indicators so I wasn't taken by surprise. 

I guess some digital in my youth ran out on my wrist but I wasn't a watch nerd at the time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AVO said:

Loads of times. Forget to wind it in the morning and it stops by afternoon.

I never remember my grandfather’s watch stopping. Every day he would sit by the radio and wait for the 1 pm Greenwich pips. He would wind and set his watch and on the final pip would say “Clon o’wock”.  He was a prolific Spoonerist and generally annoying old bloke...I have never met anyone so wedded to routine.

Among his favourite foods were chish and fips, acon and beg, pottage kie and boast reef. Oh, and he loved Pistmas Crudding! :laugh:

sounds like my Grandma was he a Barrister too? She was hard work too clever by half. A round to eat = plate. 

• Like 1

I had a Sinclair black watch that ran out on me once a fortnight!

other than that the only time it had happened was with a plain two-hander quartz so no 2-second or 4-second warning system. Just stopped. 

If I know I’m unlikely to wear a particular quartz for quite a long time I just pull out the crown and put it in a safe and then reset it on the next occasion when I go back to it months later. Batteries last forever that way, at least on the ones I’ve got. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

I had a fairly new Bulova stop on me.  No second hand, so no warning...

My two hand Seiko has a minute hand that moves every 10 secs, but pretty sure it's every 20 secs on low battery from memory

• Like 1

my sumo stops at quarter past when i first put it on if i set the time any where after ten to. the blumo does the same

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ging said:

my sumo stops at quarter past when i first put it on

I have a Timex like that and it is because the hands on mine are slightly misaligned - it's a very old watch and probably been dropped - and I believe the second hand can actually foul the minute hand at the 'quarter past' position when it is a spring tide, and Jupiter is aligned with Venus.  Would cost more than the watch to have it serviced.  Perhaps I should do it myself?