• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
johnbaz

Cal 89 IWC refurb..

Hi all

I've had this watch for years, Got it for a quid at the bootsale, It runs well and keeps time to say how scruffy it is inside(Shorter hand is actually the minute hand!!)I reckon it must have been a plaything for the kids and had no crystal in or something!! :(

Over on facebook a chap that restores watches says he will fully restore it for £600, Would the watch be worth £600 when restored or would it be a pricey project?,  Is that the going rate for a full resto? (Never had one done before!!) 

FS8dNxa.jpg eNJBFQV.jpg

I don't actually have £600 spare at the moment so had to tell the chap that it'll have to wait (Been off work for ten weeks after a replacement knee!!)..

John :)

• Sad 1

The IWC script seems to be one of the harder ones to get right.  Redials tend to stand out a mile, and that hurts values.  But if it owes you £601 you will be okay IMHO

Alternatively sell it to someone else to take on, and you will be hundreds up and hassle free

• Like 1

That sounds like a lot of money for a refurbishment. The movement runs so that is just a service, any surface rusting can be polished out

As previously said the dial i would keep on there as it is original, changing the dial will hurt its value

I would fit new hands and clean the case, if you want to move it on feel free to message me

What do you know about the restorer on Facebook? You can end up with a real mess, or having to get the job done twice if you're not careful. I'd be cautious of someone who gives you an estimate without physically seeing the watch.

@simon2 has worked on two of my old watches and I was happy with the results. You can contact him here or at https://www.essexclockandwatchclinic.com/