• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Which one? help me on an all-round piece that's isn't a submariner

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of the ones you listed, it would be the Blancpain for me.   Out of all the ones on the page the Omega Aqua Terra is the one I like best. 

You seem to be missing a photo of a seamaster.    As all around watches go I can't think of anything more versatile. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Probably the only Omega I would like.

omega-seamaster-railmaster-omega-co-axia

Grandpa watch with faux aged lume.... Its nice , but only with a packet of Wurthers Originals by your side and a repeat of Bergerac on the TV ... the OP needs something that bridges the generations and still does "Jaunty" :thumbsup:

• Haha 2
55 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Probably the only Omega I would like.

omega-seamaster-railmaster-omega-co-axia

26 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Grandpa watch with faux aged lume.... Its nice , but only with a packet of Wurthers Originals by your side and a repeat of Bergerac on the TV ... the OP needs something that bridges the generations and still does "Jaunty" :thumbsup:

I've been seriously considering this since trying it recently, but yes the faux ageing is the only iffy part. Also although I like the simplicity of the hands I'm unsure if it will go down well in future having lost the arrow hands of all the previous models?

With that being said, I think it's a fantastic looking and incredibly understated watch, great for roping in enthusiasts without standing out, the strap is spot on too!

9 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Bravo, sublime. :laughing2dw:

resized_272427-flashback-0323_74-24417_t

Edited by WRENCH
2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

the OP needs something that bridges the generations and still does "Jaunty" 

Ok Gok Wan.

@Citi3enkane who is the watch for ? (Think about it) Given the choice in your first post, there are none I would personally want, and @JonnyOldBoy (site fashion guru) doesn't like my choice of Omega :laughing2dw: , you're just going to get a bamboozling choice thrown at you. All good fun of course, but buy what YOU like, and be a rebel. :thumbsup:

Did anyone mention residuals ?

No, good.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, TDC said:

With that being said, I think it's a fantastic looking and incredibly understated watch, great for roping in enthusiasts without standing out, the strap is spot on too!

If its part of a collection of watches then I see its allure for some ,,, but for a daily do-most-things watch , I just think its way too dull and you would tire of it very quickly.

Daily wearing watches for those with a small-to-non-existent collection are a different beast and the tolerances of "neutrality" are smaller to allow the watch to be worn and ignore to some extent. There is a bit of basic psychology with all this of course that is not 100% applicable to all, but its worth thinking about.

There is a reason Breilting Colts, Omega ATs , Seiko GSs, TAG Carreras sell in huge volumes , its because they just fit so many purposes.

Being as you want to "attract WIS" with your purchase, I would certain take the advice of @scottswatches and take a deeper look at Zenith....

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Speedy112 said:

Difficult to find one watch that could cover all occasions..but this must come pretty close from the watchmakers watchmaker.56fa3d8bc44bad8532c2c0dc151f5f6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice , but a bit of a design faux-pas there for me ... the numbers 3,6,9 are slightly too small the 2 in the "12" is wider so they could line it up under the markers better but that was a mistake... they should not have squeezed those three digits..... in my most humble of opinions ....

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Agree, but this I prefer.

large.15690616302796233053716282755797.jpg.d8b6f6f2755591aefdeadaa06d6f4264.jpg

and I have both.

Is that the BB36? I think the size is superior to the current explorer but other areas such as lume, heritage - the explorer edges it, although I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. The 114270 is 36mm and remains a stunning timepiece that is hard to beat. 

My tuppenceworth.

"Allrounder" seems to imply "suitable for all occasions"  --  from T-shirt/jeans through to suit/tie (and possibly even "black tie").

If that is your desire, I'd avoid any diver with an external bezel  --  even though there are much prettier ones than the Submariner. Normal watches always seem to dress down better than chunky divers and chronos dress up.

I'd also be chary of going much over 40mm diameter (unless you are a heavyweight wrestler).

Of the suggestions so far proffered, I'd have to agree with the Aqua Terra  --  an allrounder is by definition a compromise, and the AT is just that. It's not a macho diver, but it is tough enough to hold its own  --  and it's definitely not a fine dresser, but again, it's smart enough to pass muster. It's also a rather fine watch.

I also love Zenith, but the pilots and chronos are likely to be too macho, and the Elites (whilst very elegant) are probably too dressy to be an allrounder. Grand Seikos are wonderful things but [tin hat on] they tend to look like Seikos.

Oh, and if you can afford it and like the slightly more sterile design language, the JLC is a cut above again.

HTH

Edited by yokel

I'm not a 'one watch' kinda person but if I had to be, it would certainly need to be something more interesting than an AT! But (critically) to each their own...

The JLC Polaris is a superb shout, as are other slightly more 'dressy' options from the same company if that was your preference.

However, if you're considering something less 'sporty' (and an order of magnitude less obvious) and you want to make me very jealous: https://www.dornblueth.com/

• Haha 1