• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
TDC

Polishing Acrylic/Plastic

Sorry chaps- I know I've seen a thread with recommendations on the best product to use to tidy up a plastic crystal but can't find it.

I just want to buff the small scuffs out of the latest watch I've bought without trying to make it look new- can someone remind me what the name of the product is please?  (Or advise me on this subject if there is anything I should know).

Many thanks,

TC

22 minutes ago, TDC said:

Sorry chaps- I know I've seen a thread with recommendations on the best product to use to tidy up a plastic crystal but can't find it.

I just want to buff the small scuffs out of the latest watch I've bought without trying to make it look new- can someone remind me what the name of the product is please?  (Or advise me on this subject if there is anything I should know).

Many thanks,

TC

I did this a while ago , it may be of interest to you 

1 hour ago, TDC said:

Many thanks,

TC

Most of the pics have disappeared.

Brasso, Solvol Autosol, T Cut, Almost any abrasive polish will clear scratches from acrylic, mineral is a bit tougher to do though, Cerium oxide is normally used but here's an old SQ that doesn't run but the mineral crystal was in a state, I used emery cloth then Autosol and lastly brasso as it's not as coarse as Autosol!!

I used a sheet of glass for flatness and held the watch byt the bracelet and rubbed, It took around 30 minutes to get to the final state but could do with another ten mins!!

8EMvMHR.jpg

In this pic i'd gotten rid of the deep scratches on two different grades of abrasive cloth and am about to use the solvol autosol applied to card, Had to replace the card a couple of times as it wore away!

SCgFF8n.jpg

This is how I held the watch!

u1oGQsu.jpg

And the finish, needed a bit more rubbing, Silvo can be used as a final poish as it's less abrasive than any of the other stuff :thumbsup:

eMyHiBy.jpg

John :)

Edited by johnbaz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, johnbaz said:

And the finish, needed a bit more rubbing, Silvo can be used as a final poish as it's less abrasive than any of the other stuff :thumbsup:

eMyHiBy.jpg

That's an amazing result. So you're rubbing the watch down on the emery cloth, not rubbing the cloth on the watch.

Edited by spinynorman

19 hours ago, spinynorman said:

That's an amazing result. So you're rubbing the watch down on the emery cloth, not rubbing the cloth on the watch.

Yes, It's keeps the crystal flat, I think rubbing the crystal with the emery cloth would result in edges being rubbed away with any slips of the hand!!

I could have done with some much finer abrasive cloth/paper and gone down in grit sizes to keep removing tjhe scratches but didn't have any!! 

This fella does an excellent job of creating a  mirror from a sheet of stainless steel- Amazing job!!

Pretty sure the same result could  be had with mineral glass too with the correct kit..

John :thumbsup:

I would also recommend Poly Watch, if you do it by hand (without a Dremel attachment or equivalent) you can check on the finish you want to achieve and have more control!

• Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 19:20, johnbaz said:

Autosol and lastly brasso

Good shout - I went Autosol (arrived this morning) then Cape Cod, then Silvo!