• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
ong

Vintage Rolex, is the bubble about to burst?

3 minutes ago, ong said:

Possibly because they hyped it up to the point they thought it would sell due to its "Bond" tie-in when in fact the watch in question was "just the same model" ..... Sounds like Sothebys being unrealistic rather than a bursting bubble ...  

• Like 3

Perhaps it had an obscene starting bid, and the estimation put anyone off?  It must be a blow for a company like Rolex when something like that happens- as it starts rumours just like this which create doubt and devalue the company!

• Like 1

"Sotheby’s estimated that the Rolex .... would sell for between $180,000 and $280,000". 

That's the funniest thing I've seen today :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Vintage Rolex market remains strong..people should be a lot more concerned if they are paying well over RRP on new pieces..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In the end anything, be it a house, a car, a gold ingot, or a watch, is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it. :yes:

There are antiques that thirty years ago were worth £ thousands, but today are work only a few £ hundred.  These have become "yesterday's antiques".  Today there's little demand where once there was alot.  Collectables have tended to go the other way in the last three decades and for alot of people a Rolex has become simply a tradeable commodity. 

It's down to sentiment, changing tastes, styles and priorities, the way we live, and increasingly socially acceptable purchasing behaviour (consider the plastic bag...or plastic anything come to think of it.).  But nothing ever stays the same for long.  It's nigh on impossible to forecast the future other than vaguely, whether you're an 'expert' or not.  Who forecast the 2008 financial crash?  Almost no-one, anywhere.

You have to decide for yourself what the right price is, don't believe the hype and don't get carried away. :thumbsup:

After all, one day you might find yourself in a Philadelphian pawn shop :biggrin:;

Edited by RTM Boy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

I knew I was right when I called it a beaten up knackered looking watch :laughing2dw:

Makes me wonder if I really like some of these old watches with "great patina" or if I've just been drawn into the whole vintage thing, similarly Sierra Cosworths have always been pretty cool but at £50,000 - £100,000 they look even more ugly next to other cars for the same money!

4 hours ago, Speedy112 said:

The Vintage Rolex market remains strong..people should be a lot more concerned if they are paying well over RRP on new pieces..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correction,

The Rolex market is strong, people should be a lot more concerned with paying well over RRP on new pieces.

7 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

Still can't see why any watch is worth more than 2 or 3 grand. :boxing:

Because people are willing to pay more than 2 or 3 grand

7 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Because people are willing to pay more than 2 or 3 grand

well thats a bloody stupid reason :tongue::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ZenArcade said:

Correction,

The Rolex market is strong, people should be a lot more concerned with paying well over RRP on new pieces.

Paid well over RRP for my 114060 ND but then again could be dead in 5 years, would be just my luck top of the list fall off the perch :laugh:. Life is to short for long pockets.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

well thats a bloody stupid reason :tongue::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Stupid but true.

Why pay more than £500 for a watch? Why pay more than £1000 for a watch?

Because people are willing to pay for it.

How much is your most expensive watch?

3 minutes ago, futuristfan said:

Paid well over RRP for my 114060 ND but then again could be dead in 5 years, would be just my luck top of the list fall off the perch :laugh:. Life is to short for long pockets.

Cant do it myself.  Would rather just wait, its just a watch after all.

Just now, ZenArcade said:

Stupid but true.

agreed 

1 minute ago, ZenArcade said:

Because people are willing to pay for it.

people can be so silly 

2 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

How much is your most expensive watch?

less than 2 large that I assure you :laugh:

Out and about I was looking at Air Kings, all too modern, but stupid (in my opinion) prices. All upwards of £3.6K. Did uncover a very fresh vintage oyster perpetual for around £2k with history box and papers. Swatch shop had some decent stuff too starting at £69.

2 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

agreed 

people can be so silly 

less than 2 large that I assure you :laugh:

And how much do you think went into producing that watch?  Laugh all you like but pay £200 and you would be lucky if £50 of work went into making it.

CW once came out with their watches are priced x3 the manufactures cost so why pay the price?  Because C Ward is such a nice guy folk want to pay for his new car?  CW can charge whatever they like so long as people are willing to pay and the harsh reality is people are willing to pay retail for a Rolex because it will hold its value.  Sensible option for a man on a promotion watch or retirement watch who had a few grand to spend.  Buy a Rolex and use whats left on some shed of a car.  You can still commute and get to the shops and you have a watch that worst comes to worse you can flog and and get your money back and possibly then some.  Try that one with a 6K car!

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Out and about I was looking at Air Kings, all too modern, but stupid (in my opinion) prices. All upwards of £3.6K. Did uncover a very fresh vintage oyster perpetual for around £2k with history box and papers. Swatch shop had some decent stuff too starting at £69.

Air kings seem to be rising in price perhaps because they have phased the smaller case out for the larger sized one and positioning the old ones as a ladies watch.  I always liked the old Air King. Plenty of oysterdate watches out there for a decent price between £1500 - £2000 though they seem to be rising depending on condition.  

Best priced vintage are without doubt Accurist.  One of the most unloved brands out there and can be found for £50 or there abouts in excellent condition.

well the bubble was supposed to burst in 1989 on all things classic and desirable and everything has still gone up in price, old cars old watches etc...thought it depends what the next generation want...like mgb's and mk2 jags have stagnated of fallen so will some watches and so will some rolex, i expect along with the jags and mgbs the manual wind bubble backs will drop and like the pug gti the daytona and sub wont. 

13 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Cant do it myself.  Would rather just wait, its just a watch after all.

Agreed most of them are just watches but life is about experiences and experience has taught me that striking while the iron is hot works for me for now. The moment presented itself it was me or the other guy and you know there is always another guy.

The talk is the bubble will burst eventually personally I don't agree I think the UK market will be one of the last to be furnished whilst other economies continue to grow. As a knock on vintage sports will rise even the Milgauss 116400 & concentric dials are growing in value although both were not well received initially. The OQ and entry level perpetuals are starting to rise and people are paying, Possibly a better return than your average ISA. :yes:  

if a bubble bursts in the woods does anyone hear it pop? apart from the bears and we know what they are doing there dont we :rolleyes:

• Confused 1

Just now, Rotundus said:

if a bubble bursts in the woods does anyone hear it pop? apart from the bears and we know what they are doing there dont we :rolleyes:

Having a picnic are they not :laugh: whilst debating 1st world problems and GS vs Rolex

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

eh?

talk **** like the above?

:rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, futuristfan said:

Agreed most of them are just watches but life is about experiences and experience has taught me that striking while the iron is hot works for me for now. The moment presented itself it was me or the other guy and you know there is always another guy.

The talk is the bubble will burst eventually personally I don't agree I think the UK market will be one of the last to be furnished whilst other economies continue to grow. As a knock on vintage sports will rise even the Milgauss 116400 & concentric dials are growing in value although both were not well received initially. The OQ and entry level perpetuals are starting to rise and people are paying, Possibly a better return than your average ISA. :yes:  

Indeed much better than your average ISA.  I couldnt believe the price rise when I bought mine and like many people why buy a watch thats going to sink like a stone the minute you walk out the shop.  People can whinge all they like and create as many threads as they want about how evil and bad Rolex are but the harsh reality is who in their right mind would pay 5K for a watch knowing its going to drop 1K the second they walk out the shop? Or spend half their lives scratching around online dealers hoping for a quick discount or the Pound to sink to snatch a bargain?

Datejust watches were going at a 10% discount not so long ago now they are on the sacred waiting list.

Never mind, I'm sure you can pick up a nice watch from another brand, I'm sure your kids will appreciate it when they ever try to sell and find they will be lucky to get 50% of its value back.

• Like 1

no no no its like this mate, rolex are going up and seiko down its in the bible it would be that way moses mount everst and the carnival of grasses parabol 22. 

13 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

i was intercepted mate 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

no no no its like this mate, rolex are going up and seiko down its in the bible it would be that way moses mount everst and the carnival of grasses parabol 22. 

i was intercepted mate 

Once upon a time GS were excellent value for money.  I think a GS quartz even on import tax was about £1200 a mechanical was about £2500 I remember their decorated hand wind one was coming in at £2600 about 3K on import tax.

Then came the drop in sterling and the wake up from Seiko that there were plenty of mugs (Sorry customers) willing to pay a premium on a GS watch so they jumped in with EU dealers and bumped the prices up accordingly.  They even treated us to several grand versions of their oversized divers (You know, the ones were were used to buying for a few hundred quid) but hey, they had "Japanese polishing" on the case and bracelet.  Never mind that Citizen had the same, better accuracy, perpetual calendar and more interesting dials Seiko (In spite of the protestations of some) Were the Rolex of Japan, sacred, could do no wrong and must be protected at all costs.  Never mind we were slowly getting fleeced with endless limited editions that sunk like a stone tied to a rock it was a Seiko thats all that mattered.  Seiko are the little guy sticking it to the "man" those evil Swiss (In spite of Seiko being one of the largest watch companies in the world)  Never mind that while say Rolex used precious metal on their batons GS used some kind of metal that looked a mess (Take a look at one on TZUK for proof) it was a GS it cant be wrong. Never mind the shoddy customer service offered by Seiko (Experienced that myself)  People dont seem to realise they are treating GS with the same kind of irrational blind faith that some treat Rolex.

• Like 1