• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
ong

Vintage Rolex, is the bubble about to burst?

Getting back to the original subject matter..the Vintage Rolex market even in times of recession like 2008 and onwards remains relatively stable.. the prices of almost all vintage watches from all brands from the top to the bottom has seen a steady increase all being dragged along with peoples awareness due to various social media outlets which has changed our hobby/ illness forever..There are people that are willing to pay huge amounts for that must have piece with great provenance... but this submariner was just a early submariner and probably the one all serious collectors would prefer..but the estimate was just a fantasy figure with ridiculous expectations...Vintage is cool and remains a great hunting ground for those  who choose to stay away from the herd..

Edited by Speedy112

54 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

Vintage is cool and remains a great hunting ground for those  who choose to stay away from the herd..

I couldn't agree more . I personally just wouldn't pay that amount of money on a vintage Rolex , even if I had the money , which I don't :laugh:

I have a particular interest in the history of watchmaking and the various innovations / inventions , and the individuals who are important in the history of horology .

I could just imagine the collection of vintage watches I could own for a lot less than the money wanted for that particular Rolex . But watch collecting is of course highly subjective .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

These "Tropical" dials came about out of a production flaw during the 1950/60s . During this period companies like Rolex used a chemical on the dials to stop the dials from fading :laugh: little did they know at the time , down the years while these watches were worn a lot and exposed to sunshine that the chemical reacted and turned the dials "tropical" . I believe the term "tropical" comes from the watches that was issued to military serviceman  who was stationed abroad and wore the watches in very sunny conditions . So not only do these people with more money than sense pay thousands for a degraded / discoloured dial , they are also paying for a watch that has been well and truly used over the years .:laugh:

Very interesting indeed ... thanks for that ... Also modern dials that are painted, lacquered, plasticised or cast-coloured will have dials that deteriorate to minor levels from day1 as exposed to sunlight. The only way to stop photo reaction is to coat the underside of the crystal or use a UV barrier mineral glass. Currently no mainstream watch manufacturer to my knowledge uses these options because both will optically distort to some degree. So they do their best to minimise photo reaction using various means but ultimately , watches will wear to some degree if used to any degree. 

10 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

These "Tropical" dials came about out of a production flaw during the 1950/60s . During this period companies like Rolex used a chemical on the dials to stop the dials from fading :laugh: little did they know at the time , down the years while these watches were worn a lot and exposed to sunshine that the chemical reacted and turned the dials "tropical" . 

Indeed Bernie.

This anomaly was also prevalent in dial treatments in the 40’s, particularly with the applied lacquers which we required the use of petrochemicals, which was in short supply due to the conflict.

Tissot, Omega, & Gub (Glashütte) stand out to me, as I’m fortunate to own some.

Thankfully there are some expert refinishers around that are able to remove, only, the degraded lacquer without disturbing the rest of the dial, then reapply a modern lacquer.

A once illegible watch dial can now be made usable/wearable, but still maintaining, in most part, it’s originality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Thankfully there are some expert refinishers around that are able to remove, only, the degraded lacquer without disturbing the rest of the dial, then reapply a modern lacquer.

A once illegible watch dial can now be made usable/wearable, but still maintaining, in most part, it’s originality.

Which makes me baffled when I hear a £20K Rolex would "loose" £5k of value if it has a £1.5K bespoke restoration on the dial .... just don't get that part of watch collecting...

10 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Which makes me baffled when I hear a £20K Rolex would "loose" £5k of value if it has a £1.5K bespoke restoration on the dial .... just don't get that part of watch collecting...

Many collectors (in all areas) including myself, don’t give a to!! about investment values!

There’s no pockets in shrouds!

We are only here once...

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Karrusel said:

Many collectors (in all areas) including myself, don’t give a to!! about investment values!

There’s no pockets in shrouds!

We are only here once...

:notworthy:

• Haha 1

Many Collectors of old items would much prefer the faded Well Worn Rusted Abused look now lovingly called "Patina" as they like to think the piece has lived a life.and are happy to pay a healthy premium for that distressed look rather than the highly polished restored item..think very carefully about having that old collectable restored back to as new as it can seriously damage its value. 

I do care about investment values, though I collect because I love watches and not for that reason. I am planning to sell my watches in 20 years and live it up somewhere abroad so naturally I don't want to lose my shirt,  nor am I willing to have a box of Rolex watches just for investment. 

It should be painfully obvious why spending £1500 on a watch and making it non standard will lose £5000.   It is all about perception and supply vs demand.   People want it original... Simples. 

We all have our own personal opinions on value and they may be driven by different criteria than the market.   Often my sense is at odds.  Ultimately we can only control our behaviour though,  we can't tell everyone else they are wrong to favour one thing over another but simply to understand what the market likes and dislikes.   

51 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I do care about investment values

Also for me, particularly in property, land, & business investments.

But, for hobbies (horology), pastimes, recreational, charitable activities, sensible, prudent rules do not apply for me.  Participating & enjoying these come at an obvious cost (none recoverable in most part)...so just enjoy it!  The scenario of investing ‘everything sensibly’ into a box of trinkets, quite frankly, would mortify me. :(

When you have spent a working lifetime (acting responsibly) raising a family, providing & maintaining lifestyles for others, we/I can now (fortunately) do as we please.

51 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

we can't tell everyone else they are wrong to favour one thing over another 

Correct!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Participating & enjoying these come at an obvious cost (none recoverable in most part)...so just enjoy it!  The scenario of investing ‘everything sensibly’ into a box of trinkets, quite frankly, would mortify me. :(

Presumably you are aware of the watches I own (as in my signature). Do you think the cost is not recoverable or do you believe I didn't participate and enjoy?    I can tell you that if I sell my watches I will likely not lose anything, the profit the AP would make would more than cover any loss from any other...   I can tell you I enjoyed participating all the more knowing this and hunting out the best watches I could for the best price I could. 

I don't know why it should mortify trying to get some value for money.  I like watches, and while I am willing to waste money on gallivanting around Eastern Europe and eating out every night I see no reason to be wasteful in a hobby that need not be. 

It would be a boring world if we were all the same.   I have no malice towards your approach but I do find it amusing that my approach is often met with dissaprobation which is unfathomable to me. 

I must admit I had to consider re-sale and value in the last two years mainly because I bought and sold about a dozen expensive watches... now I am settled with my lot and the dust has settled , I can genuinely see you both @Karrusel and @Daveyboyz have valid approaches for you particular version of this wonderful hobby.

My last sell-to-buy [ SuperOcean to Colt 44 ] was a zero pounds swap but could so easily have been a £1200 loss had I not navigated the market place carefully. With two kids now at Uni , I can barely afford clothes let alone to blow £1200 ... :laugh:

• Like 1

My paragraph in full...

3 hours ago, Karrusel said:

But, for hobbies (horology), pastimes, recreational, charitable activities, sensible, prudent rules do not apply for me.  Participating & enjoying these come at an obvious cost (none recoverable in most part)...so just enjoy it!  The scenario of investing ‘everything sensibly’ into a box of trinkets, quite frankly, would mortify me. :(

56 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

trying to get some value for money.  

For me, only in property, land & business investments, hobbies, recreational activities come at an ‘obvious’ cost, which I accept happily!

Although, my collection of old tat, should I ever wish to move it on (highly unlikely), I know would show me a very healthy profit.  Have never purchased a timepiece with a view to selling for profit at a later date. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

It would be a boring world if we were all the same.   

Agreed!

Hope this has cleared up my interpretations of sensible spending, which may (?) differ to others.

We are only here once.

:laugh:

• Like 1