• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Tazmo61

Discovering Charles Frodsham (Short film)

The film looks at some British horology history , with a meeting / interview with Richard Stenning ( watchmaker , historian and co-owner of Charles Frodsham ) The film also introduces their first wristwatch featuring an incredible intricate regulating organ . Well worth a look IMO (film is 12 mins)

https://www.watchestv.com/videos/2019/8/23/discovering-charles-frodsham-amp-an-amazing-regulating-organ

• Thanks 1

Enjoyed that Bernie, thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Nice to see their acknowledgement of three English horological greats, John Harrison, George Daniels & Derek Pratt.

If I may add a bit more to the above clip...which some may find of interest ?

As mentioned, Derek Pratt's double wheel remontoir tourbillion was the inspiration & his personal contribution in developing Frodsham's double impulse chronometer.

Here is Derek's Double-Wheel Remontoir Tourbillion...

Derek Pratt Double-Wheel Remontoir Tourbillon

Unlike Charles Frodsham, & probably anyone else (?), he could make every component of his timepieces, including the crystal!! :notworthy:

Including these oval, flying tourbillon watches...

Derek Pratt Urban Jürgensen & Sønner Oval Pocket Watch

Derek Pratt Urban Jürgensen & Sønner Oval Pocket Watch 2

Regarding John Harrison's achievements, they omitted to mention his Graasshopper Escapement invention, which required no lubrication.

A mesmerizing (too me) mechanism which seldom gets a mention today.  I did attend an event where I was able to get up close to 2 superb reconstructions of his mechanisms...

gyBTbEV.mp4

The roller bearings Harrison used in his mechanism were made of cast iron, I believe no one knows how he achieved this ?...

pZ6QW3A.jpg

FJx9sfv.jpg

Hope you don't mind me adding to your enlightening thread, Bernie ?

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I don't mind at all , Alan . There is some interesting additional information in your post , very interesting indeed . I had no idea Harrison's roller bearings in his mechanism were made of cast iron , you learn something everyday . Thank you Alan , a great post with some great pictures. 

• Thanks 1