• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Richard734

Best car boot finds?

Have the day to myself tomorrow was was thinking of hitting one or two of the Bank holiday special car boots (that are more likely to have genuine booters rather than traders)

what are your best finds, or hints on what to look for?

I personally haven’t looked for many years, most people seem to eBay or GumTree anything half decent...

The last time I looked at a car boot I remember seeing some Armani, Diesel fashion watches which were pretty knackered! (Snapped leather strap - extra wide and not easy to replace) 

Well the only thing it’s likely to cost you is time, so it might be worth a look!?

I am an absolutely fanatical car boot freak ! The secret to success is to get to the sales as they set up. This means being there around 5.30am. Otherwise anything of interest will have been snapped up by hardened dealers by around 6.30am.
Here are some finds from the last few weeks. Not all watches, but I can't resist a quality bargain:
7d204c5cf95226fafde64990a291abf4.jpgde545a016567b0fcc88d555e180313d7.jpg
The trench watch above cost 50p. I restored it by fitting a period Cyma movement:
0b7eed7ea177cc4d8be424bb5dbc0cf4.jpg
A few other assorted finds:
4219229789e63afe8a3c0cc76034f8a9.jpgafcc651ba58f542c152fb451aa3c857c.jpgc5b0a5e96b55b21d474663280064f64a.jpg749c84cb83553f9d009f20ec7502576e.jpg97fba23f7ae6517827b9cc0923e45cb9.jpgea69ebae585df1788a741dfb30154e61.jpgd965e5314a90a924ff5092ec282365d2.jpg9a38de961ca6a15ae6efaff6bb6068bd.jpg148d2e244f48773f5ef46f76df7a660b.jpg3a39f00ae9893d10f58cafa82ef5ca69.jpg5b6c80c4e5525a6602b2aae72d8ef411.jpgbf4de7254bf12f1627a9dc8ab62d0f64.jpg01e0f76f721a3a351eb6af9d1e056a00.jpg9c9efda7253dc2583db0fcec864e4d0e.jpg1e78c196bd05329caa2ac82531909d38.jpg994a5a0e0fbda2d1a434b797a5deae79.jpg
This gorgeous Georgian table cost me £5.00. I couldn't believe it !1b469eef9462c775cf51370b6c1d9b95.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mitadoc said:

Apparently, I go to different car boot sales as I usually find junk. Sad. 

What happens is all the local wheeler dealers turn up first thing as soon as they open the sale and hunt out anything good.

The early bird catches the worm in car boot sales.

• Haha 1

I go around 8 am. Should I go earlier then? Thanks. 
Definitely ! Go at the same time as the traders. It's a serious business these days. Started as a way to clear household junk, but now people buy and sell there for a living.
Apparently the current car boot find record is around 120k for a 16th century Chinese painters mixing pot. Found for 50p.

• Like 1

Probably about 15 years ago now in Addlestone early start 6am... I found 3 large boxes of pre war Marklin O'Gauge Trains and carriages and trucks along with many many other Marklin O' gauge Railway related pieces I paid the willing seller £50 being their asking price no haggling involved... being a collector I have sold many pieces over the years that i did not want and kept the desired items which remain much treasured with just one of the flatbed trucks with searchlight being worth probably 10x my original investment..unfortunately my children have no interest whatsoever in my collection so it will probably end up on Ebay  to the highest bidder or the local boot sale and so the wheel turns...  

Probably about 15 years ago now in Addlestone early start 6am... I found 3 large boxes of pre war Marklin O'Gauge Trains and carriages and trucks along with many many other Marklin O' gauge Railway related pieces I paid the willing seller £50 being their asking price no haggling involved... being a collector I have sold many pieces over the years that i did not want and kept the desired items which remain much treasured with just one of the flatbed trucks with searchlight being worth probably 10x my original investment..unfortunately my children have no interest whatsoever in my collection so it will probably end up on Ebay  to the highest bidder or the local boot sale and so the wheel turns...  
What a find !! Marklin really is the best.
When I lived in Switzerland, there is a monthly event called 'big bin day' where you can leave out for collection or for anyone, large household items. I found many brand new model kits, Revell, Aurora and the like. Cars, space vehicles, planes, trains. One day we picked up a leather sofa from outside David Bowie's house. Often thought of going there with a large van each month but there are many collectors who now do the rounds. Best place is Plainpalais market every Saturday in Geneva. Starts around 8am.

• Like 2

The one I went has a strict ‘no trading/early start’ policy, and to be fair, it seemed to be genuine. Just wasn’t anything I fancied there.

i get annoyed at the ‘car boots’ that are actually full of market traders selling bulk rubbish that I could get on Wish, and not a genuine booster in sight.

• Like 1

The one I went has a strict ‘no trading/early start’ policy, and to be fair, it seemed to be genuine. Just wasn’t anything I fancied there.
i get annoyed at the ‘car boots’ that are actually full of market traders selling bulk rubbish that I could get on Wish, and not a genuine booster in sight.
You're right about the traders. One car boot in Exeter has a meat lorry and the guy drones on through a microphone. Drives me mad. Some ban dogs, which is great since two large canines one either side of me decided to fight and I thought I was going to get my leg bitten off !
I don't agree with only letting everyone in at once because there's a surge and fights break out over items snatched by two people at the same time.

2 hours ago, Laughing gravy said:

Thats stunning

Thank you. I have to say it did need some attention from our own @simon2 to get it working properly. 

• Like 1

Car boot sales round our way are just vast fields of counterfeit sports wear , Pikeys selling stolen goods and poorly maintained vans selling condemned meat re-badged as "premium" .... am I selling this to you all !?!?

5 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Car boot sales round our way are just vast fields of counterfeit sports wear , Pikeys selling stolen goods and poorly maintained vans selling condemned meat re-badged as "premium" .... am I selling this to you all !?!?

:nono: